Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterflies and Outer Space

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 13:56

Here's what I've been up to lately. I made three butterflies on mesh for a community project, and I've been working for three months on a large Outer Space mosaic, also on mesh, which was meant to be a cow for CowParade Austin. Sadly I will not be doing the cow, so I turned to my alternate plan, a large wall hanging. If you go to my blog, the first picture is Saturn and the next pictures are of the butterflies, which were so much fun to do, I think I will do more since I haven't mailed the box yet. The Outer Space mosaic is loaded with stained glass, crystals, costume jewelry, pearls, beads, dichroic, and other goodies, and will be at least 3 feet x 4 feet and maybe larger. I'm close to finishing and will post pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: silva's blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterflies and Outer Space

Beautiful butterflies, SILVA. Nothing like blk/wht to show off colors. Yours are just lovely. Like Saturn too. three by four ft. is quite large. Where w/you hang that puppy? My ceramicist friend and student makes HUGE pieces - room wall size pieces. I saw a three-set piece she recently took to sell to a gallery owner in Atlanta. I can't even imagine how to work that large. If you'd like to see her work, check out Polly Cook. She's currently putting together a show in Switzerland. Her parents live behind me, and she's just down the street. I taught her the lath technique, but she's so busy she hasn't had time to mosaic her head planter she's made.

o

Wonderful! I just did a similar technique of laying out my luna moth, tho I didn't put them on mesh.
Saturn is coming along very well. I'm so sorry that you weren't chosen for the cow. But the outer space hanging is going to be gorgeous! (May be you could add a cow nebula just to mock the whole process in a subtle way of course.)
Kathy

o

BAH!, who wants an outer space themed cow anyways!!! lol LOVE LOVE LOVE your Saturn and cannot wait to see your total work (I'm a real sucker for the mixed media, but you probably know that)

and your Bflies are great too,,, that will be some amazing mural Eve is putting together

o

Haha, thanks, Slow, Kathy, and Nicethyme! I am obsessing over this Outer Space theme; I just keep adding and adding to it and it just grows and grows, like in a scary science fiction movie. Yep, I think I will sneak in a subtle little cow reference somewhere in the sky ...

o

I forgot to say, in my hurry, how much I like the black and white edge to the butterflys. What a good way to evoke the complex pattern they have there. I love love the yellow one in particular.
Kathy

o

Wow, Saturn is just beautiful! I love mixed media too. This whole thing will be gorgeous.

Love the butterflies and your how-to makes it look so simple.
The tip on b&w borders is something I'll keep in mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here