Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shrty411

small project LONG story

shrty411
15 years ago

NEVER intended to do any kind of memorial for my son in mosaic.

Apparently, I was wrong

I bought this little box at a garage sale and I was thinking of what to do with it. I was going to call is small stuff...kind of a play on how a lot of people call me short stuff. Then this popped in my head and wouldn't leave.

When Jason was in the hospital, I bought him a big bowl of cut up watermelon. After I left that evening, his uncle ( this guy made the 120 mile round trip AT LEAST once a week!!) and two cousins ( 9-10 ish) came to visit. He ended up sharing the watermelon with the boys. he talked and talked about how much he enjoyed that!! One day ( he was talking about this ) and he looked me in the eye and said "It's the little things, that's what's important, mom"

So, here it is..."it's the little things.."

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, SHRTY: How touching. You make such wonderful projects, especially boxes, and this one is no exception. W/you put some little mementos inside? You KNOW I like your color combo cuz I used the same two in my cross.

• shrty411
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure yet Slow. I'm sure whoever put that in my head will let me know what it's supposed to hold!!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Shrrty,

Such a lovely true sentiment and the box is wonderful!! Yes, you will come up the right treasures/mementos to put inside.

What kind of glass is that?/my favorite colors!!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Forgot to menion what a great job you did on the pc tiles!
    And that blue van gogh is my favorite!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Wonderful story and you do such great boxes!

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

What a wonderful project for a memorial. You will always remember it's true meaning. Your boxes are wonderful and I can't think of a better personal connection for you.

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

What a great sentiment. (((((((( Shorty ))))))))

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Oh Shrty!!! WONDERFUL!!! Thank you for sharing! I KNOW I'll make something special in memory of my baby grand daughter who died 1 wk before she was born! Thank you again for sharing this!!! God Bless You!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

What a heartful story......I can so relate.......you did a wonderful job on the memory box.....I am deeply touched.

• shrty411
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooh, Jane so sorry!! I'm sure inspiration will hit you at the right time

thanks everyone

The top is Van gogh glass and the bottom tiles are colorfusion tiles from Maryland Mosaics

• SadieSadie
    15 years ago

Beautiful -- the box and the story behind it!

Hugs,
    SadieSadie

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

What a touching project..so very sorry to hear about your son.

• shrty411
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FINISHED!!

Blue /green Van gogh on top. Others are colorfusion teal with some glitter and regular blue . Black grout

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Shrty, I loved the story and mostly that you found such a perfect way to bring that saying to life in a beautiful piece where it can be enjoyed and thought about. You did a lovely job...as usual. I love this box and the sentiment, which we all know is true and sometimes forget.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

shrty,

it turned out lovely, you did a wonderful heartfelt tribue and yes, it's true, and we tend to forget it.

i love the blue van gogh and have a bought a bunch of the colorfusion tile in assorted colors , glittery and metallic and not. love all that from maryland mosaics.

I'm sure you will look at this box often and think about Jason and the little things

• texaswild
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL, as all your boxes. Neat work too.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I love all your boxes, and this is very special.