Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyronnie

Next Exchange Is In The Works!

ladyronnie
15 years ago

That's right! And it's going to be completely different! This one is to be a...........are you ready???.........

TESSARAE EXCHANGE!!!

That's right, NO WORK, tessarae only! I'm organizing this one, and will give details shortly, but if you are interested, go ahead and respond to this thread! Yee-haaaaaaaawwwwwww!!!!

:)

Roni

Comments (27)

• rchovey
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm in!

Thanks for organizing this.

Ramona

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

YEA!! I LOVe this one Lady, put me in

mermaid

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Count me in

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

I'm looking forward to it.
    Count me in too!

• crystal01
    15 years ago

Count me in.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

I'm in...already looking forward to it.
    Carol

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

What exactly is tessarae? i would like to be in.
    bonnie

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

I'm in too,

becky_ia

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Bonnie..the definition is:

A tessera (plural: tesserae, diminutive tessella) is an individual tile in a mosaic, usually formed in the shape of a cube.

Generally it's anything you can stick on your mosaic piece

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

This is too funny cuz I just sent a care pkg to Slow...long overdue too! But hey count me in too!!!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Me, too! I love these exchanges!

Pat

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Startin' to come together! I plan to go to the USPO in the next couple of days and pick up a "any weight, all one price" shipping box. Then I'll take a pic of it and post here, with dimensions, so we're all shipping basically the same amount, to keep it fair.

One rule I have thought of, unless there is a lot of dissension, is that if you send dishes, they should be nipped already, at least into smaller pieces so they take up less room. Stained glass can be in whatever size fits the box. Anything else goes: beads, marbles, rocks, jewelry, chain, polymer tiles, mirror...if you can use it for tessarae, it's an option! It'd be nice if different stuff is separated into zip-lock style bags.

There'll probably be just two check-in-by dates, since there's no project involved.

One rule: You have to have posted at least ONE project, at least a WIP, to participate.

I'm thinking of aiming for the end of August for a mail date. Is that too soon? Too late? Just right?

Any discussion? I'll retain the right to "make the rules" since I'm organizing it, but I'm open to suggestions if you think of something I haven't.

Stay tuned!

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

I'm in, end of aug or any time you choose is good for me.

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

sounds great to me, i love to surprise people, and i love surprises. can hardley wait.
    bonnie

• daisyme
    15 years ago

I wouldn't miss this one for the world. Yes, I'm in!

Daisyme

• barbfrizzell1955
    15 years ago

I'm in too!

• silvamae
    15 years ago

I posted once already, and it is not showing up. Anyway, count me IN!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for putting this together!

I have a question...are we going to tell you whether we do mosaic or stained glass (or both, of course) and then you'll organize us by who can use which tesserae? I would have no glass to send a stained glass-only person, for instance, and wouldn't know who's who when I get their name.

Any time is fine by me. But, if it's the end of August I don't have to wait too long! That'd be great, as I'm such a kid about waiting. I know you saw me whining last time. (grin)

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DAISY: I guess the fact that it is a TESSARAE exchange implies that it is for those who do or want to do MOSAICS, regardless of their preferred media. I've thought about sending out a survey, but I think it will be good for us to get whatever comes our way, might stretch some of us to try something we've never considered. So to keep it simple, if you decide to join the exchange, you imply that just because you "only" work in, say, stained glass, if you get a box full of broken china, you are willing to give it a go. Maybe the NEXT exchange will be a project in which you use at least some of what you got in this one :)

Maybe at some point someone needs to organize a STAINED GLASS project exchange, the lead and came kind. For me, I only know those terms are used, don't know the first thing about "doing" stained glass! But I do love sg for mosaics!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response! I didn't even know that the word tessarae only applied to mosaic pieces. And I didn't know I could use stained glass for mosaics, although I've no doubt seen it here but didn't realize what I was seeing. I have so much to learn, and what a great school this is to learn in! And, you're right, of course. I'd find a way to use anything that came my way. I'm really looking forward to this. It will be GREAT fun to open a box of tessarae!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Me too!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I know I'm gonna sound cheap...but I'm thinking..lets not go too overboard with how much we send, as to ship to US is exspensive if it's too heavy...and I wouldn't want anybody to feel chintzed out by what they get from me. Is that okay?

