Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's the best glue for this project

Posted by wishdish (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 23:32

I'm helping with a VBS project at my church - the 4th & 5th grade girls will be making mosaic crosses. I use Weldbond when making mine, but do you think Elmer's glue would be good? Or are there other craft glues that are okay too? I do like Weldbond because it's kinda thick and I worry that Elmer's might be too runny and get kinda messy. But it is cheap and readily available. We are gluing vitreous tiles onto mdf crosses. We'll glue one day then grout the next. I know Weldbond would be secure by the next day. What about Elmer's or other glues? Would 24 hours be enough? I'd hate to have tiles popping while the girls grout. I'm sure that would cause tears! Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's the best glue for this project

Yes, WISHDISH, you can use Elmer's or any white glue for interior projects. Aleen's Tacky Glue is another good one. Nice to see you - it's been a long time since you posted.

o

thanks SLOW. so do you think the Elmer's will be really good and dry by the next day? I'm going to try to mix the grout pretty dry for them, but if they use more water than they should when they wipe it off, do you think the Elmer's might fail? of course, hopefully they'll follow instructions, but they are kids. And there may be as many as 65 of them. Yikes! I am planning to bring a tube of liquid nails for any emergencies pop-offs!!

o

I've used several white glues, and never had a problem when grouting - wet or dry. Kids tend to use too much glue, though, so watch the amount for an over night drying - can't guarantee that, but you'll just have to play it out. Smart thinking on the emergency - LN or GE II. I use GE II in the event of a bead or pearl coming off during grouting.

o

i met with the vbs director today and she said the church has gallons of Aleen's Tacky Glue? Have you used that? I did get some little brushes, cheap ones that won't hold much glue and I'm going to let the girls use them, because they'll help to keep the girls from putting on too much glue -- i hope!!

o

As I said in my first response, I've used Allen's Tacky many times, and LOVE it for inside projects. Be sure and warn the students, though, that none of the water-based glues w/hold up if they put them outside. Giving them brushes is a great idea for spreading the glue. Good luck on your project.

o

ah i hadn't caught that you mentioned using tacky glue. that's what we'll go with. i'm ordering tiles tomorrow. i'm excited. i think the girls are gonna have a great time. thanks for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here