Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Block Light

Posted by cindiloo (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 19:10

Here is a block light I made for a friend for her 50th birthday. Stained glass, glass beads and mirror tiles.
The picture is taken with the lights on, but it is kind of hard to tell.

I used these cool mirror tiles that I got from Maryland Mosaics for a "frame"

I read a gazillion quotes about birthdays, getting old, friendship before settling on this simple sentiment.
I painted the back of the glass with 2 coats of burgandy acrylic paint and one coat of clear glitter paint and then modge-podged the words on.

I have 2 more light blocks ready to grout and will post pics (hopefully) soon! I really like making these...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Rose Block Light

WOW, that is really pretty., i've never seen anything like that. is that one of those glass blocks and you added the light fixture? did you have to cut all the petals on the rose and leaves? great job.
bonnie

o
RE: Rose Block Light

Thank you! There are others that I got inspiration, instruction, encouragment from...do a search for block light and look at some of the beautiful ones that Becky and Curbdriver have made, just to name a few.
I used a stained glass pattern I got off the web and used my ring saw to cut out the rose and the leaves. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the back of the block and put in a string of
20 mini-lights and then added a line switch so you can just turn it on instead of having to plug in and out. I swear putting on that line switch was sooooo frustrating cuz it's sooooo tiny and I didn't have the right tools with me!
Sorry so wordy....just had my afternoon espresso....better go get some housework done while I've got the caffiene flowing through me, LOL!

o

OMG! That is just the most beautiful piece of art!
cindloo..............Look at you go!!! You are
are becoming a REAL BIG TIME artist in no time flat!
WHOOO.........HOOOO! Look at you!!!!

o

This is so pretty. I have always liked these box lights, but this one is my favorite by far! Your friend is going to love it!

o

This is absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen anything like this. What a clever idea!!! This is definately a quality piece of art.

o

it's really beautiful cindiloo! im sure your friend will really treasure this too. Im off to do a search on block lights now because your creation has really peaked my interest now!

o

Cindiloo

That is my FAVORITE piece of yours. I love it, the rose petals are fantastic, and the leaves on the rose, awesome. However did you cut those teeny tiny squares around the flower???

LOve those tiles from Maryland Mosaics. I just ordered some mesh from her along with some mac glue , feel like trying a gog myself but I think i must be looking at different blocks at Lowes. They wanted $20 a piece!!! Too steep for me right now..

This is truly gorgeous and I love how you installed the lights. How many more do you have to do??? Keep the pix coming, I love to be inspired.

o

Beautiful! I can't wait to see the others!

o

Thanks all! You are all just too nice! MERMAID, LOL! The 'teeeny tiny squares' are glass beads!
Last year I was lucky enough to pick up 27 of these glass blocks for only $5....that was for all 27 of them! I didn't know what I was going to do with me, but now I do.
I have 2 more ready to grout this week and hope to post pics soon.

o

You do those so beautifully, CINDI: What talent.

o

These are absolutely gorgeous! The flower is perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here