Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Front Fountain Beginnings

texaswild
14 years ago

This might be difficult to picture at this stage, but I've made a start on a fountain for my swing patio area. For those who can't quite understand this process, I hope this w/be sorta a tutorial. I've cut a half circle about 70" wide, and oh, probably about 34" deep at the outer middle point for the floor of the bowl that w/hold the water. Laid duct tape all around the outer edges, the cut into that edge up to the end of the duct tape (2")Then I turned those cut pieces upward to allow for stitches all around. Then I'm cutting pieces 16" tall to form around that edge to make the sides of the bowl. I'll fold/curve the top of of it outward about three/four inches to make a nice decorative smooth lip. I w/make three layers of this mesh for the bowl to ensure a good solid concrete bowl that w/hold water. This fountain was inspired by one I saw at a home/garden show in the spring, but I'm too stingy to pay $1000 for it, so w/make my own. It won't be as pretty as the inspiration fountain, but it'll please me juuuuuuuust fine.

Fountain WIP

Comments (120)

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

OH SO GLAD to hear all is well with you. Rainin here too!!! Darn near the whole danged month of July!! I'm gettin pretty tired of it. Hopefully August will be better for ALL!!!! I'm starting grouting on my Nature piece today and starting another for something to do while grout dires. Anxiously awaiting the rain to stop so I get my SLOW Fountian fix!!!!!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Slow you are my idol..

I've got a question. is the mesh you are getting easier to work with than hardware cloth// or is is about the same. i am having a tough time with the hardware cloth just making a stupid bowling ball stand. i can't even imagine what you are doing!!!

It's looking fantastic. Go away Texas rain and awful humidity. We want the Texarkana girls to work their magic.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MER: I've used hardware cloth, and it IS a little easier to cut, but not enough for me to use it exclusively. I used some of it on the grotto project. You have to be careful to line up the second layer so the holes don't match so that the crete w/hold. The Atlas garden gloves help a lot too. You can't use either of these wires effectively w/o gloves. Stay w/it, and show us some pics.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ready to mortar the top. Filled to 7" of water this morning. One teensy leak - has lost 1/4" since early morn. Tracy w/put the drain in tomorrow morn., and I'll drain and crete the corner where the leak is. I'm really encouraged that there's only one small leak. GEESH, this thing is big. Gonna need some tall plants/shrubs to disguise it's size a bit. Banana tree needs thinning, so there's one. Problem is - they'll have to be in large containers cuz of the huge tree roots - impossible to plant that area.
    Second phase

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh Slow!!! I just can't stand how awesome this is!! lol! I'm just gonna pack up all my stuff and ship it to you! I just am struggling with a silly throne...no fountain masterpc, and I just am not in the same gear as you! Humbled...but I'll plod along!!! Where's that Rocky Theme music mentioned a while ago....

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You l'il heifer! When that throne is finished, you're gonna stand back and admire it. No, wait - you'll sit in it and order Richard to get busier. You have to make a scepter on the order of the one Sam made, and a crown to wear. I can just see you in it now, waving the scepter, and Richard bowing. It's gonna be stupendous.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

WaaHoo! That's some Texas sized beautiful fountain you're building there, Slow. I had to check in here just to see your progress again. It's great! Are you still sure you're not mosaicing the WHOLE thing?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funny you should say that, DAISY: I applied one bag of mortar on it today, after adding a sheet in back to cover the rebar that was put in yesterday. I found a major flaw - HA - there are so danged many flaws, I think I've decided to mo the whole danged thing. Gotta order some spanish tiles, though. Decisions. I labored today over whether to add planters/shelves to the back of it, and finally decided not to. Tomorrow morning w/find me ordering some tiles that w/give it sorta a Spanish feel. Wish I knew what I was doing here. I DO have 1500 lbs. of rocks I bought last week to help w/landscaping afterwards. It's 95 degrees today, and I quit work about an hr. ago.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I hear ya Slow, I am worried about the height of the back part of my chair,(especially with that heavy glass ashtray) will need to figure out a reinforcment plan, but the parts I've wired and mortared yesterday are feeling pretty solid.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wasn't going to give an updated picture, but because I'm in contact w/a guy who has Mexican tiles, I took the two pictures just now to send him. You might want to use rebar. I use rebar to stabilize the large structures. I'm cleaning house today - Shea is coming Friday, so am in withdrawals.
    http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p29/Slomedown/My%20Queendom/

