Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grouting practice

Posted by katkerri (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 18:33

Mosaicing a small(8x8") step-shelf with thinset

this is the back- the scanner cant see the top on front in one shot.

shelf side: my grouting efforts are sloppy and the nippings arent going v well either.

front-top half of the little gems, etc. fell off as soon as i stood it upright on worktable.
then picked-and-sanded glumpy, messy grout.
getting some ge silicone11 glue for doors/windows asap.

bottom front: turning out to be an earring hanger,
shelf top mosaiced w/ clear half marbles and is becoming
a nifty reading glasses shelf.
inner edges of shelf legs mosaiced with clear half marbles.
ge glue would be better for the gems&half-marbs but i do like the way thinset looks with tiles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grouting practice

Ohhhhhhhh. That is going to be so great! I can hardly wait to see!

o

You may be having trouble, but it is gorgeous! I love the colors and all the media you are using!
Just take your time with the grouting.
I can feel very "under the gun" when I am grouting.
I have learned to make small batches and take my time, cleaning as I go. That seems to work for me.
I think your nipping is fine. This has a wonderful feel to it. Keep up the good work.

o

Looking good! It's all about learning as you go....

o

I admire your efforts, girlie. I might suggest you use the Type I Tile Adhesive. It's a ready mix in a little tub from Lowes, for inside projects such as this instead of thinset. It's a great adhesive - sticks immediately. I'm using OmniGrip - a ready mix for exterior from Home Depot right now, and it's great. You're right about the GE II w/hold those half marbles. Just be careful that you have plenty of ventilation when using it. I've heard some sad stories of people who've used it for years.

o

This is REALLY CUTE!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here