Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692457

help with outside mosaic project

User
15 years ago

Several years ago I did an indirect method mosaic of Astrias, the god of wind to cover my potting bench cement pad. My problem was using newsprint-weight paper as the backing. When I tried to flip it onto the thinset it tore in a lot of places, making placement uneven.

{{!gwi}}

I want to extend part of my cement patio and thought a mosaic strip would be a good compliment to my garden nearby.

What backing should I use that will hold up when I flip it over. Will I be able to draw a design on this material?

Comments (9)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OH MY WORD!!! That is sooooo beautiful! Haven't done an indirect method yet, but I think most people use contact paper. Think the contractor's paper - heavy craft paper w/work also. I use it a lot for making patterns. It's quite sturdy, so I think it w/work fine. Wonderful project. You did a beautiful job. Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on the extension.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, slow.

Wouldn't using contact paper pull the glass pieces from the thin-set when peeled away?

I thought I needed to use something that would allow water to dissove the glue that held the glass pieces to the base, no?

• shrty411
    15 years ago

I think if you wait until it has cures enough the glass won't pull away. I haven't done it though, so I'm not sure. the contract paper should work fine

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

when they show contact paper in use, its always noted that they don't pull it up but peel it sideways or low. I would go with Slows suggestion of the brown kraft/construction paper so that you can draw right on it. Thats very nice btw, love the design!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I agree with Slow that a brown type paper should be used.
    Useing a water soluble glue when you place the finished piece, you simply water sponge the paper, then peel off the paper.If the thinset is set, it won't pull the tiles.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I've only tried the indiredt method with a small project and I used contact paper. I was too impatient and peeled it off too quick and ended up with crooked tile!
    I think you've gotten some good advice about kraft paper and water soluble glue....you can learn a lot here... like, the god of wind's name is Astrias. :)
    It's a beautiful mosaic, btw.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Welcome to the group... .I have to agree with all about the brown craft paper and weldbond glue...Only I would not do it that way, I would be different and do the whole thing on the fiberglass mesh and then set it into thinset. I really like picking up the whole thing or pieces and setting it down, done...quick is for me.
    I have yet to do an indirect where you lay your tiles upside down, but I doubt if I could do it as I don't follow a pattern and my design changes as I go. I never know what I will do next..lol
    I love your design and think it is beautiful, if what you do next is half as nice it will be a knockout.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Hey Flag that is usually what I do, just start and let it happen. I get all flusterd when I try to design a pattern then mosaic it.
    I'm not sure I would use Weldbond tho, expensive, elmers will work if you are going to sponge it off.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your advice. I'm more of a planner than a design-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda gal. I need to have a pattern to work from before starting a project.

I've been reading all the posts and enjoying the pictures of your projects. Wow, lots of talent here.

Dianne

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz