Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fldirt_gw

stained glass stepping stones

fldirt
13 years ago

Here are some of my stepping stones that I do. I have done more but didn't take pictures. Bummer! They make nice gifts & donations. I make one each year as a raffle prize for my garden club. Now I know how to post!

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Comments (12)

• texaswild
    13 years ago

BEAUTIFUL, FLDIRT. So neat, clean and happy. I'm assuming you use a mold and use the indirect method of mosaicing? They look so neat. What mortar do you use?

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

You did a great job on those - the glass edges are so crisp and the concrete so smooth. Very nice!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I LOVE these!!! And the stained glass totem..gotta make one...or more...of those!! Love the butterfly and hummer!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Beautiful!
    Kathy

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

Very pretty !!!

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

are those the kind you set them on contact paper with the good side down, then fill with the cement?
    I suppose I could go find the method for this type of steps and it's surely a beautiful finished stepping stone.

you must do all of that cutting too, yes?

very, very nice

Becky ;(*_*);

• fldirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slowmedown, I use Sakrete sand mix which leaves a fairly smooth finish. I do add polymer fiber for strength & a toner.
    Becky, Yes I cut the glass & apply to contact paper then coat my mold with vaseline before putting the contact paper into the mold.
    Thanks for positive feed back.
    Sandi

• lorigirl44
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip on Sakrete. I had never heard of that before. Picked up a few bags and will try that this week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sakrete Concrete

• fldirt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great, let me know how you like it. I use the sand mix as it is a lot smoother than the others.

• realrose
    13 years ago

Very pretty. My next "new" thing I learn will be those indirect stepping stones, love 'em.

• loribee2
    13 years ago

I absolutely love these. I'm now aching to try one!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Beautiful work. I do mosaic crosses. The first 2-3 came out very smooth, as yours appears to be. Thought I was doing everything the same and for what ever reason can't seem to make them come out so smooth anymore. I seem to have lots of cement "leaking" between the contact paper and I have LOTS of clean-up sometimes I can hardly tell where my glass is and after I scrape away the excess I have very rough surface. And air bubbles are a night mare. It doesn't matter if I bounce them a little or a lot I still have air bubbles. Any helpful tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I see lots of smooth mosaic pieces at craft shows but don't feel right about asking the vendor as they are there to sell not to help someone learn how to do their own!

Sponsored