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Punched the wrong button. Here you go: BTW - notice Photobucket is acting weird - the pictures don't show up in front of the lind. Their changes are irritating me lately.
    Fountain update.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh Slow is lookin good!!! Very Majestic and Regal!! I think you may have to whip you up a THRONE chair to sit in by your fountain!!! LOL!!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I think you should just mosaic the back or street side, Then plants etc. Looking good. I really like it.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Your reinforcment looks good and sturdy! You're doing great Slow! This will be coveted by us all till we make our own!!!ha! The Haciendo wall fountain has always been on the back burner...well, a smaller version...that's why I love your fountain surround too!!! The fish you did are so wonderful!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got the first coat of mortar on the top part. Needs another coat, then hopefully on the third coat, I can smooth out some of the warts (exposed stitches!!!!!) NOTHING on this fountain is straight or uniform. Totally wacky, but .......what can I say except - it's handmade by an old lady who should know better than to try something this hard. BTW - the reason the Jeep is always out there is, I can't lift the 60-lb bags of mortar, so I keep them in the Jeep, and sorta tug and roll them into the wheelbarrow.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Must've done something wrong. Just go to the last post, and open the link. Sorry.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I was lucky enough to see this piece of art in person today and the pictures don't do it justice. It is huge and so original. Taller than I am that's for sure, but the basin is great amd the rest of it is to die for. Slow has done a wonderful job on this so far. She is a genius and brave to tackle such a large project. She is definitely the Queen of lath and crete!I wish all of you could see this thing of beauty.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

OMG!!! You have created a wonderous fountain...a real Slow Original!!! Way to go! And so cheap compared to buying a premade one! I don't even like premade stuff anymore...unless I wanna mosaic it!lol! Our stuff is WAY more original and unique! So what's next? Any mosaics on this? Did I hear terra cotta grout. N.I.C.E.!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

On the downhill stretch. I'm thinking I can get away w/o mosaicing it. Need to crete the back stand that w/cover the plumbing, if Tracy w/E.V.E.R. get it done, and need to put one more coat of Mapei mortar on the finials, attach and color. W/need to crete around the plumbing pvc, the drain and electrical outlet, so there's still lots of little things to do. Still need to tweak the color of the whole thing a bit, but am almost there. Yes, the top box tilts to the right, and the arc isn't perfect, but guess that's my signature. I might be able to add a bit of mortar to the flat part on top of the box under where the finial w/go to disguise the tilt a bit. If not, w/have to live w/it. I'm still consoling myself that it's handmade by an old lady who shouldn't have tried to make something so hard. **sigh**

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Photo bucket does not want to work...go to Slow's post on aug 5th wed, and you will see this!!! W.O.W.!!!! I'm speechless! Gorgeous! Way To Go!!!! This will be so awesome up and running! With candles and trickling water!!! WOW!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I know you are proud of yourself! That was a lot of staining but won't have to be mosaiced. I could not resist at lease putting mirror tiles in the niches and talavera and solid across the basin. If I know you something will probably happen on it. You will dream about it tonight. Bravo to you for sticking with this huge project and getting it finished so quickly. I think this one went quicker that the fountain wall didn't it?

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

WOW... I can't believe I'm about to say this... that doesn't need mosaiking. there I said it. that is such an inspiration - amazing! applauding you for such an undertaking Slow, sometime I wonder if there is anything you can't do! take a bow

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Slow, it's abosolutely Slownificient!!! You should be so so proud . You woulda paid several thousand $$ and more to get this work created and it wouldn't have been satifying like creating it yourself!!

there is a little mouse here a bit worried about the fountain in the front yard and safety for kids. Course I'm in Florida and we can't even have a diving board and any swimming pool has to be behind latched gates. If it was in your backyard I wouldn't think it would be a problem, and maybe i am really being ridicilous but you know how people are so sue happy these days. Just wondering it you have a way to close off the area I just wouldn't want you to get in trouble. Just tell me to shut up , hope you don't mind

You GO SLOW, I'm so jealous, can you hire yourself out to come to all of our houses...

