Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndalu_gw

WIP - Terracotta pot

lyndalu
16 years ago

I did something a little different on this terracotta pot. On the standard terracotta pots  that have the "lip" at the top  did ya ever wish it was just smooth all the way down  and you didnÂt have to deal with the 2 different levels? IÂve seen some very pretty ways to deal with it  and they even look great with the lip painted instead of mosaicÂd (just recently Bama and Rosie did beautiful painting techniques on the tops of their pots)  but I bought some bigger pots recently (during a great sale)  and I came up with something to resolve thisÂ.I put a coating of concrete  starting just under the lip, and then smoothing it out towards the middle of the pot. Like this:

IÂm using these dishes. I absolutely love these colors, and the design on the plates, and have been so anxious to use them. Oh, and BEST PART  they are a dream to cut!! The breaks are clean, very little chipage. They are just great. They are LYNNS china  I have found some other beautiful patterns by Lynns, and they have always been easy to nip.

As I cut the pieces, I kept them "together" because I wanted at least part of it to keep the design from the plates, mugs, etc. I used the mugs at the top. And the rest so far are the big plates. IÂve got some solid blues, greens, yellow and some coordinating glass globs as well. This is what it looks like so far. ItÂs 14 inches tall, and 18 inches wide at the top.

Comments (40)

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

THAT is gonna be GORGEOUS! Where did you get the Lynn's dishes?

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

It's a nice solution to the lip problem.

I hope you have better luck with terra cotta than I do.

Everything I've ever had or made with terra cotta has fallen aprt in less than 6 months.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

What a great idea, and I absolutely LOVE the design you've created on the pot. Those dishes are a dream find. Anxious to see this filled in.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Ya know what? This is a GREAT idea for that pesky rim situation! Gonna try that with the next pot i do.
    I love your dishes. Looks like they cut like BUDDAH.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pot!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

wow! you are painting with those dishes! WOW... it's fabulous so far. I love that you smoothed those rims - seeing as that style is the cheapest clay and when you go for smooth rimless pots they are way more dollars! very beautiful work!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

ooohhhhh! I love your design and choice of dishes. Very pretty! I really like what you did to reshape the pot too.
    Great project...... can't wait to see it done!

Hazie

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

LYNDALU: You do have a way with designs! That is gonna be one beautiful pot. I cannot wait to see how you finish it.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Looks like those plates were made to order for you.Cheeful and sunny just like you and what a great design..gonna be great with your big vase!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Great idea! And great score on those plates, I like using dishes a lot and am now anxious to try cutting some on my tile saw...Those are some colorful plates, can hardly wait to see the rest!!!

• lyndalu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ronnie - thanks! found those dishes at our local Kiwanis Thrift Store.

slow, bama, nice, hazie, jane - thanks...and I'm glad you guys felt the same about the "pesky rim situation" :)

rosie and annie.... gosh...thank you so much.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

OH Man that is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! Love your design!!! I also like your smoothing out the pot with cement. Gives a much nicer surface for design.

Good job.

Chris

• wackyweeder
    16 years ago

Woof! That is soooo pretty!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

I found there's lots of Lynn's on ebay. Nothing cheap though. I bet your local Kiwanis ts doesn't keep those in stock, does it :)

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Love how you did the lip. Good idea! The plates are gorgeous & how you kept the pattern. Nice cutting!

I bought a can of spray for covering where you take branches off trees & it said it was also fantastic for sealing clay pots. I'm going to try that.

• lyndalu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi! I finally finished this pot. Here's the pics. I decided to leave some of the terracotta pot showing. The color went so well, that it only seemed right. And I remembered Barb's (balje) watering can - and I really liked the way she left the top of the watering can showing - so I thought - okay - that's inspiration enough - I'll do it! (Thanks, Barb!)

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Lyndalu, your pot is BEAUTIFUL!!! Your attention to detail in your design makes your work outstanding! Gosh, I just love this pot!

Please tell how you keep your design together. You've cut your rim and then cut it in many pieces yet, you've been able to keep the design on your pot. I'm afraid I would get it all mixed up. I haven't worked with dishes that much. You have mastered mosaicing with them!

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Lyndalu: That is a real WORK OF ART! Beautifully executed and well planned. BRAVO! Clap, clap!!
    I wish I could perfect cutting dishes; I guess that's why I've been sticking to glass.

• lyndalu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Debbi! Welcome back - we missed you!

Debbi - Rosie - gosh, thank you SO much! Your complements really mean a lot to me!!

Debbi - on keeping the design together - when I'm nipping the plate, I do keep the pieces together. I lay them out on old cookie sheets (or other miscellaneous flat-type trays) and keep the pieces kind of medium sized. Then while I'm placing the tesserae, I cut them into smaller pieces. This is a picture of one of the smaller plates laid out and ready to go (but NOT cut into smaller pieces yet).

And rosie - in working with dishes - these particular plates cut so beautifully - they were a dream to work with. Now the green, blue and terracotta solids - they were another matter - they did NOT cut easily (had ragged edges that were tedious to "tidy up") - but they were perfect colors, so what can you do.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Love the colors in your pot. Looks good with the terra cotta showing, too.

