Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcpommom

Table WIP.....just starting out

gcpommom
14 years ago

Well, I got the center piece of my DD's table done. It is still covered with dust, but you get the idea. It was hard to do on the wet saw, but I am happy with it.

Comments (15)

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Very nice!!! Is that red glass or stoneware? It's hard to tell, and WHAT KIND OF SAWDO YOU HAVE?
    I have a wet saw but can only cut a straight line. Would love to be able to cut curves...I can see another saw in my future. Can't wait to see your table done. It's going to be beautiful...Cathy

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Cathy. Thanks. It is red floor tile (from Pier One Imports, leftover from a new floor job there). I think it is ceramic, although it is an orange-y/terra cotta color on the bottom and turns the water almost brown. It has a slightly rough texture to it; I guess Pier One doesn't want people slipping and falling in their stores!

I have a wet saw....7 1/2" blade. You can make curved cuts with it...not very precise curved cuts, but close enough. It can be tricky, but it is doable. I smoothed the curves out with my grinder.

Judy

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Good grief, GC - that is about the most perfect job of cutting tile I've ever seen. I know what you mean about making soft curves w/a wet saw - I've done that, and if you use the blade juuuuuuust right, you can grind the edges too. This is gonna be reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallly fun to watch.

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Slow, it's not so perfect up close, but I like it!

Cathy: One thing about making curves with the wet saw is that you need to hang on tightly to the piece....the piece can get 'pulled' in by the blade and go shooting off, or it can pinch one of your fingers between the tile and the wet saw table (happened to me yesterday, lol)

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Good job! Perfect!!! Ohhhh, this is gonna be nice!!!!

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! I am excited to be working on this finally!
    I did the roman numerals and the circles that go around them. I haven't started gluing yet to the mesh--I need to start gluing now that I am done with the wet saw cuts....just me and a hammer for the rest of it (I think).

I will use chunky pieces for the rest of it, off white in the center, and black & red around the outer edge.

Judy

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Wow Judy, this is terrific. I like what you can do with the saw. This is going to be one gorgeous table.

Kat

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Good GRIEF! Looks pretty perfect to me. What a great look! Absolutely beautiful. YOU are a perfectionist.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

gcp, it's lookin beautiful!!! As soon as my back allows me I'll try cutting how you said...

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Hey need more pics!! How far along are U??? Just very curious and anxious to seee!! Please let us know how this is progressing!!!!!!!!!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! Talk about perfection!!! DD is gonna be spoiled!!!!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

That is looking great!!!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

This table is going to awesome. Is already.

Kat

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Judy, that is really gorgeous looking. Can't wait to see the progress. I just now read the off topic site and am so glad you are feeling well enough to mosaic. I think mosaic is the best therapy and course knowing their are lots of fine friends on the forum has got to help too.

Keep the faith and keep those band aids nearly. LOL. I have been on antiinflammatories for years and it is amazing how much blood can come out of one little glass cut. yikes.. the flood gates open.

Take care of yourself and have FUN

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks mermaid....I am having a wonderful time throwing myself into this project, and it is a great therapy for me, more than I ever imagined actually.

I have cut all my pieces that need to be cut, decided on the remaining layout for the table, and am ready to start gluing to mesh....but new problem:

My new drafting table (which my DH found at the curb) is awesome, however I have just discovered that it has a lump in the middle, which will interfere with gluing the large piece down flat. Soooo, I need to get a very large board or something for underneath this project, since it takes up the whole table.

I'll post pics when it is underway again.

Judy

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH