Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

Pansy BB, almost done

nicethyme
16 years ago

Well it's actually all the way done, but I'm making a stand for it (not mosaiced but decorative) out of a tin jardinare I bought last night at Micheals. so that combo will be the final pic.

here it is ungrouted. NOTE I put a nipple on it for shrty! LOL

{{!gwi}}

I mixed a light plum grout which I think makes the whole thing look like flowers stuck in cotton candy! But this is the first time I achieved a nice pattern in my fill and am pretty pleased over all.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (42)

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

NT, that's very pretty! And the, um, feature, for shrty, is, um, nice! LOL

• texaswild
    16 years ago

OH, NT - this is breathingly beautiful! Your talent amazes me w/every project. This is soooooooooo unique and wonderful. Those pansies look sooooo authenic, and your painting technique is just so gooooooood. What color is your background? It looks like the light lilac I bought at HobLob yesterday. Perhaps it's the grout that gives it that look. This is truly a pretty BB, and just might inspire me to mosaic one - never wanted to but this is - hmmmmmm - now I gotta find one. It looks so smooth. What size are your background tiles, and I DO like your pattern.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Ronnie, I just need something to designate the "top" so that I could arrange the flowers to face all the same.

Slow, it was a spectrum call dense white with pink something something... I'm just amazed that I managed to set each piece irridescent side out! lol

the fill is an average of 3/8th inch

here's a link to that particular glass

Here is a link that might be useful: white with pink irridescent

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Oh NICE, that is STUNNING! Colors of the pansies are so vibrant. WONDERFUL piece of art, AGAIN! Bravo!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Wow NT...I mean Double Dawg Snot! Very nice. the paint on the pansies really makes them!
    Wonderful grout color. I can't wait to see the stand that will go with it.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

That is so VERY pretty nice!!! You did a great job as always. The painted blacj in the center and the little yellow triangles really set it off...the auction is so lucky to have you!!!!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Sheesh! Too gorgeous for words!! So inspiring I wanna jump up and do one now!!! Love it!!!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, what a beautiful bb. This will certainly attract a lot of attention at the auction! Now you'll have to make one for yourself.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

It looks Amazing Nice! I love the design of your fill too!
    Just awesome!!!!

Hazie

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Absolutely awesomely stunning! WOW,WOW, WOW. Just goregous, the background design is beautiful and the pansies are just so perfect. Lovely, lovely work of art.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thankyou all, you ladies make my day!

I'm calling it DONE!!!

{{!gwi}}

The stand was a pressed tin thing in an antiqued bronze tone - ugly, no wonder they were half off. I sprayed it textured white, stuck on the 1/2 marbles then mixed up an iridescent medium with the pigment that I used in the grout and "antiqued" it. I also filled the bottom of it with cement for more balance.

I like this one so much it will be hard to give it away... but it's for a good cause Now, help me... what is the value of my donation? 100.00?

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

That is so pretty .You did a great job .Love it.I am not good at pricing things.

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

Thats so great I am in deep envy of you I still havent found a stinkin BB the bowling alley down the street looked at me like I was nuts and i got nervous so I used my status as a girl scout troop co leader and said i needed them for my G.S. troop if he found some he was willing to part with we would be appreciative but no one ever called me back and my sister was gonna snag me one from the pig pens in her schools FFA department but she hasnt had the oppurtunity yet she said they have about 45-50 of them just sitting there extras from the pigs for when gets worn down or breaks BTW the pigs use them as chew toys. cant wait to try one though asap

• crystal01
    16 years ago

That is so beautiful NT!!!! I would value it at min. $250.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

That's the prettiest set I've ever seen. Just love the stand, and what a grand idea to coordinate the color w/the ball. True artist!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Very pretty!! Ahem.. nice nipple LOL. I just love the color, and the pansies look wonderful!! And a perfect stand!! I love the whole thing. It will go for a good amount of money!!

Maria

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Nice ,late at seeing it completed but Oh my goodness it is beautiful..love the colors and design,stand EVERTHNG!!!!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Nicethyme your ball is just beautiful. I would think at least $200.00 but to me as someone else said it is priceless. Some day I will learn how to cut glass. And your adding painthing touches are so perfect. What a great job you did!!!

Chris

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

Nice,

That BB is truly beautiful!!!! WOW!

