Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
to grind or not to grind..

Posted by Bon22 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 23:06

I am cutting the glass strips for my backsplash. Should I grind the edges? or just thinset and grout them to the wall...
when making my mosaics, I have always used the grinder on the corners.

Suggestions? thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: to grind or not to grind..

I am only happy with my projects if the edges are smooth but I think I am in the minority. With a backsplash, I definitely would do something about the edges, either quickly grind, or run a sharpening stone down each edge. You will be cleaning the backsplash and you don't want sharp edges. I know grouting is supposed to solve this but it never quite takes care of all the edges for me, just most of them.

o

I say definetly grind!!!!

o

I am thinking I should.. just realizing that 21 running feet....well, hopefully it'll go fast!
Here is what I'm doing for the backsplash.

o

Not I - no way w/I spend all that time grinding. All that flat glass is not gonna stab you after it's grouted. Nice colors.

o

Thanks all... counter tops just installed today! Super excited!! and I am anxious to start the backsplash. The thought of grinding is getting fainter... lol

o

I still don't own a grinder so my answer is obviously,,, no thanks,,, if art became more tedious I'd probably give it up

o

NOT grinding!! lol

Here is the one section, it's up!! I will grout the whole kitchen at the same time..but it's up :)

o

PS.. I'm thinking a charcoal/grey grout.. (not white). any thoughts??

o

It looks fabulous! I vote for charcoal for a grout.

o

Ditto what SILVA said. Looks great.

o

Very pretty! Can't wait to see it when it is done.

o

Looks great! Please post finished pics, anxious to see it all done.

o

charcoal grout!! looks fantastic!

o

That is gorgeous!

o

Oh man that looks great. I want to do a backspash but no money for tiles. I do however have tons of SG. May I ask you what you used to adhere them to the wall? So great looking....and I love your choice of grout color!
Thanks, Jo

o

Very pretty! Do you have a picture of your whole kitchen? I'd love to see the other elements. The charcoal grout looks great!

o

iowajo.. thanks!! I used thinset (white), they have one for glass. and then I used unsanded grout.

I will post final pics next week :)

o

Thanks....can't wait for final pics!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here