Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Repair

Posted by tlowery04 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 0:59

When I used to live in flagstaff, I always passed this cafe with a large old storefront window, at some point the glass had broken, and the owner had soldered (like stained glass) it back together. I asked about it one day and they said that it happened during a winter storm back in the early thirties and the current owners grandfather did not have the money for a new window at the time, and by the time he did, it had grown on him. I really liked that window and having no knowledge of stained glass or soldering windows i figured this was the best place to ask if anyone had done it before, and it so, if they could tell me how it is done or direct me to a website explaining it. I find myself secretly wanting to break a window just to practice. =)

Thanks, and I apologize if this is the wrong place I'm new to iVillage forums

Trent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Repair

If you get into stained glass you will be addicted for life. Fair warning.

There is a soldering method and a leading method, Do you know which was used on your favorite repaired window?

You can buy books, attend classes, and find lots of sites on the internet.

Where are you located?

Welcome to the stained glass/mosaic forum. People are so friendly and helpful here.

o
RE: Window Repair

thank you!

I don't recall whither it was soldered or leaded. I actually didn't know there was more than one way to do it.

I am located in Cashion Oklahoma, There may actually be some classes around here i can take but i haven't looked into it extensively.

-Trent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here