Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flagtruck

Cinder block plant stands finished

flagtruck
15 years ago

Well, I finally finished these and got the plants on them. Thanks Slow for bringing me the blocks and giving me the idea...These are fun...I already have three more blocks started. Hmmmmm....wonder if Lowes is open tomorrow.. I need more blocks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant stands

Comments (29)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

LOVE these! I like how you made 3 different sizes. I can see where this could get addicting...

• scootsmom
    15 years ago

Oooh I love these. They look like they were fun too. You did a fantastic job.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

I love that grouping of the 3 sizes!! Very nice!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Dang it, FLAG!!! I KNEW when I took those blocks down to you that you'd make them look 10 times more beautiful than my paltry efforts. Sure enough! Now I am thinking I have to take all mine down and mosaic the two sides that show. Don't care that my neighbor has to look at the bare back sides, but this does it! I HAVE to mosaic all the sides that show. Yours are just beautiful. I awoke this morning wondering how you'll arrange the ones for your huge flower pot? W/you put four together - or use them long-ways, hole side up, two abreast? I was also thinking of using them that way to make a planter in the holes, if I can figure out a place to put a planter. Since you're coming today, you can help me find that place.

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Those are such a wonderful grouping! Perfect with the pots to tie it all together. How did you cover the holes...with backerboard or are these the type without the holes? You annd slow sure do come up with the wonderful ideas and the super execution!

Pat

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Curb, I covered the holes on these with 6" tiles and a round tile..I have also discovered that a bread and butter plate will cover nicely also. I am going to cut some backerboard in the proper size strips to use on some..I found that by using the 6" tiles they went very fast.
    Slow-I didn't mean to upset you, I guess mine are visible from all sides, so I covered them. The large pot stand I am working on now will be 2 small and 2 large blocks topped of with a paver or upside down plant saucer,I sat these on pavers to give them more support. The other one will be a lot taller.
    Thanks to all of you for the compliments...I appreciate it.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Thanks flag for the info on covering the holes. I came back to look again to see how you did it!! A plate what a great idea!!

I have some bocks sitting here that I bought for another ( non-mosaic) project...but now one or two are going to be repurposed!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Great stuff! I do have a question or two tho and I may have missed the directions somewhere. I am assuming that thinset was used. Did you also use it on the inside of the blocks to seal? I have a couple that I have stacked outside and a broken half on top, kinda looks like a little house. I would love to mosaic this!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did not seal any thing on the blocks but the bottom that will sit down, I sat mine on pavers to give them a more solid footing. On the ones I stacked, I sealed the top of one and bottom of the other. Look at the ones Slow did, she left the sides open on her big ones and I don't know if she sealed them or not.
    I used thinset to adhere the tiles and thinset to grout so it should be impervious to the elements. The 6" tiles I used over the holes are some that I made and they fit the holes perfect. Where I used the round tile, I had a little bit of the hole still showing so I used a fairly large chunk of broken pottery over the holes.
    Slow picked up the blocks for me at Lowe's and brought them down to me...I went by Lowe's today to get some more, but they were very busy and it was too HOT to wait around so I will get more later...So these were Slow's idea first, but I am a copycat because I need stands so bad. I am now contemplating stacking several of the half blocks with a piece of pvc inside them and buried in the ground to keep them straight so I can go about 6-7' tall for some of my birdhouses. That's another project for another time.
    These things are addictive guys, so be ready to find blocks, they are quick and fun.
    You guys have fun with them...

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Great idea for a bird house. You might want to consider putting a piece of rebarb in it also.
    I am getting ready to make a bird feeder in a 5gal bucket of cement with a pvc pole with the rebarb in it. I have the feeder part made, waiting to do the cement. We haven't had much rain here in Texas, but as soon as I got the stuff out to do, it started raining off and on. Go figure.
    Thanks for the info.

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Txfern - if you have THAT kind of luck, come on up to North TX....we could sure use the rain! I'd even supply the mosaic supplies if you'd bring the wet stuff with ya! LOL!

Pat

• texasfern
    15 years ago

It was just enough to tease and make the humidity go thru the roof!
    That and cause me to not get my feeder done!
    I may be up that way in the fall, make take you up on that offer!

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

Flag,

Love the block plant stands. I've been drool over Slow's stands and now yours. The idea of stacking them for a bird stand would be great for my area. I live in NW Iowa where the wind blows very strong and anything not tied down gets blown away.

I have a question about your idea of using hardibacker board over the holes. Were you planning to cut the strip the size of the whole side of the block or enough to cover each individual hole? What do you plan to use to adhere the board to the block?

Block on Flag!

