Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete Walkway with Mosaic Inlay

Posted by willow-bee (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 13:52

Hi everyone! You've got yourself a newbie here. I'm looking for some advice on an outdoor mosaic project. I have a concrete walkway that my husband and I poured last summer. It has seventeen 6-inch diameter circular indentations in the concrete, which we created with the idea of filling them with mosaic inlays. I've worked with stained glass for years, but never with mosaic.

I've made two of the mosaics, using vitreous glass tile glued with white glue upside down to a piece of heavy kraft paper in the reverse method. The pieces of glass are extremely, ridiculously small - some as small as 1/4".

My question is, what material would you use to install and grout the mosaics into the concrete depressions? I feel like I've read many different ways I could do it. I've read that sanded grout is best for outdoor applications, but wouldn't be good for the tiny grout lines I've left. I'm worried about the small pieces getting shifted around in the process.

The depressions are about 1/4" deep. I live in Maine, so there's definitely a freeze/thaw cycle!

Any advice is appreciated - thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete Walkway with Mosaic Inlay

If it were me, I would use thinset (mortar) as an adhesive and also as grout. What a cool sidewalk you will have! I love the curves of it.

o

and also meant to say, "Welcome!"

o

cool, sanded grout fits everywhere . I would love to play with filling those depressions with stained glass and rocks... oooOOoo, the opportunity abounds

keep us posted PLEASE

o

Thanks so much for the advice! The guy at Home Depot recommended regular old mortar, so I think I will give that a try as far as what to lay the tiles into. And unless anyone else chimes in otherwise (and please do!) I'll try sanded grout.

There's a line engraved on the walkway with an angle grinder that represents a timeline of the earth, and the mosaics will show different events/creatures that evolved along the timeline...starting out with the formation of the earth and moon, the atmosphere, dinosaurs, dragonflies, fish, etc. ...and finally people!

(Super nerdy, I know. We like science.) I'll be sure to post some photos of the mosaics when I get them in!

o

then dang! call my nerd queen! cause I love that idea!

I would go with thinset for adhesive though

o

That is going to be fabulous!! Please post pics along the way.

o

Looking foward to pic's

o

Yes sounds like it is going to be great !!! Have fun!!!

o

What a cool project! I look forward to seeing more pics of this!

o

LOVE THIS!!! Plz keep posting work in progress pics<(WIP Pics)

o

Hello all! Looks like there's some interest in my project (which warms my little heart). Here are a couple photos of the first two insets I put in last weekend. They are in the bed of thinset, but not grouted yet. I put too much thinset into the dragonfly one so there's not much room - or any in some spots - for grout, so I'm not sure how that's going to look. The dragonfly also taught me the importance of using high-contrast colors between subject matter and background (his body is kinda lost in the background). Better to learn on #1 than #12, I guess! So 2 down, 15 more to go....

o

...and the moon!

o

Looks good!

o

Awesome! What fun! I'm so jealous, I've been trying to get to my wall but my kids are popping out babies and getting married, which leaves no time for my mosaics. Currently I am living through other peoples work.
LOL
Thanks for sharing.....

o

Wow, looking good!

o

That is going to be so nice,you are doing a great job

o

Looking so good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here