Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Another Rainy Day Experiment

texaswild
14 years ago

Have been twirling this around in my head for a long time. Not easy, but can be done. Needs a second layer of the shape shown by the paper pattern. Started w/six strips, then filled in w/the orange peel shape, and now needs the second layer on those. If the rain continues tomorrow, w/crete. Wish I'd made it larger now - this started as a scrap. The scrap I started w/was about two inches less than the width of the sheet of mesh - so about 26". I'll give y'all measurement tomorrow. This w/need lots of shaping w/crete to make it round.

Experimenting w/wire mesh

Comments (32)

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Show off! I guess now you don't want to find an exercise ball? Pretty neat really, can't wait to see it w/crete.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

You shoulda piped up when that guy who was at the Haciendo Mosaico was doing his ball!!! Yours makes so much sense, didn't he just keep cutting darts in his?ooops, I can't comment anymore, I gotta get back to my throne....heh heh!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

That will be neet!! I do sooooooooooooooo wish you would send that rain here to cent tex...

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Well I will await the outcome of the experminent to comment....but I will say looks Damn interesting to ME!!!!!! I look forward to seeing the outcome!!!!!! Later

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

Thast is so cool! You are such a smartie and I can't wait to see the finished piece of art.

Donna in Florida

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

aha, that sure solves the temp inflation issues with coating a real ball

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When I was checking the prices of the exercise balls on-line, I was horrified - nearly $50. Seems to me they're a lot of trouble to do, so thought this might not be as involved. Of course, this might end up in the trash can. CALAM - you're so funny. Do you remember who it was from that class that paid nearly $500 to ship their project home? Was it he?

• texasfern
    14 years ago

I should be so inspired when it rains. Course it hardly every rains here in SA.(it did yesterday, just a little)
    Can't wait to see this project finished.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I think his name was Jess? Anyhoo, this sure makes a lot of sense to me and I don't even sew!!!lol! But I did watch that creepy movie, where the guy was making a human suit..eeewww!!!(Silence of the Lambs?)

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I found some of the excercise balls and yoga balls for 14-15 dollars. I don't think we need the expensive ones. Hurry up and update us on this one so we can all see.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I finished the second layer, but that was after spreading 60 lbs of mortar in the basin. I'm hoping I can finish the basin tomorrow, and have enough to mortar the sphere. Looks pretty good. I'll wait w/a picture 'till it's creted. Doesn't look any different on camera than it did yesterday. The orange peels shape, IMO, is all that's necessary - not necessary to make the bands.

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Slow, it's great, i have so been wanting to try a huge exercise ball but thought the cost were astronomical too. i still don't see how you've done this but it looks good.

Calamity, tell us where you found them that cheap, PLEASE!!

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

I meant to say Flag, but can't figure out how to edit it.. She knows where the cheap balls are. rofl.. don't go there..

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Mer- I did a google search for exercise balls and yoga balls. Most of what I found ran in the neighborhood of $15 each. There were quite a few on ebay too. I will start on my WalMart beach ball and then work up to the exercise ball. I have figured a way to deflate it and get it out to use again and then cover the hole. It should be fun.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When this drys, I'll probably have to touch up underneath cuz I was too impatient to do half today, wait then do the other half. The sand I used was what I had left of builders' sand in a bucket in the garage, so it has lots of largish rocks. Used what I had left of rose powdered colorant. It's not perfect, but it's ok for my standards.
    Sphere concreted

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

It's lookin pretty dawg gone cool!!!!! We actauly had sunshine here today!!!!! First day in a month!!!! I hope this is a sign Aug. will be better than Jul. Summers just too damn short here for it to rain this long!!!! Hope you get a break soon too.....

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Its a great project. Hope to see more updated photos. Thanks.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

looks great to me! geez!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all, but it's a pretty sad-looking sphere. Hopefully, when it's covered in tess, it won't look so sad. It sits on a terra cotta pedestal I've had for several years. Might have to do something w/that pedestal just for this project. Originally bought the pedestal for inside the house, but space has been filled, so it'll have to stay outside. The sphere measures 49". BTW - excuse the trashy back yard - All my supplies are scattered about. Gotta clean that up soon.
    Sphere

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Looks pretty good orm this angle Slow!!!! It still rainin there?? We got a break yesterday (even saw the SUN!) and looks like it might be decent today!!! Hope it clears for ya soon!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

49" ??? Around? How big is it across? Diameter not circumferance. I can look at the surroundings in your garage and tell this baby is not 4' across. Show us the pedestal.

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Ladies! Go to walmart. exercise balls for under 20 bucks. I have a couple laying around I, ummm, intended to use for like you know exercise and stuff. bought them both there for like 17 dollars.

A woman on flickr did a huge one thats gorgoeus, she filled it with that expanding foam, peeled off the ball, then skim coated and mosaiced it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphere

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

You are right,she is a TX gal too. I will check WM today as I need to do a big one to go by my column. I am very anxious to do one. What dept at WM did you find them?

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Exercise balls @WalMart 65cm $6.00 not bad. I got one.Go see Slow.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Y'all missed the point of this project. It was to play w/the wire when it was pouring rain outside. When the time is right, I'll get an exercise ball and try to do a Little/Lewis ball w/the hole - maybe to go in the fountain landscaping.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Well, it looks like a pretty great sphere to me, Slow. It'll look wonderful mosaiced. What a great project for a rainy day. You're always experimenting and learning. You're quite the inspiration.

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

You still didn't tell us the diameter. I love it and you did a great job. Did you cut darts?

• addiesue
    14 years ago

This is pretty interesting....I've never seen this done before and can't wait to see the finished project. What is the orange peel stuff you were talking about? Is it something you buy specifically for this type of project? I don't know much about tessa but you've got my full attention...lol...I've got my bowl of popcorn, my husband on one side and my kid on the other, and we are all watching to see how this one unfolds...lol

Addiesue

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, Ms. FLAGTRUCK: Yes, I cut darts in the orange peel shape, the diameter is approx. 14", and it's temporarily on the pedestal cuz it was handy when I wanted to clean off my work table. The pedestal I'm thinking w/be better for it is four of the little bucket-shaped pieces, end-to-end as shown. I dumped left over grout and mortar, and finally filled one. Think I'll make three more, mortar them together, and make a pedestal for the sphere. Had I known what I w/use this for, I'd have left a hole for rebar. An idea for yet another pedestal in the making. I'm gonna clean up that junk pile soon. Worked in the yard a couple hrs. this morn, after cleaning up the basin. Waiting for Tracy to put in the drain so I can test it for holding water.
    sphere

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Way cool Slow!!! Can't wait to see it done....It must have quit raining.. Here too!!! Beautiful today...

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I love the idea for the post! Got some curves!!! This is a good experiment and will look good when done up like you are planning...where or where do you get all the energy!?!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CALAM: Like I have said many times, I never found a comfortable rocking chair. Have trouble sitting still - hate to waste time, and don't know how to turn off the creative juices. Yeah, CATH: Summer is back in East TX.

Sponsored