Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back to Betty's Backsplash

Posted by bettycbowen (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 12:34

Hi everybody, now that I have 3 of 4 summer art camps out of the way I'm back to the backsplash - between bouts of garden work of course.

DH wanted me to do the section directly behind the sink first, for moisture control. As this is really the only area where water might hit, I'm using a background of small square tile with smalti inserts so I can grout it smooth (except for the smalti of course)

So here are a few pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: progress

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back to Betty's Backsplash

Oh I was hoping I was posting a link to the album, but it didn't, so here are more pictures, sorry

This shows where it is and how close behind the sink
yellow red blue

This was the first circle I did. The green is repeated in the window frame above. My MAIN green tile - light avocado - is no longer available - I'm glad I bought 4 pounds but still it will be difficult to not use up too fast.
Yellow

This spiral is small and was a real challenge for me. It has lots of pieces of iridescent terracotta in the reds that really don't show. I love how the blue line contrasts.
Sprial

This last one I did in honor of a couple of friends who visited the site of Van Gogh's "Yellow House" in Arles France this week, where he was living when he painted all the sunflowers
sunflowers for Arles

o

Very cool! Are you doing the smalti part on mmesh or actually working in behind the sink there? Love the colors!

o

Oh my goodness wacky, I wouldn't be able to stand up straight if I'd done those on the wall over the sink!! Its bad enough that I do them on a lap tray with my feet curled up under me - so bad for circulation. I should have said - I'm doing the smalti parts on mesh for sure.

o

Looks wonderful!!!! Love the irridecent!!!

o

Betty I finally saw the mesh in the pic. I was all prepared to think you were one heck of a woman for working behind the sink though...LOL

o

Gonna be gorgeous. Lov the colors!!!!! Lov the irridescents!!!

o

OHMYGOODNESS, BETTY: This is truly gorgeous work. That's gonna be one lovely backsplash.

o

Love it!

o

this is gonna be one amazing kitchen Betty

o

This is such Eye Candy...how's it coming along???

o

Like This! Just up a few minutes ago. The red one on the right isn't glued in, so will be shifted. LOTS of touching up, cleaning, filling in gaps to do, as you can well see, but all the same I think I will move on to a new section, for attention-span-management if you know what I mean. I sure wish I could show the iridescence better, but youall know how that is. the brown tiles in the center around the millefiori is super iridescent, kind of concave, terra cotta smalti. I love it. The butterfly right in the middle is for my future daughter in law who got her first teaching job yesterday!

Photobucket

o

You are doing a beautiful job...I love all of it. How ingenious to do the hard part on mesh. I wish I had thought of it when I did my Fiesta backsplash in my kitchen. I sorta leaned on the counter and stood on my head and everything else a crazy person with a gimp leg would do...not easy to grout either..lol.
Bravo for you...lovely and I know you are proud..Keep up the good work.

o

Yup, this is up there with Flags wonderous kitchen!!! Lovely!!! Keep up the good work!!! Congrats on future DIL too!

o

Very beautiful. I like how you sprinkle the milli around. Very creative and fun to watch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here