Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

mirror WIP

nicethyme
15 years ago

found a plain frame at the dumpster at my kids' school and have finally decided what to do with it.

I'm building a box frame around it and glued up a piece to make a topper

here's my tesserae decisions

and this is what I have done... I'm still considering doors

Comments (83)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slow, no way this can even compare to Laurel's mirrors... her work is amazing! but Thank you! and thankyou all for the compliments

I'm ready for grout

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, yes it DOES compare, little lady. This, too, is an amazing work. I'm thinking this is my favorite of yours. Absolutely spectacular. How w/you treat the frame, and have you decided what color you'll dry-brush on the doors. I assume that'll be the color of the frame??? Now you got me wanting to do one of these. Need to get my quilting books out, I suppose, for patterns. What an artist you are. You get better w/each piece. I think I said that several pieces back. I LOVE this.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Over The Top BEAUTIFUL!!!! GREAT Job on the doors...can't wait to see this puppy grouted!!! You are Amazing!!! Way to go! Jane

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you are so sweet! when are you gonna adopt me? LOL

I'm grouting in black which I knew when I was making it, counting on the grout to darken things and tie it all together. I'feeling right now like the frame will either go black or midnigfht blue and get accented with peacock colors??? maybe LOL

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Janey! so what did you do to yourself with the jigsaw?

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Awesome mirror! Slow's right, you just keep getting better and better! You always have some new and interesting ideas to share, LOVE how you did the doors!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Examined it again. I'm loving this piece so much. Curious about the orange things at the bottom of the doors? I assume they're to cover the hardware of the door pulls. What DID you use for pulls? Beautiful work, little girl.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Oh my oh my oh my.. another beautiful piece from NT. I LOVE THIS one, I think it will be my favorite, well, i;m partial to the mermaid mirror. LOL Just been devouring Laurie Mika's book I bought after you all inspired me. almost ready to try something small like stamping clay LOL
    I screwed up and ordered 2 copies of her book so now I either have to send back to amazon or see if anyone here interested??
    NT, I am just amazed at your creativity Keep the ideas coming so we can all study them. YOu go girl!! And you do plan on keeping this one don't you??

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nope Mermaid, this one is being created for a fundraiser auction for the local daycare.

Slow, yes that is to cover the screws for the knobs. They are gems in clay.

For knobs, I cheaped out and went with wood pulls... but I'm doctering them... lol

• texasfern
    15 years ago

WOW! That is all I can come up with, is WOW!
    So much here to inspire, color, texture, design, to say nothing of your jigsaw skills!
    Absolutely wonderful! Not too many artists of your caliber are willing to share as you do.
    And all for charity, you go girl.
    Mermaid, I might be interested in that book!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Texasfern,

email me at ltparkin@cfl.rr.com about Laurie's book

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

WoW, great piece of art, love it.
    bonnie

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

NT

did you make a bunch of those tiles yourself??? Munching popcorn here until next fix LOL

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

Wow wow wow,amazing,sure wish I could go to some of your fundraisers,such talent oh my gosh!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL thanks!

here is grout finished and first color of paint

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Well, NT - I'm pretty speechless here. You must be pretty proud of this piece of junk from the junkpile! I've gotta say that I like this even better than any Laurel has made. She uses very expensive stuff, and you've done this on a strict budget. I have no words in my vocab to describe my admiration for this piece. This w/bring lots of money. Doncha sorta wish you could keep it? I know when I sell something, I always think I can make myself another one, but never do, cuz I don't like making two of the same thing. This IS your best piece. Are there any juried art shows in your area. You need to start entering those, because your talent cries for recognition in wide areas. You're multi-talented, and you need to be marketing your work for pay, but first, you need some awards. This w/win in a heartbeat. PLEASE seek some art shows and enter.

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Da-haaannggg!
    No, really!! DA-HAAANNGGGGGG!!!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I'll up that double da-haaannnggg to a triple WOW oh WOW oh WOW!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, my! OH MY GOSH! I can't believe what a BEAUTIFUL project! It is extraordinary. I've been traveling so I didn't see it past the first days when you had the original frame to show us. It is absolutely wonderful, beautiful and fantastic. You are surely an ARTIST! WOW. Great work!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

How is it this just gets better and better!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

awe... thank you all for your compliments! I'm so happy to be a part of this group - you make my day!

Slow, yes I admit this one is seriously hard to give away. But I know that it will make more for the daycare than I could ever give them in cash. Yeah, I think I'll have to do something along these lines for myself - just not as big! I did some of these blocks of patterns on my DD's door and really liked them then - its surprising its taken me so long to get back to using them in grander scale! lol

Still more painting to finish and some beading... it leaves tomorrow night

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Anxious to see the finale. You are such an asset to your community. What a big heart you have. So, do you know what your next project w/be? I love watching the Master at work.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

and what a finale it was... I just got back from dropping it off. I think you gals are right, this is/was my best work - I am very proud to have made that. So here's to hoping Hey Diddle does very well at auction in Nov.

heres a million pics - I'll do thumbnails so it doesn't take so long to load.

Thank you to all of you for supporting and cheering me along - you're all a huge inspiration! (and don't anyone be fooled - Slow is the master!!!!) LOL

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

So much action there i had to look at it about 40 times to catch it all, and i'm truely impressed, everything just fits together so great. I would have a very hard time letting that go!
    bonnie

• crystal01
    15 years ago

You truly outdid yourself this time! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

WEll, I triple DANNNGGGG and raise you a dang...and throw in a dang dong dandy! This is outstanding.......it is so fun to look at...lots of work and intersting detail......I agree, this is one of your finest..until the next project!!!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Boy... did you ever go over the top on this one!
    Just love the way the black grout made the piece
    pop! Beautiful work, hope it get hundreds!!

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

I'm speechless!! Totally speechless. Beautiful, Impressive, magnificent....oh the heck with it...it's a

WOOZER, WOOZER, WOOWOO piece!!

Be Safe, Rach

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting all the closeups, get to really see it all and admire it and drool and gaze and dream and try to figure out how to tap in to your HUGE pool of creativity!!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Well little girl - never in a hundred years could I produce anything so neat, creative and all those other words you know I don't have. Quit that pooh about my talents. YOU, little girl, are the master. This looks like something right out of the Middle East. This is the prettiest thing I've ever seen out of all the mosaics I see on the net. LOVES - this w/bring thousands - not hundreds. I expect this w/bring more than the table, NT. That is the neatest grouting I've seen. Your close ups show just how professional your work is. Will you REALLY make yourself one comparable? I know you won't copy this, but you really should make yourself something as spectacular. I can't say enough about this piece. It's beyond my descriptability.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

There is so many wonderful "sections" on this and I LOVE them ALL!!! And your name on it! YES! I was interested in what you were gonna do with the outside door edges and the paint job is perfect and the feathers...you know I'm partial to anything peacock! Thank you so much for the whole thread for this, all the pics are so great! Especially these last ones...up close! As soon as I heal up, I'm tackling the jigsaw again and this time I won't be such a stunned bunny!lol! You are truly inspiring!!! Jane

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Hey, I had to come back and look again, and discovered beads hanging in the chicken wire! WONDERFUL. When is the auction?

• tasymo
    15 years ago

Nicethyme, once again you have blown me away!! Incredible work my Friend. I keep hearing it being compared to Laurel Skye's work- but truly, I see a huge amount of Slowmedown influence here, executed brilliantly with Nicethyme magic. Kathy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slow, this auction occurs in November. It is to support our local daycare.

