Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass mulch - adhesive?

Posted by jbug73 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 12:03

Newbie here - big project - maybe on the fringe of mosaics, but I think you can help...

I have a multi-panel art piece in the lobby of our office that depicts our company's office locations across the Western US - so imagine a fragmented map with 20+ square panels ranging from 8"sq to 20"sq. Originally, I printed the map on photo paper and glued them to the MDF boards. I've never been happy with it and now they are peeling from the boards and fading from UV.

So, I plan to take the paper off and attach cork for the land masses. My question for you folks is regarding the ocean. I plan to affix blue glass mulch (link below) to the MDF, but with what?

I've thought of painting the board with a blue/gold paint marble effect to utilize the transparency of the glass - make it appear somewhat irradescent. (We have some ornamental metal pieces slicing through that would be great to pull color out of.) So I assume I need to use the GE Silicon that is mentioned often, but how will it fix to acrylic paint?

Or should I try to color thinset? Any hope making it irridescent?

The piece is indoors, but exposed to sunlight, so colorsafe options are best.

http://www.americanspecialtyglass.com/landscapecolorchart.pdf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10248806@N05/3749759918/

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass mulch - adhesive?

Great project! I think the idea of painting(I'd use a metallic craft paint and then clear silicone(will be messy, so be careful!!!)I'd use a popcicle type stick to spread(like peanut butter)the adhesive caulking on, then sprinkle the glass shards on and smoosh them down gently with the stick. I think the metalic paint or that foil stuff, put under the glass will give it an irridecent look(foil comes in copper,bronze and silver, but paint would do too, I'd use paint)anyhoo, that's my suggestion...keep us posted, I would like to see how this turns out! Jane

o

Epoxy-excellent adhesion for the millenia, crystal clear. and you can get either a 5 minute for a short working time or a 30 minute for a longer working time. If you use metallics or paint under it test first to see if it reacts. The girls who work a lot with tempered glass use the stuff under their pieces an d it looks great. good luck!

o

Thanks for the ideas - I hadn't thought of foil, but that really would pick up the metal, wouldn't it?

Epoxy - I'll be curious to see how it reacts to paint as well. I really would like something that lasts until I retire - which could be 40 years now!

Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here