$100.00???? Who are you trying to kid? That's like giving it away. $250.00 is more like it, especially with that gorgeous stand. Yep, $250.00!

• tigerwiggy
    16 years ago

Beautimous, but then everything you do is. Love the stand. Looks like a woman with her hands on her hips. I'd go with $250 too.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL I see that too Tiger!

Gosh you all are so sweet, thankyou

I snapped a better pic this morning just for my keepsake, it looks way better outside.

{{!gwi}}

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm glad you took a better picture -that shows up much better. And as beautiful as it looks here, I bet it's even better in person! Beautiful!

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

I think that is my MOST favorite bowling ball yet! The pansies look almost real, I'll bet people will be fighting over that at the auction. When is the auction?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Little girl - you are a REAL artist. That is just outstanding, as all your art is. How can you part w/it? Do you have time to make another one and keep this one? If you're like I am, you give away some of your best work, and can't ever get around to making your favorites for yourself. Truly a spectacular piece.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy shmolly!! that is just too beautiful. Ain't enough money in the world.....

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrely and Slow, strangely - this auction isn't until Nov, but the donation party is tonight. These folks love to throw summer garden partys and because they are big supportors of the local daycare, they hold this party with the caveat that you must bring an item for donation.

I'm hoping that maybe people will see it and ask for commision work in the mean time??? who knows

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

it's beautiful and I know me..if I had unlimited funds to bid on somthing that's a one of a kind..I would never stop bidding, till I got it!

with the stand and the beauty and sturdiness of it, there's no reason to stay on the low end...

put a reserve for $300 on it..........
    when bidders learn that..they'll try hard to beat the reserve.
    if you were to go to a gallery and even try to find something like it....you would be hard pressed to come close to the combination you put together.
    with your established reputation as a mosaic artist now, you oughta know there's going to be a battle of bidders.

the only unfortunate part of it, is that it most likely won't be coming home with you...
    you sure you don't have time to duplicate it?

Becky .(*_*).

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Good advice, SEA - NT - You'll definitely be taking orders soon, girlie! Only thing is, you'll be so busy mosaicing for others, you won't have time for self.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Looks great in the sunlight!!

Everyone will love it at the party!!

Hmmm never been to a "garden party"' always just have barbecues!!LOL

MAria

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

As soon as I saw your ball on its stand I thought to myself that it looked like a person standing with their hands on their hips, glad I'm not the only one who saw it. LOL

Your ball is so beautiful NT! I can never work out a pattern for the background on my gazing balls. Your glass choices are amazing.

Barb

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Your bowling ball & stand is gorgeous! I love the color of the grout & the stand is outSTANDING. I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting commissioned pieces. I love how you painted your pansies. You are so creative.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Nice...I think 200.00 is a good price...I know I'm kinda late in the game with my opinion on that. I am having a heck of a time posting...I dont know if its the GW or my computer!! GRRR

You'll have to let us know how itturns out!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So I told them 250.00

The folks at the door that were taking the donations and recording it, seemed impressed. I was impressed with the food... tons of catered yummys. But we didn't stay too long, most of the guests are my clients and I'm not wanting to drink around them... but it was really nice and I recieved tons of compliments on their gardens.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Afraid you'll catch somethin"? ;-)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

didn't want to lose my perfessional persona ya know! lol

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH CRAP!!! I just got the invite for this auction.. it's the same damn night as my DD's BD sleepover party! WHINE WHINE WHINE... I wanted to be there to see if it sold well... DANG IT ALL!

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

nice- you're so right on that pattern in your fill; it has "movement!" I love it!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

oh, man, that's tough. It would have been so much fun to see the bidding!!

Maria

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know the caterer, maybe I should call her and see if she keep tabs on the auction for me. I don't know if it will be in the silent or live... I'm so distraught at missing this. I keep hoping Dh will volunteer to take over kid party duty and let me go... but YEAH RIGHT!!!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Tell him he has 3 choices! !) Go to the auction, 2) Do the party 3) Sleep on the couch!lol!! ha! Just kidding!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Could someone leave their phone open ? ( if not the silent type). You need someone there to keep up with the action for you!!

MAria

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

I missed the post somehow? Your BB is pricelesss!! Beautiful! Good luck...anxious to hear!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!