• daisyme
    14 years ago

I just had to check in on this fountain before I left for most of the next two weeks. I LOVE the color! You have an amazing eye for design, girl....from concept to carrythough. I'll check back as I can next week as we run through. Lookin' great, Slow!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Well noe Slow, I had to pipe in with a little funny. Was looking at your latest update and you have done an awesome job. It's plain to see why so many of us covet your projects. Now this is what I got to thinking as I was looking over your update,,,,,,, What a wonderful little spa you have here,,,,, lol Dang this thing is so big, I thot, Slow can get her glass of wine, add a little music and relax in her spa after a long day of mosaicing. That's what I get for thinking huh?? lol

Kat

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Have I told y'all lately how you make me smile? FLAG and NT: I'm not tempted in the least to put any tess on this one. My goal was to have it plain, and I've achieved what I'd hoped (almost). The flaws make me unhappy, but I'm satisfied enough that I won't be trying to find a demolition crew to take it out. MER - thanks for your concern, but there are no children in my neighborhood. I live on a very quiet little circle in a neighborhood of elderly/retired people - never see children. Not worried, w/only seven inches of water. DAISEY - going again - do you ever stay at home??? KAT - that's what my DD says, but I seldom sit in the swing - only when I need a rest while gardening, and when she comes to town, we sit there briefly. I sit on my back patio at night in pjs w/that cocktail, listening to the little fountain and my country music. Thanks, ya'll. Oh, BTW - I credit NT's tip for success in smoothing on the last layer of crete. I used a paint brush to apply the slurry. Thanks for that one, NT. FLAG is coming tomorrow to help me w/landscaping ideas. I don't know where to start.

• chinatreasures
    14 years ago

Slow, that is absolutely stunning!!! You do have an amazing eye for style and design. I'll keep watching to see if you can outdo this one!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

SLOW: This is just too DAWG GONE AWEOSME!!!!!!!!!!! Love the color....JUST AWESOME!!! I sooo wish I could see it in person!!!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Slow, how many of your neighbors stop by to watch you do this masterpiece?
    It really amazes me and I think it's time to be offering workshops at your house, and maybe doing a joint one with Riana in PV!! You could get $$ for more huge projects!!

Did you get that tile from Mexico yet?? Can we see what it looks like?

You go gall, I really admire you. Whatcha up to next??

• bamasusanna
    14 years ago

Well, I'm SURE it's great, but the Photobucket site is down!!
    Can't wait to see it Slow!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well looky looky - one month to the day to finish this monstrosity. I'm sorta proud of it - warts, crooked, wonky and all. Tracy is to hook up the pump today and we'll give it a run. He still has to run the electric line out there, but things are set in order on that, so it'll be a simple matter. FLAG was a huge help in deciding where to put potted plants. Waiting on Juan to remove grass, place large rocks and pots and dig up a portion of the banana tree. Then to go buy Pampas grass. MER: My goal was not to tile, but while making it I thought I'd have to mosaic it to disguise all the warts, but I got the finish close enough to reach my goal. Neighbors don't watch, openly anyway, and I'm not interested in giving workshops. Thanks anyway. The photos are in the fourth row. I can't even take a straight picture - it really doesn't lean in back that bad. Oh, NT - to answer your question "Is there anything I can't do?" YES - make a project w/o some crookedness or off center element. I just can't do it, no matter how I try.
    Front Fountain Finished

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

That's a great picture and I like the rocks around it. Now it looks like a true mission fountain. I like the way you finished the back also. Bravo, you did it and a beautiful job you did.
    I hope the nest picture we see is with candles burning and water running.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!! Well Done!! Make yourself a big margarita and ENJOY!!!!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Oh Slow, what can I say... you out do yourself every time...it's really lovely!!!!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

oh no no... you can't have imperfections and crookedness as your signature style - CAUSE ITS MINE! it doesn't matter how hard I try, I am straight challenged.

and this fountain has wonderful character! you need to be VERY PROUD of this, its a beauty

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Yes girl you did good !!! I wish I had your spunk .I can do almost any thing just not shure I would want to try that one .You are so good!!!

• gibsona
    14 years ago

Oh Slow! You are my hero. Having grown up in San Antonio with all of the missions, this could so easily be one of the originals. Just beautiful. One thing I've learned is that we all see our warts so much more than anyone else does. Not drinking Margaritas quite yet today, but I raise my glass to you. Enjoy your weekend!
    Ann

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How humbling your comments are, and I bow in thanks. I'm off to a little street fair in the fair city of New Boston, home of FLAG, this morn., but w/take a picture of the plantings this evening. Juan, Ismael and I moved pots, plants and rocks last evening, and it looks beautiful in back. Not finished, but the decorating has begun. Many, many thanks, y'all. I enjoyed this one a lot.

• bamasusanna
    14 years ago

DAY-UM!!!!!
    Totally blown away by this Slow!!
    Triple holy dawg snot!!
    Gobsmacked!!

• kraftkrazy
    14 years ago

unfrickingbelievable!!!!!! i think of your place as the disneyland for wannabe mosaic artists. you have no idea how many times i have shown your pictures to friends or people that are looking to get inspired and want to learn to do mosaics or have something done. because of you i have 2 friends looking to mosaic their patios and steps and haunting tile shops and hardware stores for stuff to glue down...you do wonderful amazing work and so fast i cant keep up......again.. my hats off to you...all hail the queen

• rchovey
    14 years ago

I would love to visit your Queendom! As I have said so many times before, you have given me such inspiration! Gotta get busy... time is running out! So many projects, so little time.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Y'all beat all w/your generous comments - makes me bow my head in thanks. Wish y'all could all visit. Started the plantings. Hope to fill the whole bed space in front of the pots w/Hostas - put about five in the ground today. Stuck some ferns behind both sides of the middle fern pot, and a twig from FLAG's Red Dragon plant that I rooted. The two empty pots w/hold a piece of FLAG's Striped Grass and Black Elephant Ear. The earth is so root bound, I don't want to disturb the tree roots any more than necessary, thus the pot garden. The fountain looks more at home donchy'all think? Hopefully, the next picture w/be w/water - no sign of Tracy yet.
    Plantings begin

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW! It already looks like it's been there forever!!! It fits right in!!! I Feel like a SLUG now!!!! argggg!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gotta move those pots around - they are like soldiers in a row. Off on a junkin' trip to Gladewater today w/Becky, and tomorrow w/find me on my knees pulling weeds. They are about to take over the flowerbeds, so it'll take me about two weeks to get the gardens back in shape.

• klinger
    14 years ago

Slow, wow that sure turned out nice , it really looks wonderful and with the water it'll be a real attraction. What did you use for your stain? Did you bother sealing it?
    My gardens are all in ned of attentin too. I want to start saving some seeds and cleaning them up a bit,
    Cindy

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

So so beautiful SLOW!!! Love the landscping you and Flag did. What a gorgeous flountain. I bet the neighbors love it!!! They be taking walks just to come and sit by your fountain. You should be proud of a job well done girl!!!!

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

I have not checked thi thread on purpose for a while so I could be wow-ed, and daggone it I sure am!
    Slow this is exquisite! I am hyperventilating at how absolutely gorgeous it is. And its not even tiled! I just cant say enough about it. excellent excellent work.

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

To the QUEEN!! You are simply amazing. Take a bow and give yourself a double margarita , you deserve it.

It does look so old worldly!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Y'all blow me away w/your comments. KLINGER - I haven't sealed it yet, and don't know if I will. Riana said it wasn't necessary, and since I seldom seal anything I'll think on it. Tracy is due this morn to try the pump. Don't know when he'll put in the electric box. Juan w/help me re-arrange the pots a bit this afternoon. I'll be pulling weeds first thing this morn. CATH: I am really proud of this piece, and am sorta amazed that I pulled it off. Seldom see my neighbors - just the one behind the swing - others are probably looking out their windows, but haven't seen them. Yeah, WACKY - soooo glad I don't have to tile this one - that wasn't in the original plan. Thanks, MER - NOT A QUEEN, please - old worldly I accept. Many thanks, y'all.

• stjohnsgypsy
    14 years ago

I can't find the right words..........I am speechless........you are something!

Sponsored