Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Homemade Gold tiles

texaswild
16 years ago

I'm so happy w/this experiment, I bought six or eight textured clear sheets at HobLob just now to adhere the gold leaf or silver foil to the backs. Pictured below were 6"X6" clear, textured glass that was in a gift pack from my DD. Couldn't figure out how I'd EVER use them. Had been planning to experiment w/the gold leaf but never found the time until CALAM mentioned the article in her borrowed book. Thanks for the push, CALAM. I'll be using this technique w/all kinds of colored foil or glitter paint in the future. Tip - It's easier to lay the glass onto the leaf instead of trying to lay the leaf onto the glass. Just lay the sheet of leaf down, line up your glass and drop it onto the sheet. After I got it covered, I painted it w/the red base coat that comes w/the gold leaf. When that was dry I painted it black. Although the picture doesn't do them justice, they REALLY look like gold tiles, and the textured glass really adds to the effect.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (28)

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Those look fantastic...stupid question did you glue down first before the paint?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep - put on the leaf adhesive, and as soon as it was clear, I put the leaf on the first piece, having a LOT of pieces, of course, cuz as soon as you touch it, it's there to STAY. Got smart on the second piece, and dropped the glass onto the leaf. W/my brush, I filled in the holes, then painted the red, then the black. Where there are holes, the red gives it a nice reddish glow, then the black fills in where there might be a teensy gap. However, there weren't cuz I made sure all the holes were filled. They cut beautifully - didn't peel any of the stuff on back off. My HM was here at the time, and I showed him and compared them to the regular mirror tiles, and he said he liked the softness of the homemade ones better - not so garish. It's sooooo easy, too.

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

i used the liquid leaf on a few peices on my watering can

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, rats - I didn't even know there WAS a liquid leaf. What brand- where'd you get it? I have some Krylon oil-based metallic leafing paint - is that it, or is there a real leaf liquid? I don't shop for anything but glass/dishes much anymore so probably missed this one.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Cool! I'm gonna have to get some clear gluechip glass now!
    Those came out beautifully, thanks for the tutorial!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

So the textured side of the glass gets the foil? OH MAN I"M GETTIN SOME OF THIS!!!! I was just saying to Klinger that I wonder if the foil you get in a florist shop would work? This just opens up a WHOLE new world of possibilities! And think! Glass nuggets too!!! Heck, I know it's been thought of before and posted before but for some reason it's just sinking in right now!!! Oh man, now I'm gonna go straight to my art room and grab some textured glass! I bet there is copper leaf too!!!! How could we do our own van gogh glass??? Metalic paint and metalic leaf??

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

CALAM: You're right - HobLob had copper leaf and silver leaf, and ANY shiny w/work - just gotta have the tough adhesive. I bought VERY textured clear sheets of glass, and what I'm thinking is: how about drybrushing on some black paint to hit the low spots, you know, the valleys - VEEEEEEERY lightly, then wipe it off so there's just a touch of black, then put on the foil, and sorta krinkle it. I figure for the foil it's gotta be a tougher glue than the regular leaf adhesive - probably ModgePodge or GEII. I LOVE experimenting. These I made today REALLY look nice in person.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH Pretty Slow. will there be a problem with the gold leaf coming off when you glue them down? Great idea and I also love the softer gold look.

Chris

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy Dawg Snot! I can't wait to try this technique!!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing all of your tips.

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

the liquid leaf is made by the same co. as the other I found it at walmart in a clearance section a while back for $2 and figured what the hey ill try it i have some of the same metallic paint but i dont think i would stick very well thats why i tried the liquid leaf and it seemed to work pretty well i did notice that if the glass moved that thegold stayed on the glue though but now that its dry and grouted it seems fine

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Why couldn't you sponge on some metalic colors..I know the gold leaf couldn't be replicated this way..but I'm thinking a copper, cobalt blue combination. Maybe seal it with a poly spray? I bought some mosaic tiles that were on clearance from HobLob and I believe they were done like this. I think you'd just have to be careful not to scratch the paint off?

• wackyweeder
    16 years ago

I use liquid leaf for all sorts f things, it looks good and is durable. It seems to be oil based and pretty permananet, a little goes a looooong way. If it looked as good as the leafing foil my preference would be the liquid leaf as its very durable, it wouldnt come off with your glue. it also comes in silver and copper. about 5 bucks for a small container regular price, but Ive had mine for like 3 years and have barely touched the amount in the jar.

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

Girls I just waned to let you know there no end to what you can do with clear glass.I have used Sloes idea, metalic pants ,finger nail pol.spray pant of all kind mixed dif. pants .I'v use glitter ,gli glue gil pants ,I will try any thing .I pratice a lot on plain glass .It is so fun to see the dif looks .I don't know how many know this but I use the foil tape you get at the hardwear store.I put it on what ever service I am working on .I make a lot of crosses I sale . The foil make it pop You can see some of it under your glass. You can play with all kinds of thing .There is no end .I just love mosaics .

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Slow, thank you so much for sharing your experiment. This is wonderful!

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

well after we redo the bathroom i will have an abundance of baby blue tile so im deffinatly going to experiment with some diff paint techniques and see what works and will hold up since its free i may as well take advantage and use it right but at the rate we are going it may be 6 mos or better before that happens.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

HEY!! I just looked at my glass stash and I have irridecent clear glass!!! whoo Hoo!!! So I have gold paint that is made by sheffield, for frames and such, do you think that would work??? Bama, thanks for the idea!!! Soooo textured side painted/etc and smooth side out?>>>>>

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

i would try it on like one piece and test it but i did mine textured side down and it looked pretty good

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Good tips also, Nanatricia!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SHADES - I can't see how the leaf w/come off when you glue the tile down - most of the time I use mortar, and it's VERY tough adhesive. SHELLY - you didn't mention the brand of liquid leaf you used????? BAMA - As NANA tells us - I suppose anything is possible w/this clear glass. Thanks, NANA, for giving us more ideas. I'm not familiar w/the foil tape, NANA. In what section of the hardware store is this found, and what's it's purpose? WACKY - what brand of liquid leaf do you use? I just hate oil-based paints, but at yours and SHELLY's suggestion I'm gonna give it a try. CALAM - I put the leaf on the textured side, cuz the flat side is easier to score. BTW - forgot to tell y'all the rigid piece was iridized, and I bought iridized at HobLob yesterday. I'm going to cut a sheet into four pieces so it'll be easier to work with on the next try. In searching for some gift wrap, I found some brilliant red foil w/silver on the opposite side. Why do these ideas always come when I'm preparing AGAIN for weekend company. Gotta clean house today!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

This is a great thread. Thanks slow, for sharing your experiment. Looks like the possibilites are endless..

Kinda have to chuckle at some of the little comments from your HM, I take it he doesn't have the same decorating style as you Slow LOL

Maria

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

OH MAN

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Hey!! I just had an idea. Why not do a handmade mosaic tile swap?
    (I'm into the swap thing now)

• wackyweeder
    16 years ago

The liquid leaf I use is called Liquid Leaf and its made by Plaid.
    OMG! I was looking for a pic to show you and saw this.....
    http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/7968/Mona-Lisa-
    variegated leaf

Varigated leaf! woot Houston Art seems to be the manufacterer of that.
    and here is the liquid leaf. I dont know the dealer I was just looking for pics.....
    http://www.misterart.com/g200/Plaid-Liquid-Leaf.htm

• wackyweeder
    16 years ago

The liquid leaf I use is called Liquid Leaf and its made by Plaid.
    OMG! I was looking for a pic to show you and saw this.....
    http://www.misterart.com/store/view/003/group_id/7968/Mona-Lisa-
    variegated leaf

Varigated leaf! woot Houston Art seems to be the manufacterer of that.
    and here is the liquid leaf. I dont know the dealer I was just looking for pics.....

Here is a link that might be useful: liquid leaf

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

The silver tape is in the dep.with duck tape.It is used for duck work .It is metal like .I have seen it at walmart with tapes .I like the silver on both sides .I use it a lot on my cross it makes the glass look like a reflection .I like to renkil (SP) it up like I say there is so many ways of doing thing .I did a cross and I use tisue papper on the cross then I used dif. metalickin spots It turned out so pretty I will try to get a pic.of it.

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

nanatricia i had never even thought of using that tape i wonder if i still have that roll hmmm i wonder if you used that if you could use it on the front and use those things for papre crafting i think its called a stylus i have one just dont know what its called other than a thingy LOL anyways my ADD is kicking in again use it to do a design kinda like the Tin ceiling tiles I think I may do a test peice on a scrap of wood and see what happens but i will have to wait DD bday party is tommarrow and i still have hours of cleaning and baking and decorating ahead of me tonight and in the morning dang im tired just thinking about it
    SLOW~ mine is the plaid brand as well i just painted my towel holder in the kitchen with it and it looks so good

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well guess who's going back to HobLob for some liquid leaf. The varigated looks interesting too. Oh, the possibilities, but I'm quite happy w/the results of my faux Van Gogh. Looks like the real thing. W/post pics Sunday afternoon.

Sponsored