Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where do you get your inspiration & ideas?

Posted by trancegemini_wa (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 12:23

hi all, I came across an old picture like a print of a painting in a frame and I want to mosaic over the print and hang it on my living room wall. are there any problems you can see with this?

the biggest hurdle is I have no idea what to mosaic on it! so I thought Id find out how you all come up with your inspiration and ideas, how do you know what design you plan to do and how do you choose your colours?

I dont think Im a naturally artistic person, so knowing what will look good on a project is so confusing to me right now! any tips you can share with a beginner who's artistically challenged? :))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where do you get your inspiration & ideas?

Look at other's mosaics for inspiration. I spend hours and hours and have saved soooo many pics on my computer.
I have copied a picture and resized it (I use Paint Shop Pro) and then just put a piece of glass or plexiglass
over it. You can pick up an ugly picture at a thrift store just for the glass and frame. That is what I'm doing with moonlight bambi.

o

Hi, I too look at a lot of mosaics. I also doodle alot. I have a little note book where I do little drawings, I even have doodles on my grocery lists (more doodles than list!) I save all of those. You'll be surprised how many ideas start developing. Good luck and I'll bet you are far more artistic than you think.

o

Well, I can't draw or doodle to save my life, so my inspiration come from others as well.
I'm not much of a "planner", but I do get sort of a picture in my head and then I just kinda dive in.
Sometimes the magic works!

o

thanks for the replies ladies! ok so Im going to have to start saving some pictures from now on. If I know what Im doing I think I'll be fine but coming up with a design is so hard!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here