Maria

• crystal01
    16 years ago

what a beautiful project. Love everything! (Design, colors, smoothing out the rim.)

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Turned out just gorgeous. I love how you left some of the terra cotta showing...good job!!!!

• ba1je
    16 years ago

thats a beautiful pot. i love the colors and the design just seems to flow. you really did a great job...barb

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I don't believe I've EVER seen such precision worked into a mosaic using dish shards. This is absolutely first class - from the color combos, design, and shapes of the tesserae. You really have this thing nailed down to an art. Excellent mosaicing. What a great system for keeping your design intact. Gonna try that whenever I get back to shards.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful job lynda like all your jewels.love how you left part of the pot showing...Annie

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info on how to do this! I'd really like to try this! You did an outstanding job!!!

• hrsg
    16 years ago

How lovely, and precise! These are the prettiest pots I've seen. New spin on using china. ~: )

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

Lyndalu, what an inspiration! I have a terracotta pot that I'd like to try and you've given me some great ideas. I haven't cut up any plates yet cuz I'm scared to, lol. How did you cut them so nicely - any tips?

Your pot is absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Cindy

• lyndalu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much for the very sweet comments. It means a lot to me.

Cindy  to answer your question on tips on cutting plates  the technique I use is very much like the one described on the "Happy Craftn" site. She gives really good directions and even has pictures  IÂll put the link below (others here have referred to this site in the past  I think it has a lot of good information). Even though her directions are for the wheeled nippers, you can still apply most of what she says to the other type of nippers, too. I think the most important thing is just catch the EDGE of the piece in the nippers. Think "nibble", not "chomp". And pay attention to the direction the nippers are pointing  aim in the direction you want to cut. IÂve learned to "nibble" away at a piece to get it the shape I want, or to clean up a ragged edge.

And some plates cut beautifully, some donÂt. And itÂs really hard to tell before you cut into them. (Ha! WouldnÂt you just love to take your nippers with you to the TS, and whip them out and see how that puppyÂs gonna break?!) But a couple of little things IÂve learned is that some of the plates that IÂve found that already have nicks have also been ones that didnÂt break easily (or had a ragged break). DonÂt know if thatÂs ALWAYS true, but I think IÂm starting to see a trend. Also, I havenÂt had good luck with thicker plates. If you have the good luck to find some LynnÂs china, grab it  theyÂve got some gorgeous patterns  and all that IÂve used have been really great to nip!

Thanks again, itÂs so much fun sharing things here  you all are always so kind and generous with your compliments.

Here is a link that might be useful: instructions for nipping plates

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

I can not believe how much detail you have in your pot! I love the colors and I can't believe how evenly spaced you have your dish shards! Simply fantastic!!!!

Barb

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

HOLY DAWG SNOT!!
    What a wonderful pot. I mean it, really wonderful. You left such a clean edge to your grout too.
    Of course the precision in your plate pieces is amazing.
    Thanks for sharing the info.

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

GORGEOUS!! I am going to try this. And everyone knows it, too. I go to people's houses and scope out their dishes and coyly ask, "So...didn't I hear you say you wanted to get new dishes? They're having a sale at Macy's! I'll go with you!" Because, who doesn't want new dishes? And then they have to do something with the old ones. Tee hee hee. I see it as a win-win situation! I am also paying closer attention to dishes to "antique" stores thanks to you!

• mdunkin
    16 years ago

Lyndalu, did you use thinset mortar, or adhesive? If you used adhesive, what brand do you use? I don't have much luck with most types of glue, including Silicone II

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

great pot girl! I am googling those dishes right now I really need some pink colored for my DD nightstand.

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

I can't see the pics. all I get is blue boxes and no pics...Help!!!!

• lyndalu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you guys, so much.

mdunkin - I use the cement based mortar mix to adhere the tesserae - and this is the brand I always use - MAPEI - Ultraflex 2 - Professional Grade Polymer Modified Mortar. I've never tried anything else, since I've always been satisfied with this.

coppertop - sorry you couldn't see the pictures. I wonder if photobucket was just down temporarily or something. Maybe you can see them now? In case you're still having a problem, I'll put a link to my album below....maybe that will work better for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: lyndalu's album

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

OK, got to see the pics this morning. The pot IS beautiful!! Love those dishes...

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

You truly are the Plate Queen!! I Enjoyed your whole album and found it sooo inspiring! Your bird houses, birdbath (red one) Just Everything is very well done! And your wood box is a great first project! You definitely have an eye for great nippable(is that a word?) plates! Jane

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

WHEW! wow Lyndalu... wow

that pot came out FABULOUS! wow... I can't even find words, wow...

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

Lyndalu I'm so sorry! I thought I responded to this already :( Thank you so much for the tips and the great link. I read through it and it all makes so much more sense now. I was definitely chomping, lol. Good to have an idea of what kind of plates to look for too.

Thanks again,

Cindy

• lyndalu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

copper, calamity, nice.....thank you so much.

Cindy...glad the tips helped. Yeah, I was doing the chomping thing before, too.....it really helped me to learn to "nibble" instead of chomp. :)

Sponsored