Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rounding a cut glass edge

Posted by onewomanarmy (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 16:39

This may not be the right place, and I may still find that this info has been covered already (my apologies if so!) but can someone tell me the best way to get a nice rounded edge on a piece of cut glass? I'm thinking along the lines of a torch - but not sure what to look for. I realize you can sand down the edges, but I've not been happy with the finished product by doing that.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rounding a cut glass edge

The only way to achieve that round edge that I know of is a "soft fire" in a kiln.

o

That's what I was afraid of. I don't have a kiln though so was hoping I could accomplish the same thing - or approximately so - with a torch.

So, it's either sanding/grinding and polishing or a kiln to get a nice rounded edge then? I have a flat lap that makes it easy to get a nice finish on a flat edge (like when cutting a bottle) but it still leaves a fairly sharp/uncomfortable edge between that flat surface and the sides of the bottle. I've found a I have a difficult time angling the glass to get a nice even rounded edge on the outside edge - and because of the curve, can't get into the inside edge to round it at all. So was really hoping a torch would be the answer.

Back to the drawing board I guess!

o

A glass worker's torch might be able to do that -- I don't know but it might be worth finding out.

o

I would think that a belt sander used for such a thing or a glass grinder with a beveling kit on it would do the job.

o

I'm not sure if you need to have a shiny/polished edge, or just a smooth one. If you don't need a polished edge, I would use a stained glass grinder. I have gotten many years of use out of my Inland "Wiz" series grinder.

o

I use my stained glass grinder to round the edges of glass, especially when I am doing mosaics. Grinding leaves a dulled glass appearance. Easy to fix... just apply a thin layer of clear fingernail polish to these dulled edges. The rounded edge becomes shiny, blending nicely with the flat surface of the glass piece.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here