Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

Back to Betty's Backsplash

bettycbowen
14 years ago

Hi everybody, now that I have 3 of 4 summer art camps out of the way I'm back to the backsplash - between bouts of garden work of course.

DH wanted me to do the section directly behind the sink first, for moisture control. As this is really the only area where water might hit, I'm using a background of small square tile with smalti inserts so I can grout it smooth (except for the smalti of course)

So here are a few pics!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I was hoping I was posting a link to the album, but it didn't, so here are more pictures, sorry

This shows where it is and how close behind the sink

This was the first circle I did. The green is repeated in the window frame above. My MAIN green tile - light avocado - is no longer available - I'm glad I bought 4 pounds but still it will be difficult to not use up too fast.

This spiral is small and was a real challenge for me. It has lots of pieces of iridescent terracotta in the reds that really don't show. I love how the blue line contrasts.

This last one I did in honor of a couple of friends who visited the site of Van Gogh's "Yellow House" in Arles France this week, where he was living when he painted all the sunflowers

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Very cool! Are you doing the smalti part on mmesh or actually working in behind the sink there? Love the colors!

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness wacky, I wouldn't be able to stand up straight if I'd done those on the wall over the sink!! Its bad enough that I do them on a lap tray with my feet curled up under me - so bad for circulation. I should have said - I'm doing the smalti parts on mesh for sure.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Looks wonderful!!!! Love the irridecent!!!

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Betty I finally saw the mesh in the pic. I was all prepared to think you were one heck of a woman for working behind the sink though...LOL

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Gonna be gorgeous. Lov the colors!!!!! Lov the irridescents!!!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS, BETTY: This is truly gorgeous work. That's gonna be one lovely backsplash.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Love it!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

this is gonna be one amazing kitchen Betty

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

This is such Eye Candy...how's it coming along???

• bettycbowen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like This! Just up a few minutes ago. The red one on the right isn't glued in, so will be shifted. LOTS of touching up, cleaning, filling in gaps to do, as you can well see, but all the same I think I will move on to a new section, for attention-span-management if you know what I mean. I sure wish I could show the iridescence better, but youall know how that is. the brown tiles in the center around the millefiori is super iridescent, kind of concave, terra cotta smalti. I love it. The butterfly right in the middle is for my future daughter in law who got her first teaching job yesterday!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

You are doing a beautiful job...I love all of it. How ingenious to do the hard part on mesh. I wish I had thought of it when I did my Fiesta backsplash in my kitchen. I sorta leaned on the counter and stood on my head and everything else a crazy person with a gimp leg would do...not easy to grout either..lol.
    Bravo for you...lovely and I know you are proud..Keep up the good work.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Yup, this is up there with Flags wonderous kitchen!!! Lovely!!! Keep up the good work!!! Congrats on future DIL too!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Very beautiful. I like how you sprinkle the milli around. Very creative and fun to watch.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH