calinromania

Down to the grouting stage

calinromania
13 years ago

hello everyone,

here's what i just finished today.

well, almost.

i need to grout it.

would really like to know what would u choose. black or grey?

would black really break the sky into squares? cause i'd really like to use black! as i normally do.

what do you think?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• flagtruck
    13 years ago

Calin- You have done a beautiful job on this as you usually do. I really can't invision this with black grout as I think it would be too harsh. I think a dk grey or charcoal for the water and a lighter grey for the top and sky. Butt---wait for more opinions as someone else will probably pop in here.
    Good work.

• silvamae
    13 years ago

I almost always use a pale brown grout. It really looks good with blue.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Very pretty so far .I think grey would be good.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I like it even without grout and I am a grout lover!!! I say grey grout, and if it doesn't do what you want, then a wash of black over it! Lovely!Like Flag said...as usual!!!

• calinromania
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hey all and thanks for liking it.
    yup. i guess the best idea is to try a grey one and then, if not happy with it, go over it with a darker one.
    :D

• fldirt
    13 years ago

Oh, I really like this! The colors are great & you did a good job will the placement of tiles.

• calinromania
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you all!
    i have never done a two-tone grouting. it's hard enough for me to do just one.
    this grouting stage is both my favorite and the one i hate most.
    is that possible?
    i love it cause the piece i worked on so hard is almost done and i love the feeling when it's all covered and you can't see anything underneath, and little by little it gets better and better with each wipe.

then...at the same time i hate it. all my hands and nails are black, and it feels like it takes forever to get it all clean and spotless, and there is a mess all around, etc... you get the picture!

ANYWAY... i hope this weekend to find a couple of hours to get this done. i will post a pic with it finished, for sure!

problem is... i am running out of tiles. no chances of saving enough money to afford another large buy.

oh, well!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

Nice work, CALIN: You paint the picture so well - I hate grouting too. I wear two pairs of gloves, and the black grout stain still gets under my nails.

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Yep me too!!!!

• realrose
    13 years ago

Yep me three!

• calinromania
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gloves... NAH!
    tried them with my first mosaic. after a few swipes, i could feel the cold grout coming through the gloves.
    and i don't get the FEEL!
    now i never use gloves, and my hands are always black.
    this is a reason to take a long bath and soak them.
    yey!
    today i am planning to grout it.
    i would love to try the light grey (sky) and dark grey (everything else)... but i am afraid i am gonna sc**w it.... i am afraid i am gonna make a mess and have the darker one wash over the lighter one...etc... plus i don't know the "know how"!

do i do it at the same time? one after the other? which one first? darker or lighter?

do i wait for the first to dry?

really confused!

maybe i'd better just go with a medium grey all over!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Hey Calin, if you haven't done this yet, I'd say go for the light grey first, let it dry...to see how you like it, and then if you want to change it...or just some of it, then do a "wash"(watered down paint) of grey or black acrylic paint over it.You could even paint the sky blue or whatever!

• addiesue
    13 years ago

Very NICE! I too like it even without grout and I love grout! I'm partial to black but that's just me...I have tried other colors and have actually dug it out and regrouted with black. Just wondering...how big is it? Is it a backsplash? I really do love it...very bright and cheerful!

Addiesue

• calinromania
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello all
    I did it. Friday evening. 11.30 pm caught me cleaning it.
    I did a normal grey for the top part, and then a slightly darker one (mixed with the black one I got).
    The hue difference is slight.... but looks nice.
    it's not a backsplash - it's 50x50 cm (we don't use inches and feet around here, roughly 20 inches).
    On MDF board, 1,8 cm thick.
    Have never done this "wash".
    Won't it stain the tiles? Since I use a lot of vitreous glass, and beads, and they have cracks and stuff. Even grout gets caught in it... what about this "wash" ???
    I'll haver to take a close look. Maybe the ocean could be a little darker...

{{!gwi}}

• creativebutmessy
    13 years ago

Lovely work Calin. It turned out beautifully. Well done.

• addiesue
    13 years ago

OOooohhh, I LOVE it! And the grout is perfect! You did a wonderful job!

Addiesue

• calinromania
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• texaswild
    13 years ago

It's PERFECT. Lovely work. The movement - !

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Yes it is very pretty I love what you have done with it .

• angs_pool
    13 years ago

It is SO pretty!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

A wash doesn't stain the tiles cuz you wipe it off after a few seconds. You take some watered down paint, brush it on(or sometimes I use a sponge) and see if it is the color you want, then apply everywhere you want it, then just wipe it off after say, 30 seconds, it will have soaked into the grout a bit and will be able to wipe off the surface of your tesserae. It's the adding water to water it down so it isn't as strong a regular mix paint, that does the trick. I hope this isn't as confusing as I make it! Maybe someone else can explain it better....
    Now that being said, I LOVE how it looks with grout!!! So precise!!! (I mailed off your Nicethyme card...finally...I had lost it in my car for a few days(forgotten and slid behind the seat)so don't know how long it takes to get to you...)That card sure gets around, from Nicethyme's part of the world(USA) to Canada and now Romania!!!WOW!!!

• calinromania
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS 2 x.
    I got the info and i understand. but right now, it's ok as it is. will try to remember next i need to do this.

and I ALSO GOT THE POSTCARD!

THANKS. it's on my fridge now... all the way here in romania!

• emtnest
    13 years ago

Your work is beautiful!!! Great composition!

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer