Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Butterflies and Outer Space

silvamae
12 years ago

Here's what I've been up to lately. I made three butterflies on mesh for a community project, and I've been working for three months on a large Outer Space mosaic, also on mesh, which was meant to be a cow for CowParade Austin. Sadly I will not be doing the cow, so I turned to my alternate plan, a large wall hanging. If you go to my blog, the first picture is Saturn and the next pictures are of the butterflies, which were so much fun to do, I think I will do more since I haven't mailed the box yet. The Outer Space mosaic is loaded with stained glass, crystals, costume jewelry, pearls, beads, dichroic, and other goodies, and will be at least 3 feet x 4 feet and maybe larger. I'm close to finishing and will post pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: silva's blog

Comments (6)

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Beautiful butterflies, SILVA. Nothing like blk/wht to show off colors. Yours are just lovely. Like Saturn too. three by four ft. is quite large. Where w/you hang that puppy? My ceramicist friend and student makes HUGE pieces - room wall size pieces. I saw a three-set piece she recently took to sell to a gallery owner in Atlanta. I can't even imagine how to work that large. If you'd like to see her work, check out Polly Cook. She's currently putting together a show in Switzerland. Her parents live behind me, and she's just down the street. I taught her the lath technique, but she's so busy she hasn't had time to mosaic her head planter she's made.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wonderful! I just did a similar technique of laying out my luna moth, tho I didn't put them on mesh.
    Saturn is coming along very well. I'm so sorry that you weren't chosen for the cow. But the outer space hanging is going to be gorgeous! (May be you could add a cow nebula just to mock the whole process in a subtle way of course.)
    Kathy

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

BAH!, who wants an outer space themed cow anyways!!! lol LOVE LOVE LOVE your Saturn and cannot wait to see your total work (I'm a real sucker for the mixed media, but you probably know that)

and your Bflies are great too,,, that will be some amazing mural Eve is putting together

• silvamae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha, thanks, Slow, Kathy, and Nicethyme! I am obsessing over this Outer Space theme; I just keep adding and adding to it and it just grows and grows, like in a scary science fiction movie. Yep, I think I will sneak in a subtle little cow reference somewhere in the sky ...

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I forgot to say, in my hurry, how much I like the black and white edge to the butterflys. What a good way to evoke the complex pattern they have there. I love love the yellow one in particular.
    Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow, Saturn is just beautiful! I love mixed media too. This whole thing will be gorgeous.

Love the butterflies and your how-to makes it look so simple.
    The tip on b&w borders is something I'll keep in mind.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!