Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Table

Posted by larke (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 13:13

Hi, I have an old piece of stained glass (from a larger window) that I want to put into a coffee table with a light underneath. I don't have a particular table yet, but I know I want the light not to be very bright, not strong, just enough to make the point and I don't know how to set it up. Would an LED light be too strong and/or focused at one point (thinking of using one because it would last a long time) or should I use something else? Is there any way to do it without electric cords being involved? Basically, anyone have a clue where to start? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Table

what about using those no flame candles? they even have them that change colors to add drama??? Just a thought

o

Thanks, but a) I have no idea what those are, b) I'd like something that can be turned on whenever I like and stay on (til I turn it/them off). Somehow the idea of candles (unless I'm wrong about those) sounds very impermanent and that it might end up being 'flickery', which I'm not really interested in.

o

If you use one light you will get a bright spot no matter what. depending on how you make it-rope lighting is a good bet or led light bars set into the edges under the piece. You also need to have a good bright white reflective surface to evenly diffuse the light back up into the stained glass. Do a google search for "light box" these are used by glassers to cut glass. your table will have to incorporate this general idea to do what you want it to. Good luck!

o

Thanks - I discovered light boxes today and will look into them (not cheap!), thanks again. I also might do something with mirrors.

o
What about Christmas lights?

I've made glass block lights with stained glass on the outside and christmas lights on the inside and the light looks pretty even to me. Also, they are a cheap/easy thing to experiment with first.

o

Yes I was going to say christmas lights either the small ones or the large ones. Also you will need some kind of support for the glass or it will sag in the middle depending on how big it is. You could build or buy a shadow box put the stained glass on top & lights inside. i have seen tables like this where you can put things inside to show.
Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here