Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to color grout? Can I use any paint?

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:17

I basically always use white grout. I'd like to experiment with colored grout. Can I use any paint to make colored grout or do I have to use a certain kind? (I have lots of craft paint lying around that I can use)

I assume that once I color grout and like the look of it, the color on my project will look pretty much the same, but dryer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to color grout? Can I use any paint?

you can use regular acrylic paints. It is hard to get a really deep shade, it depens on what you are wanting. Sometimes starting with a a grey grout darkens the color. I start by squirting the paint into my dry grout and mixing it in, then start adding water so I dont have my grout too runny. Dont use paint alone to mix the grout, but you can get a big old squirt in there and get started before you start adding water. I have also recently been using india ink to color grout. The black is never as black as I want and the india ink really darkens it. I know india ink comes in colors also and that might be good to try, it doesnt take a whole lot of the ink.
If your color is too light after your grout dries you can do a wash with watered down paint on the grout to darken it. Make sure you thin the paint with water so it soaks into the grout.
You can also buy dry grout colorants to color grout. They are economical, go a long way, and come in lots of colors.
ALso, If used outside your "painted" grout may fade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here