Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-do mosaic table top

Posted by Upstate23C (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 19:55

I want to re-do my outdoor wrought iron mosaic table top, not knowing it should have been brought in during the winter freeze/thaw, the top is in a shambles. I started with a chisel and hammer to remove all the damaged terra cotta tile and mortar, after getting about half way around just the border, I was exhausted. What Power tool is the best one to use for this? The top of the table is wrought iron also. Thank you!

P.S. I think I posted this in the wrong place before, I'm new here, and getting my bearings!! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-do mosaic table top

My goodness. Sounds like you did a great job on the mosaicing, if it's that hard to take off. I haven't used one, but how about a grinder? Ask your local tile store the best way. I'm afraid I w/toss the table and buy another one.

o

How about just leveling it out with a new layer of mortar ?

o

You and I think alike, NT. I thought of saying that, but got to thinking that w/be a whoooooooole lot of weight on the table. Worth a try, though.

o

If the tabletop is small enough (less than 4 feet across) you might cut a piece of Wediboard (because it's light weight and weatherproof), apply a thick coat of thinset to one side of it, (thick enough to level everything out) and squash it down on top of the whole mess. Then re-mosaic, using thinset as the adhesive. The problem with this would be that you would have to deal with a whole new edge, higher up than the original wrought iron edge. The new edge would need to be sealed with thinset.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here