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Hmmmmmm. You are Canadian, aren't you? In the US we have three different size boxes we can mail with any weight for about $10.00-$15.00. You have a point. Maybe they could group the Canadians and the US citizens separately? Maybe limit weight so we all can exchange together? Other ideas?

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I almost missed this thread!
    Count me in.
    I'm too new to know who is who, and where they are.
    Are there enough of us from Canada so that this will work for them if we separate the exchange?
    If not, I have no problem mailing to Canada.
    Wish I could hand deliver! Eh!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, THIS IS THE FIRST OFFICIAL STATEMENT OF THE
    RULES OF THE TESSARAE EXCHANGE,
    CALL DATE FOR CHECK-IN, ETC.

1. This exchange is for tessarae only, no substrate.

2. Tessarae means anything you can adhere in a mosaic: china/dishes, stained glass, beads, marbles, rocks, jewelry, chain, polymer tiles, mirror, doo-dads, etc.

3. China/dishes should be nipped into pieces. You decide how small is small enough. If it's a focal it might be several inches across, so I'm not going to say it has to "x inches or less." If it's half a cup it will still be three dimensional as well.

4. Stained glass can be left in whatever size you want that will fit your package. If you have it cut up smaller, great!

5. US-based exchangers: Use a flat rate box, either size for $9.80; one is deeper, one is wider. For the USCanada issue, see below.

6. MAIL DATE WILL BE BETWEEN August 27 and August 29, 2008. Please DO NOT participate if you cannot mail during that period. If you want to participate and know you will not be able to mail during that period, make arrangements with someone else to mail your package for you. In fact, we should probably ALL have our package ready to mail sooner, and a contingency plan in place to get it mailed at the right time, just in case. There was too much angst this last exchange not knowing if packages were mailed, had arrived intact or at all, etc. Let's avoid that this exchange to the best of our ability.

(I know we could move this exchange up, but I don't mind giving more people a chance to join, AND I just don't want to be too tight on the heels of the last exchange. Plus, it lets the excitement build! ;)

7. First required check-in will be August 5, and second will be August 20. I'll draw names and let you know who your sendee is by August 24. (I will be out of town July 31 to August 4, and August 21.)

8. You have to have posted at least one project, at least a WIP, to participate.

9. The organizer (that'd be me ;) reserves the right to add rules as deemed appropriate, and after any necessary discussion which might arise.

'K?

Now, re: US/Canada, options:

1) "I don't mind a bit having to ship across the border, put me in a general drawing."

2) "I want a strictly USUS and CanadaCanada exchange."

In this case, I'll keep the folks in each country separate so no one has to ship across the border. Of course, for this to work, there has to be at least two Canadians who will ship to each other.

3) A combination of the above. There would be three drawings: one for those who don't care if they ship in or out of the country, one for those who want to ship only US to US, and one for those who want to ship only Canada to Canada. And honestly, I don't mind doing this.

SO: EMAIL or PM me, let me know if you want option #1 or #2, and your combined response may direct us to do #3. By email or pm, we can still keep it secret who is giving to whom. I'll let you know how it turns out, but not who says what.

Now, go rest your eyes then come back and shoot off that response to me :)

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

I have been on this website now for three or four weeks...almost non-stop. My husband said I am going to be "stuck" to my seat soon if I didn't move off occasionally. Everyone here is soooooo creative and amazing. I would like to participate....so now I have to post a picture of a work. Where should I post it...here? I made a plinth two years ago just from my head. (while my husband played golf)it turned out to be the four seasons and I am pretty happy with it. Now I have done two bowling balls and am thinking about a "totem"...think I'm hooked. Tell me where to post my image and then include me in on the exchange. I will be out in the boonies...scouting for good stuff to send out. :)

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Gardencrone: WELCOME we would love to see your pics .start a new post- go to post a message--- for your work pics and go to summer tess exchange.....theis was last years exchange.....

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator