Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisiana_greetings

crashing!

O.K., i jumped in on the crash glas, and i obviously didn't read up on it enough, cuz i tried it on a curved surface, and that's not working out so good! But i'm gonna finsh this project. i'm sure i should have tried this on a flat surface, it would've been much simpler.this is giving me a pain in the arsch.

bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: crash glass

Comments (17)

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Well, I think it's beautiful. Can you tell us what the concerns are on a curved surface? It would see that the pieces would lay right down, but it seems from what you say that that isn't happening? I'll be interested in reading responses from those that have doen this before.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

It's looking good! What don't you like about the curved surface....it would seem that the pieces are usually soooo small that it wouldn't matter, but maybe that's not the case? Do tell.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I think it looks great. This is something I've wanted to try. Love the way it makes a piece look. Kathy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

What is your problem, Girlie?! That looks terrific. Your pieces are nice and large. When you put it on a curve, just use your palm to smoosh the glass to form around the curve. Looks like you're doing a super job. This w/be really nice grouted in a dark color.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone, what is the problem??Because from what we can see, it looks fantastic!!! Please tell us , maybe it is a bear to work on that way??

Good job

• Louisiana_greetings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

the biggest problem is , it's taking forever, and that's not o. k with me :-) AND it is not smooth, i'm wondering if i can use a grinder or something to smooth the sharp edges?
    and i was thinking about using dark green or black grout, if i ever get it finished. i have a bunch of little holes to fill and i'm not even half finished.
    i usually sit on the floor with small projects, and last night i could'nt hardley get my skinny little butt up and movin, i sat there so long!
    bonnie

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

I think it looks good You do not have to fill every little whole .It gives it careter to leave whole .

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I am assuming your just frustrated at the time it takes to use crash glass. Honey, I feel ya! But the final piece will be worth it.
    When you crout the glass it will help with smoothing the edges and it will level it, which also helps with the edges.
    What are you using for adheisive?
    I think your doing an excellent job.

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

I did CG on a curved surface, a candle shelter, it nearly made me nuts too, it wasnt smooth, but grouting helped a lot, it looked awesome and so I didnt worry about it in the end.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

I think this piece is stunning! I love the colors. Question-is crash glass the same as auto glass? Where do you get it? This looks like something I'd like to try.

• Louisiana_greetings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

t-fern, i have been using silicon, then i tried tacky glue,hope it all doesn't come loose when i do finally grout(if that day ever arrives!)
    3-egglady, yes it is the side window from car, i have a friend that works with this and he brought me the whole window,i did what the girls here told me, paint one side with weldbond glue, put it in a bag or sheet or something and hit a corner of it, took me 3 hits to finally get it to crash. if you use the search for crash glass on this forum you will find some projects, and info.
    if for some reason that i try this again, it will be on a flat surface.
    thank ya'll for your sweet comments.
    bonnie

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

it really looks beautiful Lousiana! thanks for explaining about "crash glass" too, I was wondering what it was as well, (I thought maybe it was something you buy but it looked just like car window glass!) I have so much to learn :)

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

You're doing a beautiful job! When I did my safety glass project I didn't have big pieces to work with....they were all very small and had to be applied with tweezers! Now that took forever!

Be Safe, Rach

• Louisiana_greetings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i'm almost there, i just have to fill in the top and the bottom, THEN i can grout, what about black or maybe dark green grout, whatch all think?
    Rach, i don't think i would've finished if i had to do the itty bitty peices!
    bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: crash glass

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

That is just beautiful!!! I think the large sections were the perfect choice for the curves. I've tried crash glass both ways, and the large pieces are really the way to go.
    You did a lovely job!!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

it is wonderful! I know you're concerned about the potential sharpness....the way I handle it is to grout, then go over the entire surface with a sanding sponge (real thin one) from HD. 150 grit I think it is....my back is acting up too much to do the stairs into the garage tonight. Been out in the heat (105* air temp) all day for work, and that really took the 'starch' out of me! I sometimes have to go over it a couple of times, but just hold the sanding sponge flat (in the palm of your hand) against the crash glass and rub it around and around and around till you've gone over the whole thing thoroughly. Then run your hand over it and individually sand any sections that feel too sharp.

HTH,
    Pat

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

WOW!....CURBDIVER!........never imagined someone would do that with crash glass! holy crap!!! I just take that one
    as a dont touch! You are amazing! I tumble and grind...
    but that just blows me away!!!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert