Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksues_gw

What a day! (Newbie here)

ksues
12 years ago

Well, sorta newbie...I've been lurking for quite awhile, but finally decided to post. I have several projects planned and wanted to be able to share with you guys and get some input too! Soooo.....after wrangling with Photobucket this afternoon and figuring out all the technical gobbledegook, I'm ready to post!

Below is my first GOG...inspired by all of you wonderful folk! I call it "Fall Flowers". It is done on an 11x14 picture frame and I have it hanging in my living room window where it catches the morning sunlight. I wish I could take credit for the beautifully cut leaves, but alas, I can not! They are acrylic and came in the package with some glass globs I bought. So I guess I cheated a little bit. LOL

Comments (14)

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Welcome KSUES - so glad you've joined the wonderful world of mosaics and our playground. As for your leaves, I doubt any of us make all the tess we use in our mosaics. Take credit for putting together a beautiful work of art, and be very proud. It's GORGEOUS!!!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Welcome to this great group!! Your first one is very pretty.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

What a lovely piece. I'd love to have some of those leaves!
    Kathy

• ksues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your kind words! I had a lot of fun making it. DH gave me a lot of funny looks, but he learned a long time ago to leave me alone when I have my inspirations, LOL! Currently I am working on a totem-birdbath/feeder. The base and the feeder plate will both be mosaic out of pieces of the sunflower plates shown below, and the sunflower bowl will be the water catcher.

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

Welcome to the group! I think you did a wonderful job and looks like you have an interesting project coming up. Be sure to post pics!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Hi, and welcome.

The window looks great! The leaves are a great shortcut I wouldn't call it cheating at all.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Very Nice...I Love GOG! Those plates are super nice, Look forward to future pics!!!

• Marietjie
    12 years ago

Oooee! I love it - very striky & very neatly done. Congrats - good luck with your next project (pics, please)

• silvamae
    12 years ago

That is beautiful work - love the colors. Using those leaves is not cheating at all -- all's fair in mosaic world! Hardly any of us make the tees we use; it's how you combine it that makes it art! Post more pics...

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

the sunflower project sounds very interesting. Are those dishes very thick? I'm eager to see what you do, I've been a bit leery of thicker dishware, tho there are many beautiful patterns.
    Kathy

• ksues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy,

Yes, the pieces were of varying thickness, some as much at 1/2 inch! I loved the color of the plates so much, I wanted to give it a go! Here is the plate with the mosaic pieces glued on. I will try to grout it tonight.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Lookin' Good! Nice and close together...won't need much grout! What color grout are You gonna use?

• ksues
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Calamity,
    Right now I am going to use standard white. I thought about maybe a pastel yellow but decided on the white instead.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oooooooo how beautiful - WOW - close fitting. Very nice - you may be a newbie, but you're off to a great start.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax