Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question: how to make a form ....

Posted by stoneybaloney (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 08 at 13:13

I'm still very much a newbie, popped in the end of last year to begin learning, and then got side-tracked by work and life.

Now I'm back, and working on creating the mosaics for inverted memorial markers for our furbabies who have left for the Rainbow Bridge.

Sometime in the past eight or nine months, I think I remember reading a post which gave instructions for making the form out of wood. DH will be doing that part and he wants instructions. My selective memory has come up with this, but he says it's not good enough ... take four pieces of wood and make a frame that's 16 x 10. He wants more information.

Can someone help me? I've read through some of the back posts looking for instructions, but got side-tracked looking at the pictures of all the beautiful work and figured I'd better just ask the question or I'll never get my bum down to the basement to work on glueing the stones to my design paper.

Thanking you in advance ....

StoneyB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question: how to make a form ....

Well, the frame needs a bottom, so cut your bottom and put the pieces of wood around it - this is to hold and shape your concrete markers. I've seen people use pizza boxes for forms - or shoe boxes, or cake pans, or whatever shape you want your stone to be. Be creative. Be sure and pour the form half full, then put in a layer of some kind of re-enforcement - such as wire mesh - or gutter guard metal or chicken wire - something to keep your marker from breaking. Then pour the form full, smooth it, cover w/plastic wrap until it drys. Some w/tell you to spritz it daily w/water for three/four days until completely set up, then mosaic away. This is the way I made a patio mirror, and it's held up well. Only thing was, I put a mirror in mine, and it broke, so I mosaiced over the break w/more mirror pieces in the form of a flower. Anxious to see this work - huuuuuuuuuurry.

o

Thank you, slowmedown. I totally did not remember anything about re-enforcement so it's a good thing I asked rather than just winging it. We have a lot of extra screen material, I'll use that in the middle. I got about halfway done glueing the first marker, hoping to finish tomorrow or Tuesday. We'll see how long it takes hubby to do the frame for me.

o

So glad you asked StoneyB, this is good info to have!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here