Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Bro's Pedestal

texaswild
16 years ago

This could use a final vinegar cleanup but I gotta go mow the lawn so here's the finished flue tile. W/deliver in a few days and pick up the other one and hope to do a better job on design. One of the big glass globs I put glitter glue on the back of fell out and I'll stick it in w/Silicon sometime today. Won't be using glitter glue.

Jim's Pedestal

Comments (30)

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

I love it! What's a flue tile?

• bevinpa
    16 years ago

Slo where do you get those tiles. That is going to be beautiful. Bevinpa

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Really pretty slow, love the design and the shape of those flue tiles. That's going to be an awesome pedestal!

Hazie

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

FANTASTIC! I love the colors and the flow of the design! totally Slow style!

hey guys, Flue as in Chimney flue, these tiles are the liners for chimneys so they are to be had at masonry supply companys, or hardware/home improvement stores

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

It IS SLOW design for sure! Cool!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Oh Oh Oh!!! Looks Great!!! AND you just gave me an idea for a flue I have sitting around here! I'm not going to try and glue the one I broke, it'll have to be used as is, but probably still be mosaiced, but I do have one the same size as yours that I think I'll do an ocean theme on as I am now inspired by this and the ocean theme GOG by Balje. The deer have come in and decimated my yard!!! So it's hard to be working out there right now! But I did have fun letting my two mutts loose to chase the deer this morning! 9lbs and 6 lbs of ferociousness bounding after the deer! And The Pink dog(6lbs) in the lead!!! Too Funny! Hey Slow, what color is your dog!!!

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Slow-do you draw out a design before you start glueing? Your stuff always comes off so full of color and has so much movement. I would love to see your stash of tesserae!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Phew - yard done and now too tired to mosaic in the afternoon. This chimney liner is a very old one of my bro's. He has another one, and he'll use them to flank his entry as plant stands. They are double the height as the ones I used on my DD's tower - 13X13X24 inches. BEV - I got the new ones I used on DD's at a brick company locally. They are terra cotta and almost an inch thick - VERY HEAVY. CALAM: My D DAWG Toby is variegated - black/grey - in Doxie world - marbled or mottled. SUNSHINE: Only thing I drew on this was the swirls for the mirror tiles, and a couple diamond shapes, but left those diamond shapes for a more go crazy design. Actually - there's no design. My main theme was the mirror over the large central colored diamond shapes. That's about the only thing I'm happy with on this one. Haven't a clue how I'll do the other one. Thank y'all for the comments.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Correction - drew the large, central diamond, as well as the swirls.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Anothe beauty!And all Slow sure wish I could wing it like you do...Annie

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Another WONDERFUL project Slow. I agree with Nice, I love the colors and flow to your design. It's good to see you posting a finished project.

Barb

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy dawg snot and shoot a monkey!!
    Slow..I started on my pedestal last night, and after seeing yours, I just wanna throw it away! You have such a talent for "winging it".
    I just started glueing (thinset) glass and blobs everywhere and it looks like CRAP. I need a SLOW course on design.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Excuuuuuuuuuuse me, BAMA - as I told another fabulous mosaicist today via email, you don't DO CRA_! Thank y'all for the great cheering. Makes me feel like it isn't so bad. I think my bro w/like it better than the original ugly. Now, I'm open for ideas on what to do w/the second one. I'd like to continue the swirls but can't stand to do repeats of anything - too boring, - couldn't if I tried, so any helps/suggestions on how to treat the second one w/be much appreciated.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Vertical bands of color. With a bottom and top horizontal border of cobalt blue and gold. Thats what I'm seeing. Some bands with wavy edges, a band of globs, mirror, etc
    Kinda circus-tenty.
    Yes, I had a vision...now I must go rest.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

ATTENTION: There were no actual monkeys shot during the posting on this forum!!! Thank You and now back to you regular postings....

• klinger
    16 years ago

Love this pedestal, Slow.It's just beautiful, and I love the colors and design, lucky bro.
    Cindy

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Another beautiful SLOW original. You're our swirly girl! It's just beautiful.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well thanks again, y'all. BAMA - this is uncanny, absolutely weird. I was already thinking of bands of color, or some scallops - vertical, horizontal - how many scalloped bands???? Just couldn't get it together and hadn't thought of the colors. This is unreal. A circus tent it shall be. Many thanks for confirming my sorta beginnings of an idea. I believe it was Laurel True who did the little circus tent on HGTV, and I've wanted to copy that concept ever since I saw it. As Bill Engval says "here's the sign". Delivering this tomorrow and w/come back Tuesday w/the other one. It's gonna be hard to stay three days - my usual time - cuz I'm so anxious to run w/it now. BAMA - we'd make a great mosaicing team. Wish you lived close by.

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

That is soooo beautiful! I wish I could mosaic like that! I just can't seem to wrap my brain around the abstract style, everything has to have a pattern for me. I love the way you can use so many different shapes and sizes and nuggets and have it turn out so beautiful! I don't think it's something I can learn, I think either you "got it or you don't" and I don't "got it"!hehe. I LOVE your stuff!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

She lives close enough to come to the Slow & Rosie Mosaic Convention next spring!!!! heh heh!! Guess we'll have to nail down an official date for this Extravaganza....

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Still catching up... Beautiful Slow! Just love your patterns

Maria

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, y'all. I'm back from delivering the pedestal. He loved it, and is looking forward to receiving the next one. I brought it back, along w/a giant concrete rooster he plans to put on top of this one. He raises fighting cocks, and this rooster, hopefully, w/resemble the prettiest one I could find in many that he has. Pics w/follow of the concrete giant as soon as my HM comes to help me unload it. I stopped in West Monroe at HobLob on my way home yesterday and bought another $117. worth of glass to fill in colors I didn't have for the rooster. HATE buying glass not on sale.

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

Just beautiful Slow. Can't wait to see what you do to the next one. Mmmm, bet you got some beautiful colours for the rooster.

Cindy

• lilym
    16 years ago

I found a small glass place in McKinney last week. I bought some scrap glass, some of it is really neat and will be fun to do something with. I thought cock fighting was illegal.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is, LIL, in every other state. LA is the last state to outlaw it, but it hasn't been finalized yet. There's a lawyer in ____ that's trying to get an injunction on stopping the law they've passed but doesn't go into effect until ???.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Ohhh, do we get pics to look/drool over?!! Here is a pair that's waiting to be mosaiced, maybe You'll inspire me to do them!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HM hasn't come/called to say when he'll help me unload it, so had to practically stand on my head to get this picture of the rooster - still in the Jeep. It was sitting in putrified water in a birdbath so needs a thorough cleanup but here it is - stands 33" tall.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Can't wait to see the "Slowmedown" treatment on that one!!

Maria

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Boy, that is one BIG chicken.

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Slow
    I cannot wait to see how you do that rooster. With all the texture on it, it would drive me crazy.

On the pedestal...I love that! The bright green glass is very eye catching! May have to find some of that color to play with.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery