Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bnaegele

Need idea for hanging newest project

I've been enjoying looking at everybody's wonderful work. Such talent all in one place!!

I am taking another class with glass on glass mosaics. My "palette" is an old double hung window that is divided into 3 panels. Last Saturday I cut and placed my glass and glued the glass down. This coming Saturday I will be grouting it. I haven't decided what color grout to use yet. Each panel has a flower in it. The outer two have blues for background, the middle has pink.

Any suggestions for grout color?

Also I want to come up with something freestanding to hold the window. Any ideas how do accomplish that?

I will post a picture next week after it is completed. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Comments (10)

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I haven't done gog, but I think I prefer ones that the grout resembles leading. So I say grey or dark charcoal!
    Every piece is different tho, so it would be nice if you posted a pic.
    Kathy

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I built a trellis for one of my pcs that is for outside...I also added a BIG solar spotlight behind it to light it up at night...WOW!;-)

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Concretenprimroses, I am taking a class, so unfortunately I won't have access to the piece again until Saturday when I finish it up. But thanks for your thoughts for the grouting. I have seen one done with it that way and am leaning in that direction.

Calamity, wow!! I am blown away by both your beautiful work and the environment you gave it!!! Clearly you have much more talent and skill than I do. LOL But I'm seeing some ideas I may be able to use.

I think my little project will have to stay indoors. I don't want to put holes in the ceiling or walls, so I was trying to come up with some sort of standing frame to hold it. I'll definitely post a picture after Saturday.

Thanks for your help.

• klinger
    12 years ago

You could put hooks in the top and hang it in one of your windows, It will look beautiful with the sun shining in. Or perhaps make something like an artists easel to prop it on. Here's a pic of one of the windows I've got hanging in a window.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, here it is. I'm pretty happy with it. The glue between the glass still needs to dry and go clear.

So does anyone have any thoughts on some way to display the window without it actually touching the windows?

Thanks for any ideas you might share.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

How about some eye hooks in the top w/small decorative chains? That is a beautiful beautiful beautiful mosaic. Really a lovely piece.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

If you want to keep it away from the window, you could try a set of "L" brackets that stick out above the window and then secure it. It looks heavy enough that you need two brackets. You could use eye hooks and chain with one bracket if it would hold or run the chain around two brackets.

You could also attach the chains to ceiling hooks and it would hang straight down in front of the window. If you don't want it to bump against the window at all, use small brackets on the frame to hold it out away from the window. The second set of brackets would add support to the piece.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That looks great, I love it in that old window.

Sorry, got so caught up in details I almost forgot that part.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

I was thinking more along the lines of a free standing frame or easel type thing so I could move it to different windows if I want to.

I just got new windows in February and they are the kind that tilt in for cleaning - not that I ever clean all that much, but......... :)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

In that case, you would need to build a frame similar to the window frame based on the size and height of the windows. If you don't attach the frame to the wall or window, it would need braced legs to counterbalance the weight of the glass. That could get quite bulky because the taller it is, the bigger the legs and braces would have to be. Then you would use the eye screws and chain to hang it from the frame.

There are metal easels that will hold the weight, but then you would see the easel frame through the glass.

If there is room inside the window frame, the ceiling hooks and eye screws would be a good option. When you want to clean the window, just unhook and set aside. If you move it, you can always fill the holes.