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny you should ask, I am on my way to WalMart to try to find a masonry blade for my jigsaw. I think I will cut the boards the size of the whole side of the block and adhere with thinset, this way I will have a smooth side to work on, I have some pieces left that came off the hardibacker when I cut out some table tops, they are narrow so I may turn them horizontal and cut several and make them fit so that I don't waste any. I cut these with a utility razor knife and have determined I don't want to do that again as I know my hands aren't strong enough. Mine hurt for a week after last time, so I will buy a saw blade and make it easier.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

By all means, wear a mask - this is cement board. Great idea, FLAG - was thinking the same thing about covering the whole side. I tell you - we're so smart! LOL

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

Flag, that sounds like a great plan. Let us know how it works out.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

There is a masonary blade for jigsaws??!!! Yippee! And yes let meet a Flags in the fall! and then go see Slow...and then....

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Let's all meet here, then we can do a progressive mosaic jaunt...here awhile, Slow's awhile....that would be sooooo
    fun. Just say when.
    I am not sure if there is a masonary blade for jigsaws, I am soing to try to find one. I will look at Harbor Freight website today. If I don't find one, I have a small concrete saw, wet or dry. It looks like a small circular saw or skil saw. I will use that and cut the hardibacker.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

These are so great!
    The ideas here just never end. Starting a wish book with all these beautiful things, to keep me busy with ideas
    till I can work again. Your work is so great Flagtruck.
    What inspired your user name, if you don't mind me asking?

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Love - go to my Flickr album and see a picture of my truck. I drove a truck leased to the Dept of Defense until I got hurt last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr album

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh! I LOVE those! They look terrific with the plants on them! I just BET they're addictive.......and what a great addition to your wonderful yard! Fun, fun fun!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

Where do i start? You have to have a partner in crime, there's no way you can keep up those beautiful flowers, yard, and all those other projects you have in that album.I am truely impressed.
    And by the way, I love your flagtruck, i'm all about Red, White and Blue.
    You have a really nice working area also.
    Your plant stands are great looking.
    bonnie

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

i forgot to ask you, do you cut those perfectly round pieces on some of your projects, i don't think i have ever seen tile or glass like that.
    bonnie

• texaswild
    15 years ago

LA - she DOES keep it all up w/occasional teensy help, but she is the most amazing person I know. She's up b/f daylight, and as soon as she can see outside, she's outside working in the garden or w/her toys. Wish I had her stick-to-i-tivity, energy, imagination, talent, creativity - well - you get the picture. She's a wonder woman! If you want a day in paradise, why don't you come see us? Where do you live in LA?

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LA- I make the round tiles from ceramic as I do a lot of my other tiles. There isn't any place around here to get any and it is order online, or Lowe's or Home Depot when I go to Texarkana.
    Slow, you flatter me too much. As of now, I am keeping it all up pretty much alone. When my sister is here she helps me a lot. I had help until a couple months ago and then my help couldn't keep up with me, said I worked him too hard!
    Men, glad I don't have to depend on one.
    Janice does most of the painting for me, like the swings and I do the mosaic. I have a guy that mows for me when I can get ahold of him which is sporattic. I do keep the pond and the weeding. Thank goodness I put in a sprinkler system several years ago so the watering pretty much takes care of itself.
    I am asking as Slow did, where are you in LA? Maybe you could come up and visit us? We are about 1.5 hrs North of Shreveport.

• kckeeper_earthlink_net
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I found your site today and enjoyed seeing your wonderful mosaic plant stands. The bright colors and interesting materials really appeal to me. Is there a place where I can find start to finish instructions? I have no experience with mosaics but it looks like a fun material to use. Are there other pictures of this project to look at? I would appreciate any suggestions for resources regarding mosaics for beginners.
    Also, has anyone done mosaics on plastic plant pots? I would prefer to use plastic over terra cotta.
    Thank you for sharing your time and talent.
    Keeper16

• flagtruck
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Keeper, I would not recommend plastic pots as they flex too much and the tile would pop off. This forum is about the best place for instructions I can tell you about. Some of the suppliers have how to instr on their sites. Do a google search for mosaic suppliers. I have a Flickr album that you went to to see these pics. Look at it and you will see a lot of work in progress pics. That's about the best I can do until you decide what you are going to work on and perhaps I can help you further then.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr album

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I'm so glad they're finished, and how wonderful they are! What I love most about this project is that they seem to be something a new person (like me) could do succesfully, as one can work on each side individually and take their time while learning. I know that I want to do some, and I've seen a thread here that someone else had done them since you and Slow posted yours. They're really great. More wonderful inspiration pieces for us all!

• keeper16
    15 years ago

Flagtruck,
    Thank you for your response. I looked at several of the pictures on your Flickr album. There are so many beautiful projects there. I also googled mosaic suppliers to get an idea of the kinds of materials that are available. I will probably start small to get familiar with the tools, tiles etc. I appreciate your support.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz