Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bright lights Big City ... or Rubicks cube? wip

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 12:20

The garden club built this planter in one of our big beds out of left over 2 foot lengths of granite curbing that the city gave us. (My dh and another guy spent 3 hours setting them in - what is underground is equal to what is above. They shouldn't heave in the frost!) You can see that to maximize planting space we matched up the inside corners which left spaces on the corners and in the middle of each run.

Photobucket

My friend Susan and I try to mosaic every Tuesday morning together. She and I have mosaicked tall square "bricks" to fill in the corners and the mid points. We chose a square motif to be similar to the logo of the agency that asked us to plant a new bed in honor of their 40th anniversary. (used vitreous glass tiles and thinset, then thinset colored charcoal for grout) We are going to cap each one with a square granite tile once installed. (the unmosaicked part will be underground)

Photobucket

Once they were finished I realized they looked like skycrapers OR rubicks cubes. I'll post anther pic after I convince dh to install them.

Photobucket

What think?
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
actually dh just told me...

We need to cut and mortar on the granite before he installs, so he's off the hook for a bit again.
Kathy

o
RE: Bright lights Big City ... or Rubicks cube? wip

What a great project! Be sure and post pictures when it's finished. Those granite curbs were a great haul. :)

o

Those are cute as a button!

o

What a wonderful project, and how nice that your DH helps. What could be better than skyscrapers! Wonderful. Love your plantings too. Y'all did a fabulous job on this. Anxious to see the scrapers installed.

o

Those will look great there, a very nice asset to the garden. It's a bonus that they can look like different things depending on your view. That's what art is supposed to do.

o

Good Job Kathy! I am so proud to know I have been instumental in creating a Mosaicing Machine!!!heh heh! Look out nuthin' in that town will be safe from the clutches of this mosaic Addict now!!!ha!

o

Its true, once I visited Calamity and saw all her wonderful work I had to try it too. AND the gift of a little rock tumbler - I use it all the time! This morning for example. I can't believe how much that sucker holds.
Thanks all for your comments.
Kathy

o

Well blow me away. I had no idea you had visited CALAM!!!!! She told me how many of her friends are from the GW, but I don't remember her mentioning your visit. CALAMITY JANE: Did you give her that tumbler I sent you!!!!!?????? LOL. CALAM has a habit of giving away things - for example her very first project made in that class in PV - a hand w/all the knuckles - from the diamond lath. I couldn't believe it!!!!!!!

o
visit to Vancouver

2 years ago! I met Klinger too! Dh and I took a fabulous trip. He had a meeting in Seattle so I joined him and we went up to Vancouver. It was a wonderful trip, and meeting Calam and Klinger was definitely a highlight.
Kathy

o

Oh, I'm so glad to see this. Doncha just love both of them. I tell you - I LOVE those ladies, and we had such wonderful times together in PV, and w/CALAM here for a week. What a pair!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here