Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamasusanna

Making glass tiles

bamasusanna
16 years ago

I couldn't stand it. I had to try this today. Slow inspired me to try this!

I used clear glue chip glass (frost texture). I cleaned it really well and painted the texture side with metalic paints. After that dried, I painted again with a silver spray paint (it was all I had. I would've preferred black)I figured it would cover any areas I had missed and perhaps make the other colors deeper.

When that dried, I decided to cut it into smaller tiles.

When I cut from the front..smooth side, the paint kinda "tore" when I snapped it. So I turned it over and scored from the painted side. That worked great.

{{!gwi}}

Here is another piece of painted glass. I haven't cut it into smaller tiles yet.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (32)

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

OH MY!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

This new idea is really fabulous. I've always admired Hazie's purple glass but it is SO difficult to find but now I can paint my own. I LOVE the possibilities of this technique. I wonder if really wonderful wrapping paper would work also?

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Bama, this is GREAT! Now I can't wait til you glue it to something and see how it does. I love this! Specifically, what kind of metalic paints did you use?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!!! Fabulous. What are you doing outta bed?! I am waiting for some to dry but got one dry enough to turn over for a photo - getting ready to download it and post it on this thread. Hope you don't mind - same subject. Isn't this fabulous?!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I just LOVE your colors. How creative to do the abstract stripes. WONDERFUL. Hope you don't mind my using this thread to show you my faux Van Gogh. I brushed on black on the texture, wiped it off to leave just enough on the texture, then two coats of magenta and another coat of black. I have iridescent purple going, metalic green and purple glitter, which takes forever to dry. This is so much fun I can't stand it. Oh, just THINK of the possibilities. How about ribbons of metallic papers, or pretty tissue paper or the foils. Pinks and purples and greens are what I'm gonna make for now - those colors that don't exist on the market. Oooooooo - I LOVE this.
    Magenta Faux Van Gogh

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Go for it SLOW! I couldn't stand it anymore. I HAD to get up and play. I promise I'll take it easy tonight.
    I went ahead and glued some tiles onto a pot to get an idea how these would look. I'll grout when it's dry.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a pic of the paints I used..cheap stuff.
    {{!gwi}}

• diamondjennie
    16 years ago

So, if you don't mind questions, do you use the painted side of the glass out or use it on the inside? I would think that grouting would scratch it if it were out! They are really beautiful, and what a great way to get "stained" glass when it isn't available! Jennie

• texaswild
    16 years ago

BAMA - I can't believe you! Boyohboy - can't keep a mosaicist down, huh? That's gonna be spectacular. Doncha just LOVE creating something unique? I betcha we'll see that pot grouted tomorrow. Anxious to see it. What size tiles did you cut? I cut mine 3/4". Gonna let mine dry overnight. I wonder if a slow warm bake in the oven wouldn't help these painted tiles???

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tiles are 1/2". Its a small pot. I wanted something I could finish quickly. You betcha I'm hoping to get this grouted tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out what color grout.
    These are the first tiles I've cut with my Morton! I think I'm gonna like it.
    On using fabrics, or wrapping paper.. I think you'd have to score it with a exacto knife, then score with the glass cutter to keep from pulling it off. Whatcha think?
    Yes, I'm having a BLAST!

Jennie..the painted part is glued inside. Yes, the grout would scratch it off otherwise.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I didn't mean fabric - meant ribbons of foil or shiny, colorful tissue paper. When I break a strip of tiles - I break them by hand and break them away from me and it didn't peel. When time permits, I'll be looking for interesting papers as backing. Only thing I can think of now is foils, but the paints seem to work fine. Got weekend company so can't do a thing until Sunday afternoon.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

wow, you made your own van gogh! that's so cool.. the pot looks awesome.

how's your tootsie doing?

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My hubby came home, saw the pot and somehow knew I hadn't been a "good girl" today!
    Tootsie is swollen a little..maybe I shouldn't have done so much today...Oh well, It was fun!!!!!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

very awesome...I am watching to see how this all works out...for both of you (bama and slow) I can't wait...I don't know if I'm gonna make me any tiles but knowing me I will probably break down and do it if yours holds up....fab idea girls!!!!

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

Girls you will love mking your on tile .I have not done the tisuep on the tile but have used it under tile I guess it depends on what you nare doing.There is a glass pant called enamiel pant that you pant on glass and bake in the oven it is kinda of see trough .

• texaswild
    16 years ago

NANA: I used that paint of which you speak yesterday. It's iridescent and very transparent at first, but then I gave it another coat, than a coat of black and it turned out wonderfully. I REALLY like the dry brushing/wiping of the black first. It looks like real Van Gogh.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, this is great. I know what I'm doing today ( soon as I walk this determined dog)

Maria

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slow, your idea of dry brushing with the black is great! It really makes the texture pop.
    I wonder what your magenta glass would look like if you had dry brushed it first with another color, like purple or cobalt blue?

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Oh you girls!!! Today I'm trying this! Unlike Shrty, I can walk my dogs down the long hallway and they think it's a walk!lol! The magenta and the purple, oh my!!! I think I'll try the idea of mixing them!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Call me old and dopey or just young and inexperienced...
    What is glue chip glass? I saw the label for some for the first time in a labeled scrap box at a SG store the other day but the lady was in the back and I didn't ask her about it, and the drawer was sticking so didn't get to see it.

BTW, I LOVE this effect. Gonna have to try it one of these days. Probably too busy right now, darn it!

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glue chip glass had a texture kinda like real frost (not frosted,,fuzzy).
    It is called glue chip because it used to be made by applying animal glue to the surface. As the glue dried, it shrank and pulled parts of the glass off, leaving this interesting texture. Now I believe it is probably machine made.
    Here is a pic of glue chip glass. I had to put something behind it to make the texture show, but it is clear. This is a close up shot also, so pattern is smaller.
    {{!gwi}}

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

those turned out great

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH WOW I discovered in working on my purple dresser picking the right glass to use from my stash that I have lots of this blue chip glass.

I am surprised just the plain acrylic paints will work. Wonderful!! I can try this sooner than I hoped.

Has anyone tried the Testor paints yet? They are oil based and were used to paint model cars and?? I have some of that also. OH My I can see this is going to be fun.

Still not sure on what the dry brushing is of the black?? How do you do that??

Chris

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You know, brush some black paint on, wipe it off..just enough catches on the texture to make it shadowed.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH Thanks Bama. Guess I should have figured that out. I can not wait to try this!!!!

Chris

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

OK - I think I'm undertanding what you all are doing. But don't the paint scratch off the glass with the least little thing touching it? I mean if you cut into squares & had them in a container, wouldn't the edges touching each other just scrape off the paint or am I missing something?

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

This post happened at the perfect time...I have been busy the last week tumbling broken dishes along with some glass tiles that I had ordered awhile back. I learned the hard way that Van Gogh glass should NOT be tumbled unless you want the paint to come off it. I only tumbled it 20 minutes but that was long enough to ruin it all. An expensive lesson for sure.
    However, now after reading and seeing Slow, Bama and Maria's faux glass attempts and liking the results I am going to try my hand at duplicating Van Gogh glass too!

Oh BTW..I WILL NOT BE TUMBLING IT!!!! LOL

Barb

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cac..yes the paint can scratch. With that in mind, I wouldn't cut a bunch of tiles and put them in a container. I plan on cutting only as I need them.

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

I have a thought. I'd hate for anyone to get into trouble for calling this "Van Gogh" glass. Let's call it VAN FAUX glass :)

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Vanfo it is!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

I guess "Van FO" IS better than someone calling it "Van FOX", huh?? :)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Bama, have you grout your pot yet?

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nope, not yet. I'll do it when I do the stone.

Sponsored