Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Fireplace WIP

Calamity_J
15 years ago

Here's my start of the fireplace, as I said to the contracter today, "I don't know what I'm doing but I never let that stop me!" lol!!!! I painted a leaf to see how it will look, and have cut the tile a tad too small, will have to add an inch border all the way around! Sheesh! And I HAD to make stems as I don't like the plain leaf...

My Pics

Â
Free Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Comments (24)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS - that's beautiful so far. I didn't realize you were going w/small tiles. I thought they'd be irregular. LOVE it so far.

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

Wow, totally love it. For someone who doesn't know what they are doing, you sure look like you do! The colors are great. I'm so jealous. Did you cast those leaves yourself?

It's great now and will so incredible when it's done. Please share WIP pictures as move through this project.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got all the 3 inch tile cut out, now have to decide on a color for the border, was thinking of the leaves being whatever color I do the border? Dunno yet...too pooped to ponder!!ha! Too tired to mix up the tiles so they are more random too...tomorrow...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Amazing work.......I did a fun fireplace several years ago. Husband hated it! The house sold...so in his face ...right??! he always said it would hurt the sale
    when it came time. Sold the house, and later got rid of him!LOL!!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow, Jane, that is WONDERFUL!! Can't wait to see how you finish!

• meadel
    15 years ago

It's beautiful Jane ! It will warm the body and soul during the chill of winter!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Oh, that looks fantastic. Even DH is going to like it!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, how beautiful! Girl, you are a dynamo. Those tiles are so beautiful, and I LOVE the way you'll add the 3-D ones. What does DH think of it so far? LOVES - do you have a picture of the fireplace you mosaiced? I should tackle mine, but the years keep passing and I keep ignoring it's ugliness. Can't seem to come up w/any designs or inspiration for a fireplace.

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Oh Janie Bo...........I love your tiles........earthy! Great job!!!

Lovemosaics..funny story!!!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

WOW! I love it, wish I was there to help you put it all in place...You could grout :) . I like the leaves, did you make them? You got a good eye girl, it is put together just right.
    Slow - Let's do yours, I'll come help. Yours would look good many colors. Between the two of us we should have the stuff to do it. Wouldn't that brighten up your den?
    Keep us posted Jane on the progress.
    I am late getting out this morning, gotta go grout.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Beautiful colors! What a project to take on!
    Can't wait to see it progress.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I love this tile, and your ideas for making it special! Wow!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Jane!! that is beyond FAB!!! I love it. Can you come and do mine?? Actually we don't have a fireplace but will have to get one now. LOL.

I just love the color placement and those leaves really add to the overall effect!! Is your dream contractor taking notes.?? I still think you two should go into business together!! You would be RICH!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Everyone!! The leaf tiles were cast in a special hydrocement by Marty the fireplace guy, nice eh? I plan to cut the tiles behind the black squares and leaves to embed them into the whole thing, AND I'm already to start another project!!! The foyer REALLY needs a new floor, especially since TODAY is the day DH is going to FINALLY put in the JANE Door!!! YEEHAW!!!I know this is only tiling and not actually mosaicing..(transferable skills,lol) so thanks for giving me support anyways!!!
    I have been scrounging/hourding tiles for future projects and so I am hoping I can make a "quilt" of them for the foyer floor, while hubby was away in Africa, I was doing a spring clean of the whole house and sheds, and was thinking that my scrounging was getting out of hand! Just what/when was I EVER gonna use all this tile?! And now I have this plan for the foyer and it will use up a nice chunk of it all!!! PLUS it will leave room to start more scrounging!!!hahahaha!
    I mosaiced my bathrm in a trailer I owned before moving here(back with hubby) and it sold for 5 grand over my asking price!! Go figure!ha! Ya, if I had my way I sure woulda had a blingy fireplace, but ol' ball & chain, says keep it plain....Jane.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

You are doing great on the fireplace and I am sure the foyer floor will be beautiful. I know about the scrounging stuff, but if he gets on you too bad, let me know and I will send you shipping labels and you can send it to me. Better yet, just pack him back off to Africa and you bring your stuff and come to Texas...you can have plenty of places to use all that stuff between Slow's and my house.
    We have a big stast ourselves! :)
    Keep on keepin' on, you are doing great.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Jane - wow o wowo!!!! I love this, very beautiful and CLASSY!!!!!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

How lovely! has a formal-welcoming feel to it with your great color selection...thos leaves are such a marvelous touch!

Pat

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

JanieBo, this is beaufitul!!! I mean beautiful! A question sprang to mind when you said you had to do a one inch border...Could you just widen your grout lines a tad and take up that space? Just a thought.

Check your email. I happened on this thread looking for your name so I could email you :)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

It's an absolutly beautiful design and colors and everything. Looking forward to seeing it all done!

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

I know this is over a year old, but I am reading every single posting going back until there are no more. Jane, do you still have the pictures? I know you have more to do than hunt them up, but maybe you moved your photos to another place? If not, don't worry, I know it was beautiful. :)

• solstice98
    14 years ago

We've talked about redoing the tile around our fireplace with a mosaic and I would love to see the photos too! Please re-post!

Kate

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here ya go!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Thank you calamity! It is beautiful, so glad I had a chance to see it. I assume that the leaves are the hydrocement that you talked about in the post. They are such a great addition. Have you made more for yourself in this medium? Wondered how it worked for you. Sounds interesting. :)

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Wow! Such a warm place to be.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!