Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
having a senior moment

Posted by mattie_2008 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 19:00

Hi guys, I recently bought a set of 3 nippers off E-Bay (if anyone's interested, scroll down 15 pictures under the heading "Mosaic tools", and that's them) and I can't for the life of me, figure out how to use them! Are they for glass or tile? How come I can't figure it out? Anybody out there that would care to show an old lady the way???
Thanks
Mattie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: having a senior moment

Here I was all set to be a know-it-all, and you didn't post a link!
Senior moment of my proportion! LOL!

o

Mattie!!! Pics!!!!

o

Girlie we are all more than willing to help ya but we have to know (and see as we're gettin in years to )what ya want us to help ya with>>>>>>I tell you the best info ever will probably come yur way but we have to see what your talkin about first.....pics please and we'll all do our best to help you girl....

o

Is this it?
If so-the first one is wheeled nippers, for glass or china to cut small pieces. On a piece of glass, place the wheels in the center of the line you wish to cut and squeeze.
The second tool is a tile cutter, it has a small wheel. use the wheel to score a line on a plate,tile or shard, then flip them over and line up the score line in the center and squeeze-poof, broken plate or tile.
The third are tile nippers, use them to nibble off pieces of shards, or to cuta shard into smaller pieces. Place the jaws at the EDGE of the shard, about 1/4 inch in and squeeze. This might help you some....
http://www.mosaicmercantile.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/scstore/tools_and_accessories.html?E+scstore

I hope I guesses right and am not making a big idiot of myself. If I am, well, it wont be the first time! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: tools

o

Thanks alot, those are them. I'm not used to using tools for any mosaics, I use a hammer for tile and a glass cutter for glass. I'll go into my shop this weekend and try again. Will they work on glass?
Thanks again
Mattie

o

Wheeled nippers work best on glass.

o

I think you will really like the tile cutter and nippers for your china. I actually cut a plate into strips with it and then use the nippers to cut the strips into tiles.
Here is tutorial on various ways to cut up a plate...everybody does it differently.
The wheeled nippers can help you shape glass with a lot of control and nip tiles as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plates tutorial

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here