Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weldbond question

Posted by janmil (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 19:43

Hi --

Our mosaic group has been asked to assist in a project where 50 kids will make stepping stones (as many as possible) but they only have two 2 hour sessions to complete the work. The only way we can do this (and keep the cost low) is to glue glass on to preformed concrete stepping stones.

My Question -- will undiluted weldbond work for this exterior application? I have always used silicone adhesive for my own outdoor projects but the folks who are staging this project are concerned about fumes -- hence the weldbond option.

Anyone with experience in this? The bottle says that is can be used on concrete but I trust "real" experience more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weldbond question

No Weldbond..it re-hydrates. First bit of moisture things will be popping off everywhere. Thinset is your best bet. I can't remember, but I think a couple people have done successful projects with kids and thinset

o

You can buy a tub of thinset already to go...easy peasy! Kinda like peanut butter, just spread it on.

o

I had 9-10 yr olds working with thin set in pastry bags, they did great

o

We started making stepping stones this morning with just over 50 kids - always on preformed cement stones (this is at least our 8th year of stepping stones at art camp) with broken up tile (same thicknesses)

We use mapei pre-mixed tile adhesive that comes in a tub.

first we trace the stones on butcher paper on the tables, and the kids work out their designs there. Then the helpers get the adhesive on the stones and the kids transfer their pieces over. Then the next day we grout. We have learned to do the grouting outside!

The "transfer" is difficult for my class of 3rd graders, who take great care with their designs and are often disappointed that they don't remember where the piece goes - so today we glued butcher paper onto the designs with Elmers (I put the glue on the paper first) and we will transfer the whole mosaic this way, using a wet sponge to loosen the elmers & paper once the design is pressed into the adhesive.

Then the next day we'll grout. So, that's 3 days & 3hour sessions, but we do lots of other art projects at the same time!

I hope you will post pictures of your finished project!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here