Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with outside mosaic project

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 5:41

Several years ago I did an indirect method mosaic of Astrias, the god of wind to cover my potting bench cement pad. My problem was using newsprint-weight paper as the backing. When I tried to flip it onto the thinset it tore in a lot of places, making placement uneven.
Astrias mosaic 2005

I want to extend part of my cement patio and thought a mosaic strip would be a good compliment to my garden nearby.

What backing should I use that will hold up when I flip it over. Will I be able to draw a design on this material?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with outside mosaic project

OH MY WORD!!! That is sooooo beautiful! Haven't done an indirect method yet, but I think most people use contact paper. Think the contractor's paper - heavy craft paper w/work also. I use it a lot for making patterns. It's quite sturdy, so I think it w/work fine. Wonderful project. You did a beautiful job. Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on the extension.

o

Thanks, slow.

Wouldn't using contact paper pull the glass pieces from the thin-set when peeled away?

I thought I needed to use something that would allow water to dissove the glue that held the glass pieces to the base, no?

o

I think if you wait until it has cures enough the glass won't pull away. I haven't done it though, so I'm not sure. the contract paper should work fine

o

when they show contact paper in use, its always noted that they don't pull it up but peel it sideways or low. I would go with Slows suggestion of the brown kraft/construction paper so that you can draw right on it. Thats very nice btw, love the design!

o

I agree with Slow that a brown type paper should be used.
Useing a water soluble glue when you place the finished piece, you simply water sponge the paper, then peel off the paper.If the thinset is set, it won't pull the tiles.

o

I've only tried the indiredt method with a small project and I used contact paper. I was too impatient and peeled it off too quick and ended up with crooked tile!
I think you've gotten some good advice about kraft paper and water soluble glue....you can learn a lot here... like, the god of wind's name is Astrias. :)
It's a beautiful mosaic, btw.

o

Welcome to the group... .I have to agree with all about the brown craft paper and weldbond glue...Only I would not do it that way, I would be different and do the whole thing on the fiberglass mesh and then set it into thinset. I really like picking up the whole thing or pieces and setting it down, done...quick is for me.
I have yet to do an indirect where you lay your tiles upside down, but I doubt if I could do it as I don't follow a pattern and my design changes as I go. I never know what I will do next..lol
I love your design and think it is beautiful, if what you do next is half as nice it will be a knockout.

o

Hey Flag that is usually what I do, just start and let it happen. I get all flusterd when I try to design a pattern then mosaic it.
I'm not sure I would use Weldbond tho, expensive, elmers will work if you are going to sponge it off.

o

Thanks for all your advice. I'm more of a planner than a design-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda gal. I need to have a pattern to work from before starting a project.

I've been reading all the posts and enjoying the pictures of your projects. Wow, lots of talent here.

Dianne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here