Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using gems

Posted by flagtruck (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 13:32

Mermaid and others, I noticed that you don't like to grout around gems....somewhere a year or so ago I read a tip about that and will pass it on as it has worked for me.
When using gems,glue the top or curved side down, this places more of the gem at the height of your other tess and grouting is a breeze.

I too was digging out the grout around the rounds, then tried this and it is a breeze...
good luck,Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using gems

How simple! Does the grout show very much where it goes under the curve, or do you use enough adhesive to fill that gap? Gotta try this one soon....

Pat

o

I have been contemplating trying this too

o

That sounds like a sure winner...gonna try it next time and see how I like it. Thanks.

Be Safe,

o

Just grout as usual and it will fill itself in...sure is a nice look.

o

Great tip! Gonna try that next time. Thanks, Flag!

o

Flag, thanks for that tip, will try on next project. Sounds so much easier.

Do you have a pix of what that looks like? You mean I don't have to curse while grouting anymore?? LOL

o

Mermaid, I just posted pix of plant stands I finished, you can see the gems on them...looks the same, just round and shiny and not so much grout to dig out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here