Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyscache

Birdbath

cathyscache
14 years ago

I haven't posted anything for awhile. Blew a disc in my neck, and have had company. But the neck is getting better so I started a birdbath. I can only work on it about 30 mins @ a time because of my neck, but I am making some progress. Very slow but I'll get there. I am determined this is not going to keep me from doing what I love.

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdbath WIP

Comments (36)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh, my. Bless your heart re your neck. Are you under a dr's care, in a brace??? Having had a broken neck when I was a teen, I know how serious your problem is. Be careful. That's a great start on your BB - perfect slicing of that plate.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks and yeah Slow seeing DR's. Luckily my MD believes in Chiropractic care so I'm seeing both. Hoepfully between the 2 we can fix this without surgery. Yeah I've got a brace on and am goofy most of the time (meds) but it sure beats being in pain. I have had problems with my neck since I was a freshman in High School and had a diving accident. The worst part is not being able to mosaic!!!! I can only do a little at a time. Yeah before this happened I was sure having fun with that saw!!! Still have plates to cut and a friend brought me a large box of dishes yesterday!!! But now I'm wanting a saw that I can cut curves with!!! Never satisfied are we!!!!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey all, Things are coming along....way too slow for me but coming along none the less. Still can only work 1/2 to 45 mins at a time..Have to take lots of breaks..So again another lesson in patients, (which I really have little of) I'm getting very frustrated...Not healing fast enough...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pansie Birdbath

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Boy, You are really givin' er!!! Persevere!!! I too am gimped up and still doing what I can(sprained ankle..getting better but can't be the usual billygoatgruff in the yard!lol) Lovely theme for the bird bath! Make sure you bring it in in the winter as you don't want it to heave and crack!!! I learned being lazy is not fun the hard way....with a chipped ugly birdbath!!!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear your gimped calam!!! Real pain in the
    b-hind not being able to do what U want!!!! LOL!!! Yeah my garden needs TLC too...I make an awful patient my husband says!!!! But I just hate wasting beautiful summer days. Summers are way too short here and winters way too long!!! I usually stay very busy in the summer and this is sure cramping my style!!!!!!!!!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

You are doing a beautiful job on the bb and I think your short spurts are doing good. Sorry about the pain. I know that feeling well as I have been fighting a bad knee for about 2 yrs or more. Tired of not being able to do everything I want to do. I will have it replaced soon and hopefully be much better. Keep up the good work.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh, I love your design. This w/be soooooo pretty. Bless your heart - I feel your pain. Take care of yourself.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's what I got done today. Added gold fill. Hopefully I'll finsih the rest tomorrow and then can start on the base.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pansie birdbath

• texasfern
    14 years ago

It is wonderful!
    Working thru the pain looks pretty good!
    Bless you.

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Cathy, this looks wonderful, i sure know pain and it really gets in your way, hate that neck pain, wrecks havoc on mosaic ing.. But you are doing great.
    dont push yourself, do short spurts and you'll get there.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Gorgeous colors!!! Love it!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Looking great, girlie.

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey thanks all!!! I made pretty good progress the last couple of days. The top is finally finished and I've started on the base. Only 11 days to this point Slowly but surely I'm getting there

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdbath top

• chinatreasures
    14 years ago

WOW Cathy - that's great progess especially considering the pain you must be in! I have a question for you ~ in the previous pics, the bowl of the birdbath is white ~ is that paint or some other prep you did before laying the tile?

Can't wait to see it grouted!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks China..The white is thinset. The bowl was slightly uneven so I leveled it out

• chinatreasures
    14 years ago

Are you also using thinset to glue your tiles on?

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

China, yes and I will probably grout w/thinset as well

• klinger
    14 years ago

Boy that's a beauty, I had to stop and really study it. I know you've struggled to get through it and it looks awesome,
    Cindy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All, I have been up since 2:00am, woke up and could not go back to sleep-----so I worked on my birdbath.....and the base is almost done!!!! And for the 1st time in weeks my neck pain is minimal!!! I am so thrilled!!!! I hope this means I'm really on the mend...but am still being very cautious....anyway here it is......I hope to be finished with the tiling by tomorrow and grout on Fri. HOPE being the key word....later all

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdbath base

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Girl: You and I have the same problem - can't sleep. We should get paid for all the overtime we put in - working through the night. Lots of my working is mentally trying to figure out how to, but you are actually up and working. Your BB is looking sooooo beautiful. Makes me want to mo a concrete one I have had for six yrs. It still stands unclothed. Anxious to see this in it's home in your garden.

• chinatreasures
    14 years ago

Slow and cathy - you two are amazing! I also am most creative and motivated after midnight but, unfortunately, I have an 8-5 job and have to force myself to get to bed.

I have a terra cotta birdbath (the kind made from two pots and a saucer) that I have been wanting to mosaic but I can't get the design right in my head. I know how I want to do the tray, but I also want to mosaic around the base and that's where I'm stuck. Maybe I should just forge ahead and do the tray and the base will come to me.

Y'all keep up the great work - just seeing what everyone is doing here is a great motivator for me!!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Slow this not sleeping gets old. I had company last night for dinner and sure was glad when they left cause my butt was a draggin!!!!! I slept pretty good last night. But up again @ 6:00am --beats 2:00a. Hoping to finish this beast today and grout tomorrow. It will go on my deck as haven't got landscaping done yet..Afraid hubby might run it over with equipment!!! China just go for it. I usually don't have my plans on paper just in my head and they just seem to take shape as I go. Actually put plans on paper once and the end product looked nothing like the plans so never did it again.

• klinger
    14 years ago

This is looking great, glad your neck is finally feeling better. For sure put it on the deck, my mosaic birdbath got ran over on the lawn, still useable but had some damage. I too am up more in the middle of the night than I'd like, oh well, gives me time to think of what I'm doing when I do get out of bed.
    Cindy

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Klinger, So Slow and I aren't the only night owls in this group!! Sorry yours BB got damaged. My hubby runs equipment (Crane/Backhoe) for a living so when he gets it on our property he's a maniac, anything in his way ends up smooshed...Definetly the deck....Later

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

YAHOO!!! It's 10:50am our time and the tiling on the base of my Birdbath is done!!!!....Grout tomorrow!!!! Never had a project take soooo long!!! But sure glad it's finished

Here is a link that might be useful: Base done ready to grout

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

So far this is looking wonderful. I love the colors and you should be proud. I can't wait to see it finished.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh how beautiful, CATH. I like how you carried the same design of the bowl down in the pedestal. It's WONDERFUL - the whole thing. Oooooooooooo - gonna check in often today to see it grouted.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

What color grout are you going to do? This is just lovely and the colors are Perfect!!!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am FINALLY done w/my birdbath!!!!!!! YEEEEHAWWWWW!!!!! YAHOOO!!!! YAHOO!!! OH THIS ONE SEEMS LIKE IT HAS TAKEN SOOO LOOONG!!! BUT it's done and I am very pleased with it's outcome!!!! It will sit on my deck and hopefully we will have birds come to bathe in it.Calam:..I went w/blk grout and soooo glad I did , I almost w/grey but again at the last minute went blk . It seems I am never disappointed w/blk....it always is better than I think it will be. (Reminder to self need more blk colorant!!!!!) Later , Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridbath Finished

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Absolutely PERFECT - the black really brings out your design. What a lovely sight on your deck. You did a fabulous job on that one, CATH. I know you're proud of it.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

ZOWIE!!!! Looks perfect with the purple petunias next to it!!! On that LOVELY deck!!! Good Job!!!!

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all!! I am very pleased with the way it has turned out!!!! Adds some nice bling to the deck!!!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Cathy, your birdbath is scrumptious!!!! I love it!!!

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Oh I must say that your birdbath design is exceptional. I really like it...... Thanks for sharing.

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Oh Cathy, that is one BEAUTIFUL BB!! It turned out so wonderful, especially figuring in your neck pain. hmm. that's a doctoral thesis for someone.. does pain make creativity stronger?? Or could it be the meds for the pain.. LOL

it's just lovely, i know you will enjoy it for years..Give yourself a pat on the back

• cathyscache
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thnaks all!! The birds are sure enjoying it and we are enjoying watching them!!!!