Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

OT , the plate hearts next life

nicethyme
16 years ago

Remember the hearts I cut out of the plates and sent to TMG? Here's the 1st bracelet!

very hard to photograph with the luster of the gold, the beads look purple in the pics but they are cobalt and match the print very well.

I'm toying with painting little inspiration words on the backs... love, dream, dance... if I can come up with a way to do it real tiny... we'll see.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (25)

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

good job I cant believe those used to be plates

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi shelly, yep yep... heres the thread from when I cut them out

Here is a link that might be useful: plate hearts

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

OH Man!!! Spectacular!!! I'm so glad you posted this!! Have you given your DD hers yet???

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

9 yr old DD tried it on this morning and it looked great. But both DD's have a propensity for ruining jewelry so these will be stored as keepsakes until special occasions. Course Mama will be wearing hers to a party next week! (I've planned my outfit around it!) lol

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Get otta town!!
    That is so great. I wondered what you were going to do with those hearts.
    Have you been making jewelry very long?

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

That is absolutely spectacular, NT!!!! Bet the girls will be thrilled to have them as they grow older. That is a true heirloom bit of jewelry you've made!

Pat

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bama, nope never done it before. It's coming out nice but frustrating handling teeny rings and bails with teeny needle nose pliers. I think my eyes aren't up to the task, I guess a magnifing lense would be helpful for this.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, your bracelet is beautiful! I LOVE bracelets and have since I was a child. I would be proud to wear this! Enjoy wearing yours;I'm sure you'll get loads of compliments.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well, all 3 are done! somebody stop me from ordering necklace chain...

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful Nice and what a tresure for your DD..I'm waiting on my Taurus to try something like this....have plates saved tho.Where did you find the cobalt bead?They are lovely!Annie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annie, got all the findings, chains and beads at Firemountaingems

Here is a link that might be useful: for all your jewelry needs

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful. A lovely keepsake for your DDs. Again, showing you have great patience!!

Nice job

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Real treasures for those little girls. Wonderful idea. Like the idea of painting on the inspirational messages. Another job well done.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

NT I want to learn to make those heart charms!! I am totally clueless how to go about it.......what tools and supplies do I need?? I want to make silver china charms for my spoon bracelets :) Thanks for sharing this......I missed this post in the past!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kween, I only cut them out. Toomuchglass foiled and soldered them and had them gold plated for me.

I am taking a stained glass class in 2 weeks with the main reason to learn foiling and soldering for the purpose of doing jewelry too. The girl said she could teach me everything I need to know in about 3-4 hours, so it's just one day.

• diamondjennie
    16 years ago

When you do this, does it have to be plated? Can you just finish it like you would a foiled stained glass piece? I am tempted to try it too! These are really beautiful! Jennie

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

HELP!!! I want info on the glueing the pattern to the glass/plate part, How much glue and the dvd says to do it on top of pattern too??? I'm so glad this came back up as a topic!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Calam, I just used regular elmers glue and it does soften with the water from the saw so I can see why they suggest a layer on top. I coat the whole piece just enough to stick.

DJ, plated if you used lead or use nonlead solder and you won't have to plate. The concern is wearing lead against you skin

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Oooooo...How BEAUTIfUL!! I'm really in to bracelets and this one is just so pretty! I'd love to see some matching earrings...

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

OOoo........ they turned out beautiful !!! I know what you mean about all those teeny tiny things ~ LOL - I've finally started wearing those "cheater glasses" from Walgreens right over my regular glasses ! -- So yes -- I walk around with 2 pairs of glasses on ....... LOL

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

VERY pretty, and I don't think it's off topic at all. Why is it ok to post an ornament made from glass, but a bracelet (another dangly beautiful thing made from glass and metal) is off topic? Seems related to me!

I know they make a Sharpie pen with a fine tip. I think that would work to put the words on the back. Maybe they even come in colors so you could do it in blue, or silver...

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ronnie, I actually ended up finding a porceilan paint pen in blue and did add words to all of them.

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, I love those bracelets. How thick are your pieces?

TMG, did you foil, then solder, then plate? Can any jeweler plate for you or how do you find someone to do the plating? Curious minds want to know.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm guessing 1/4 inch thick

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

I can't belive I missed this the first time around!
    TMG, and Nice......that is just adorable!
    Just too cool you guys!

I use rubber cement on top of my patterns when I use the saw. I use a glue stick for the pattern. I works really well.

I'm glad this was brought back up!

Hazie

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County