Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Tile saws /Cutting bottles ....and ....

toomuchglass
9 years ago

Hello from a long ago member !!! I'm Toomuchglass ( Kathy ) I was here long ago when we did the mosaic frying pan exchange ! Some people might remember me , but I see a lot of new people bursting with awesome talent . Nice to meet you !
(I'll catch you all up on the conversation side. )

I'm back wondering if anybody has ever tried to cut a wine bottle --- Lengthwise. Like this :

https://gottles.com/items/planters/wine-bottle-planter

I've seen half bottles in a lot of mosaics , but it's a mystery on how to do it ! I thought I could do it with a small wet tile saw ... I bought one and on the first try -- stupid me took the guard off so I'd have room and got sprayed with water like a fire hose . DUH. I decided I need advice .... that's why I'm peeking back in ! If you have any ideas .... I'll thank you a million times over ! :)

Comments (9)

• texaswild
    9 years ago

Well, hellllllllllooooooooooo TOOMUCH!!!!! So nice to see you again. I check in periodically, but have left mosaics, so don't post anymore.

I've cut many bottles in half w/my wet saw. Let me guess - you bought a Harbor Freight table saw and got a shower. I did the same thing a few times b/f I realized that I was using it backwards. Turn your saw around and feed it from the front toward you. Hope that works for you.

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

Hello to both of you!!! I have missed seeing ya'll here and I'm NOT believing Slow left mosaics! You're my go to person!! By the way Slow, thanks to all your helpful advise I entered the mosaic deer table in our local craft show this week end and got Best of Show in crafts..... but the most exciting award was Best of Show voted on by attendees of the show!!
    I have never tried cutting a bottle.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You must have watched me cut with the harbor freight one !!!!! I got totally soaked the first time I used it ! LOL Then I did turn it around and stood behind the guard .
    Slow --- what are you doing now ? Hi Oldcrafty ! Congrats on your award !!!

• texaswild
    9 years ago

Well, CRAFTY, what a nice compliment, and CONGRATULATIONS on your show results. That's just fabulous. Don't think I've seen a final picture here, though. W/love to see it. I didn't think I'd ever leave mosaics either, but it happened. TOOMUCH: I'm into mixed media - art journaling, tag making, back into polymer clay occasionally, card making - altered art on canvas - you name it - paper/paint/glue - table work that is easy on the old back problems.

• meadel
    9 years ago

Hello TooMuch!
    Nice to 'see' you again! I have no hints on bottle cutting. I admire you all on wet sawing. I've never used one, but can only imagine the mayhem I'd create :-)
    Congrats Crafty! It must be such a cool feeling !

I'm glad to hear you're still creating art, Slow. I must say I had a lump in my chest when I read you quit mosaics. I so admire your mixed media..and you too!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm doing the Exact same thing Slow ! I'm taking a fiber art & mixed media class at the senior center ! I've been journaling and making fiber art .

***** Waving hello at Meadel !!!!!!

• emtnest
    9 years ago

Hi ladies.. hey Slow are you posting your new artform somewhere else? Good to see some of the oldie goldies!!

• texaswild
    9 years ago

Thanks, y'all, and what a nice l'il reunion. Re posting - I posted a few things on Flickr. I forgot to mention, I'm into jewelry making too. TOOMUCH - are you posting your art anywhere else? W/love to see what you're doing. I should join an art journaling group, but just haven't. Have lots of stuff I haven't posted into my Flickr album.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/27775881@N07/";

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slow -- you amaze me !!! I don't have anyplace to post my glass & other stuff. I'll have to look into that. My computer is going in for repair today , so I'll be offline - meanwhile ,I'll start taking pictures :)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor