Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klinger_gw

A few new things

klinger
12 years ago

I've not been posting lately, just been busy with other things in life. I have still been making some things though, and playing around with fused glass. Here's a few things,I made a glass on glass, it hangs in the yard from a large tree, the evening sun shines through it.

{{!gwi}}
Here is a mirror mosaic , it's cement around 2 inches thick and 16 across. I left the centre empty when I did my pour and inserted strips of stained glass so they would be imbedded in the cement mix. I let it cure and did a mirror mosaic on one side. on the other side before the concrete fully cured I carved a spiral . It has a concrete stand a solar spot light shining on it .

Comments (20)

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh you l'il heifer!!! Holding out on us. I LOVE both pieces, but this one w/the embedded glass really is ingenious. I didn't understand the technique until I saw the back. LOVE how you louvered them - leaving a hole to see through. The stand - WOW - how'd you do that? Didja use the lath technique or all carved? CALAM sold me on solar lighting. I can just imagine how pretty this is at night. BTW - love that pink chair in the background.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

ATTENTION!!!! These pics Do NOT do justice to how amazing this really is!!! Klinger: you Gotta post another pic: standing back further, showing the base it is sitting on so we can get a better prospective on how amazing this is!!!!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Love them both, such beautiful work.

Yes, please let us see it from farther back.

• klinger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Slow, the stand was carved, started as a bucket of cement.Here's a close up with our watch dog next lol.

I also got on a birdbath tangent. I made wooden stands using driftwood, and little cement birdbath basins and mosaiced the inside of them. Wonder if I should do all the outside of a couple of them too?

I also had a cement gal I'd made previously, I used to put a potted plant in her hollow head but decided to form another birdbath basin, this time using hardware cloth to have a hat like look for her.

A close up of her hat,

I must be birdbath crazy, I've got one in the studio made with hardware cloth I've started to mosaic. I'm off camping for a bit so don't know when I'll next work on it.
    Cindy

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

LooHoo, You gotta tell everyone how tall your wonderful girly is as she looks smaller in this pic...Great pics by the way! LOVE that last birdbath! Maybe I will get Squirrelly to make one with me this week!!! She also wants to try the wire mesh armature style too! Such a GREAT pic of puppy! He is looking like he has filled ut nicely...he was so skinny when you first got him.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

OHMYGOODNES. You've been sooooooo busy making things and not sharing. Sooooooooo happy to see these things. That girl w/the hat was the one I was talking about in my email to you. My question was - did you use the lath technique on her, or was she carved from a huge piece of concrete. I LOVE that. IMO - you should leave them as they are - mosaiced and concrete - I like that look, and am going to adopt it when I get to making a bowl for the pedestal sitting on my work table. Two questions, please: (1) When you pour a huge bucket of concrete for carving, do you put down inside lath, rebar or anything to support it? I want to try that sooooooooo bad, and hope to do so soon. (2) When you said you put fiber in your mix, what kind of fiber, and where do you get it? I think I've read that some artists use dryer lint? Please tell. Love your driftwood stands. Now THAT's creative. Cute doggie, and beautiful flowers!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    12 years ago

LOVE!!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

We gotta get Klinger to post pics of her other stuff...she is Very prolific and hasn't been posting enough pics!heh heh!(Ratting her out!lol!) She also has The Most AMAZING Kiln projects...Glass stuff!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Just found a couple pics...

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow, VERY creative! I love that you think outside the box to come up with things really interesting and unique. Thanks so much for posting pics! It's very inspiring!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Very nice, you have some great projects.

Lots of inspiring ideas. There's a glass fusing studio here and I've been thinking of taking a class. This gives me additional ideas of what you can do with the glass pieces.

• klinger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi , Slow, I don't use any reinforcement when doing a carving. It's solid and pretty strong. The fibres I use are from a cement specialty shop. I've not heard of dryer fluff , but have heard of cutting and unravelling pieces of nylon rope. The girl is made of lath and is about 3 feet tall.Rock, the fusing is fun and you can make a lot of neat stuff to use in mosaics. Can be costly and addictive though.
    Cindy

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

OMG!!! Everything is just beautiful! Love the bird baths... such inspiration! Thanks so much for posting... and yes, please post more!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Gonna Google for the fibers, KLINGER. I know I'm going to be making more leaf castings, and I want them to be strong. WOW - didn't realize the girl was that tall. Woooooohoooooo. You did a fabulous job of smoothing over the lath. Glad to see you're still using that technique.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Klinger, everything is incredible! Lovethe gog,itlooks quite large too. Fused glass is beautiful, great job on everything. The girl is lovely, bird bath hat is inspired!
    Kathy

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

hey Klinger! wow, you have been busy busy, your things are so creative.. I'm drooling (that gog was THE BOMB!)

I just saw a post on FB someone near me is hosting Elder Jones workshop and I couldn't resist. It should be worth it right?

• klinger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nicethyme, I bet you are going to love that course, I think it will be well worth it. Where are you going to take it? You'll learn a lot and have a ton of fun I bet.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

A mosaicer named Susan Turlington here in VA, several hours south of me is hosting him at her studio. I'm very excited as I'm in serious need of help when it comes to carving.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Found a little time this morn to delve into Elder Jones's website. How exciting and informative. He writes instructions beautifully. Makes me want to try this technique. KLINGER: Are you self-taught, or did you take a workshop? NT - bet you'll really enjoy the workshop, and it'll be soooooo interesting to see what you do w/your new knowledge.

• klinger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am self taught, and would love to take one of his classes, I think he's done this for so many years he'd be full of info.

Sponsored