Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shoe question

Posted by louisiana_greetings (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 14:41

when you mosaic shoes, do you prep the shoe with something or just start with glue or thin set or what? these shoes are not leather, they are like a velour or something.
bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: shoe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shoe question

I am doing one for an exchange on the Yahoo forum and those guys and I wrapped the shoe with rigid wrap, which is plaster impregnated cheesecloth available at Hobby Lobby I did two layers on mine prior to mosaicing. I will look for the link with instructions and post it.
Carol

o

My last one - after the two layers of rigid wrap, I gave it a coat of plaster and then a coat of gesso. IF I ever do another one, I'll apply the rigid wrap and then a coat of thinset.

o

Bonnie- Check your email...this forum would not let me post a link from the other forum here.

o

Hi There,

I am involved in the swap on the yahoo group too. I found plaster impregnated bandages on Dick Blick for about 1/3 the price of the Rigid Wrap that they also had.

The shoe is very hard now, and I plan to just mosaic onto it as is. A thin coat of thinset would probably be a good idea, but I probably won't do it. No one in the group seemed to think it was super important, but they did think it would add durability.

Lynne

o

Lynne, I am doing mine right on the rigid wrap, no problem. it just takes a long time because you do a little and have to let it dry then do some more. Hard to handle..lol

o

I have filled my shoes with plaster to make them rigid.
Worked great for me.......but not for outside. My friend told me the one I made for her garden, is falling apart.
Otherwise...plaster seems to work fine for inside stuff!
Just fill the inside....and there is no outside smoothing,
just make it rigid!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here