Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

My Daughter's mosaic

nicethyme
12 years ago

my daughter (13) is headed for the national latin convention next week and has made sever things to enter in the graphic arts competition. this morning she finished her mosaic.

It was ambitious and she feared she wouldn't finish in time. She had designed a more complicated border and scaled back for labor saving. She drew this herself and did it all in Cinca unglazed porcelein

Comments (21)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I L.O.V.E. it!!! Good Job Girlie! Talent apples don't fall too far from this Family Tree!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!!! That child is soooooo talented. I've never seen a nicer border, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE her drawing and mosaicing. And just LOOK at that keystoning!!!!! Oh, this girl is headed for the big time. How long has she been mosaicing? NT - you must be so danged proud of her. That looks like the work of someone who has been mosaicing for YEARS!!!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow, that's so impressive at any age. Amazing talent, I can imagine how proud you must be of this and she figured out how to meet a deadline. That's a skill that will take her far in whatever she chooses to do in life.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yes to what every one said a great job !!!!!! Love it!!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

What an incredible mosaic picture. Is it Kraken fighting a whale? Awesome execution. I love the light blue grout too. Very daring and very effective.
    Kathy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ya know, she has actually been "mosaicing" almost as long as I have... always bugging me to let her make something - just last night she found a softball that she covered in tumbled pottery years ago! lol

When she went to State latin convention and wanted to do a mosaic, I handed her Sonja King's book and told her that learing to keystone would set her work apart - and she won 1st place with this one.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

She's a beautiful young lady, nicethyme. Her work is so good, what a great start she has.

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

Wow! This is fantastic! She's not only a beautiful young lady, but very talented as well! Love the design and her execution.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness - what a beauty she is, and her work is absolutely mind boggling. You've taught her well. She sounds like a really smart l'il cookie. Yes, keystoning is ever so important in those types of mosaicing. I'm always too lazy to do it.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree, keystoning is a massive pain for me, I've only bothered to do it on the fill on the Sidonea tree and yes it looked greatr but gee whiz it was aweful to do! lol

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My husband called from Kentucky last night, her octopuss WON 1St place at Nationals (her jewery also won 1st) as well several other projects placed in 3rd. I'm SOOOO proud of her

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

Congratulations to both of you! Well deserved! I bet she is so excited!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

Wow, that is some fantastic work by a real beauty. Congratulations!!! She has a lot of talent, that is for sure!!! Thanks for showing her work.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Congratulate her for Slow. I'm proud of her too - she couldn't help but be talented. Look who her mumsy is and how talented she is.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful and talented! (I think I hate her) LOL, just kidding. You've got much to be proud of. Those pieces are amazing!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Congratulations to her and to you! I'm not surprised because those are such wonderful pieces.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Congratulations! What an incredible and lovely young woman.
    Kathy

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WHOOHOO!!!!

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

Beautiful!!! Yur daughter and her work!!!

• october17
    12 years ago

She is adorable! And talented!