Tasy, you are soooo right. In making this, the pics I had in front of me were Slows triptychs and then it occurred to me that what I was doing was a variation of her swirllies frin the ironboard. Remember her description of "slap down an object and work around it" thats what each of these squres was!lol and of course painting, I never would have tried my hand at painting if not for her creations! totally Slow inspired

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, good grief! We gotta wait two forevers to see how much that piece brings!!! Where's BAMA to say DAAA-HAAANNNG. Y'all better quit this SLOW stuff.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Once again I'm back in here with my coffee and am totally inspired.
    It certainly is a beauty, and there is even more beauty in your generosity.
    I think that is what makes so very inspirational.
    I know I could never match the artistry, but it encourages me to do what I can. Some artists never achieve, nor do they care to, that kind of inspiration.
    Your a true artist and a giver, you will never regret your generosity to the daycare.
    Sounds like Slow is your mentor, and what a fine job she has done.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Nice Thyme, I just came back to drool over your spectcular mirror. I bet it will go for big money!! YOu are awesomely talented and I am waiting for my next NT fix. What's your next piece??? Haven't seen you on lately maybe taking a well deserved artist break.

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Ok Slow, I'm here with my "Da-haaaaannnnggg" AND a HOLY DAWG SNOT!!
    Ain't our little NT grown into a bodaciously tallented artsy gal??

• texaswild
    15 years ago

And do you remember how long it took her to discuss starting her first project - that bowling ball. I well remember that. I thought she was puttin' us on w/the discussion. Then someone finally said "It's just a bowling ball." And what a ball she produced. Yes ma'am - she has blossomed. What an artist!!!

• katkerri
    15 years ago

Your mirror is just beautiful, Nicethyme.
    i feel like i'm in a cathedral or a lovely temple when i look at these pix!
    the spirit of the piece shines in peace.
    and it really is inspiring to think you started this creative journey with a found plain frame!
    i am in awe.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

It's Amazing! Gotta share how you get thousands for your work!!

Most of us get a few hundred.....gotta know.....!!!!!!!
    Are we not donating to the right cause or what?
    help us market like you do!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL you all are SOOOO SWEET!

I thought I'd pull this is for an update, I opened my paper yesterday and on page 2 I saw this

I am so thrilled to see it used as a special "draw" item in their ad - and then my NAME holy crow!

Auction is coming up soon!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Nice I just read whole posting. Double wow and congratulations. This one beautiful piece. Love everything that you have done here. All kinds of talent in this here forum huh?

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I know the feeling. When I saw my pictures re the Riana workshop, and THEN a friend called weeks later to tell me there were more pictures of me and my home in a monthly section of our paper showing several more of my mosaics, I was surprised and pleased. Congratulations - well deserved. Told you you'd be famous soon. I have a feeling there is LOTS more fame on the way. Whatcha workin' on now, lady? Can't wait to see how much this beauty brings the school.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

So...it's October, is it sold? It was so nice to revisit it again, you are so AMAZING!! And remember what you did to your DD's door??? WOW!!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

How great is that!
    Get in here and tell us all the details!

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

OMG!...I never even saw any of this, till right now, with the update.
    this was all being done, while I was away from the computer, all side-tracked with getting the kids' house all ready for their arrival from Ireland...
    they got here the 4th of August..man, that's been a fast 3 months..
    can't remember if I posted an update but they're expecting a boy the first part of January.

the mirror is absolutely stunning and in all the colors I love, love, love.
    and I'm so distressed that I can't be near that auction, just to feel the excitement that's going to be going on, for the sale...
    you are right up there, top drawer, with the finest of galleries, to introduce the art of mosaic at it's most profound beauty..
    and don't be shy to accept that.

you've grown from just an idea of what to do as a first project to THIS!!!
    I just may need to google search your newspaper listing....

Becky .(*_*).

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

So that's how it's done!
    That is really wonderful, best of luck to you on this auction.

• klinger
    15 years ago

Wow, it looks great and I bet it'll do great in the auction. Very cool that your item was featured that way. You deserve to be proud for such a great mirror.
    Cindy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well thankyou all Slow, Katie, Jane, Cindy, Fern, Becky, and lovemosaics...

Not working on anything currently,,, trying to keep focused on work and staying afloat as long as I can ya know...

but I am getting real excited for this auction to start

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler