Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkerri

!st mosaic project wip

katkerri
15 years ago

~ trying to mosaic a wooden picture frame with broken flowerpot shards~

Such an exciting process! IÂm just loving it !!!

I read about Gorilla glueÂs expansion factor

right b4 I was just about to use it !!!

Had already opened the bottle then

thought to read about it 1st.

Ayyayay,

my little project could have been ruined or too difficult to fix

and I probably would have been discouraged n given it up altogether.

Luckily, i did find a box of grey thinset on my "future projects" shelf

and mosaiced the top-and-bottom parts of the (12x13.5")frame so far.

NowÂm sanding the edges of the remaining shards w/ a rock.

Tried sandpaper first but it shredded itself pretty quickly.

I do like the color grey of the thinset better when itÂs wet than when dry.

No camera, but will try to scan whenever the thinset dries

Will that be by tonight or tomorrow? :)

k

Comments (25)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Boy, do you like to tease us or WHAT. Can't wait to seeeeeeeee. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuury.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Yup, what Slow said, hurry up!
    It sounds great!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

If we can't wait, bet you can't either!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

sure glad you didn't use the gorilla glue, i want to see too.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Yeah, once was enough for me on that Gorilla glue.

• katkerri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You all are so much faster than me!!
    I can't remember how to post an image to the forum.
    Where to click?

• katkerri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sort of glumpy, but hope grouting will make it look smoother.
    I found some tan-colored grout, do you think that will work w/ these colors.
    {{!gwi}}

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

i really like those colors, is that tile or broken plates? i think tan or gray would look good
    bonnie

• katkerri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bonnie, yes it was a broken flowerpot
    from Oaxaca, Mexico. Smashed and sanded
    into little pieces.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Oooo, that's pretty pottery! Looks good on that frame. I like the dark gray color of that thinset for grout. I think a tan color might make you lose the tan color in your pottery, imho.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What beautiful pottery! That gray sounds good.
    Just a tip, keep your grout lines small. Just makes a richer looking piece in my opinion.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Very pretty, KAT. You've done a beautiful job of laying the tiles. The background looks so good it appears to have been grouted already, so charcoal or grey w/be better IMO. Remember, you don't have to "color between the lines" on these frames. Some of the most beautiful ones I've see, go waaaaay outside the frame, and into the center. Whatcha gonna put in this little beauty?

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Gorgeous already, and the grout color will make it POP!!!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Kat, it's looking very pretty, can't wait to see if finished, i agree dark gray grout and wow it will POP!! Great. job, isn't this fun??

• katkerri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

~many thanks for kind encouragement from everyone ~
    yes iÂm getting some charcoal grey
    grout my dd sychronistically found in her garage today,
    so weÂre pretty sure the mosaic fairies are helping.
    today i mosaiced the outer sides of the frame, with just a few tiles leftover.
    applying cowry shells to inner edges of frame w/ thinset.
    thinking of adding beads/tiny shells to wider grout lines
    when grouting?
    iÂm hoping to find a mirror to fit into the frame somewhere in this house.
    yes, best fun! blessings, kat
    {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    15 years ago

WOW - There's that word again, but I can't think of another one for a first mosaic project. You should have seen my first piece! AWFUL. Your mirror frame is absolutely beautiful. Anxious to see it grouted. Just a note about adding smaller things as you grout. IF you want them sitting IN the grout, it w/be a good idea to make an indention in your damp grout to put them in w/glue later. If not, your grout, unless you add glue to it, might not hold them as w/your thinset.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

This is a great first project! And I am blown away by your sanding efforts!!! I bought a sanding stone from a flooring shop, plus I have a rock tumbler that Slow sent me from harbor frieght, so much cheaper costing than here in Canada, and I love using that puppy!!! Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done...now you'll be hooked!heh heh!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I can't believe this is your first project. What a wonderful job you've done. You had some really great tile to work with, didn't you? It's just turning out so great! It'll be fun to look back and know this was your "first" project and it turned out sooooooo wonderfully!

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

oh this is lovely! and how gorgeous are those pottery pieces. I cant wait to see this finished, well done!

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

Beautiful job,I have never sanded edge of plates or tile,really gives it a different look,looks wonderful hard to believe your new to this.

• scootsmom
    15 years ago

I love this! Such pretty tiles too. You did fantastic on your first project, but I oughta warn you, it WILL NOT be your last. I bet you are hooked now. I wish I had some mosaic fairies!

Allyson

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Your gorilla glue project turned out so much better than mine did! I tried that stuff too.....NEVER AGAIN! mine went in the trash. Sure would've been a shame to lose those
    pretty tiles.

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

This is beautiful! I like the way the sanded edges of the tiles look - very professional!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

This is just one of my FAVORITE projects. I love the tile you used and it's turning out so wonderfully. Did you file each piece by hand or use a sander? I like the look too!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL you should be proud. This is a great start if this is truly your first project. I love the tiles or shards from the flowerpot. You did a beautiful job placing them. Great Job