Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT , the plate hearts next life

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 10:00

Remember the hearts I cut out of the plates and sent to TMG? Here's the 1st bracelet!

very hard to photograph with the luster of the gold, the beads look purple in the pics but they are cobalt and match the print very well.

I'm toying with painting little inspiration words on the backs... love, dream, dance... if I can come up with a way to do it real tiny... we'll see.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT , the plate hearts next life

good job I cant believe those used to be plates

o
RE: OT , the plate hearts next life 1

Hi shelly, yep yep... heres the thread from when I cut them out

Here is a link that might be useful: plate hearts

o

OH Man!!! Spectacular!!! I'm so glad you posted this!! Have you given your DD hers yet???

o
RE: OT , the plate hearts next life 2

9 yr old DD tried it on this morning and it looked great. But both DD's have a propensity for ruining jewelry so these will be stored as keepsakes until special occasions. Course Mama will be wearing hers to a party next week! (I've planned my outfit around it!) lol

o

Get otta town!!
That is so great. I wondered what you were going to do with those hearts.
Have you been making jewelry very long?

o

That is absolutely spectacular, NT!!!! Bet the girls will be thrilled to have them as they grow older. That is a true heirloom bit of jewelry you've made!

Pat

o
RE: OT , the plate hearts next life 3

Bama, nope never done it before. It's coming out nice but frustrating handling teeny rings and bails with teeny needle nose pliers. I think my eyes aren't up to the task, I guess a magnifing lense would be helpful for this.

o

NT, your bracelet is beautiful! I LOVE bracelets and have since I was a child. I would be proud to wear this! Enjoy wearing yours;I'm sure you'll get loads of compliments.

o

well, all 3 are done! somebody stop me from ordering necklace chain...

o

Beautiful Nice and what a tresure for your DD..I'm waiting on my Taurus to try something like this....have plates saved tho.Where did you find the cobalt bead?They are lovely!Annie

o
RE: OT , the plate hearts next life 4

Annie, got all the findings, chains and beads at Firemountaingems

Here is a link that might be useful: for all your jewelry needs

o

Those are beautiful. A lovely keepsake for your DDs. Again, showing you have great patience!!

Nice job

Maria

o

Real treasures for those little girls. Wonderful idea. Like the idea of painting on the inspirational messages. Another job well done.

o

NT I want to learn to make those heart charms!! I am totally clueless how to go about it.......what tools and supplies do I need?? I want to make silver china charms for my spoon bracelets :) Thanks for sharing this......I missed this post in the past!

o

Kween, I only cut them out. Toomuchglass foiled and soldered them and had them gold plated for me.

I am taking a stained glass class in 2 weeks with the main reason to learn foiling and soldering for the purpose of doing jewelry too. The girl said she could teach me everything I need to know in about 3-4 hours, so it's just one day.

o

When you do this, does it have to be plated? Can you just finish it like you would a foiled stained glass piece? I am tempted to try it too! These are really beautiful! Jennie

o

HELP!!! I want info on the glueing the pattern to the glass/plate part, How much glue and the dvd says to do it on top of pattern too??? I'm so glad this came back up as a topic!!!

o
RE: OT , the plate hearts next life 5

Calam, I just used regular elmers glue and it does soften with the water from the saw so I can see why they suggest a layer on top. I coat the whole piece just enough to stick.

DJ, plated if you used lead or use nonlead solder and you won't have to plate. The concern is wearing lead against you skin

o

Oooooo...How BEAUTIfUL!! I'm really in to bracelets and this one is just so pretty! I'd love to see some matching earrings...

o

OOoo........ they turned out beautiful !!! I know what you mean about all those teeny tiny things ~ LOL - I've finally started wearing those "cheater glasses" from Walgreens right over my regular glasses ! -- So yes -- I walk around with 2 pairs of glasses on ....... LOL

o

VERY pretty, and I don't think it's off topic at all. Why is it ok to post an ornament made from glass, but a bracelet (another dangly beautiful thing made from glass and metal) is off topic? Seems related to me!

I know they make a Sharpie pen with a fine tip. I think that would work to put the words on the back. Maybe they even come in colors so you could do it in blue, or silver...

o

Ronnie, I actually ended up finding a porceilan paint pen in blue and did add words to all of them.

o

NT, I love those bracelets. How thick are your pieces?

TMG, did you foil, then solder, then plate? Can any jeweler plate for you or how do you find someone to do the plating? Curious minds want to know.

o

I'm guessing 1/4 inch thick

o

I can't belive I missed this the first time around!
TMG, and Nice......that is just adorable!
Just too cool you guys!

I use rubber cement on top of my patterns when I use the saw. I use a glue stick for the pattern. I works really well.

I'm glad this was brought back up!

Hazie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here