Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imsunflwr1_gw

Mosaic Sphere Fountain

Imsunflwr1
12 years ago

Hi There!

My name is Marcia and I'm new to mosaics... so new in fact I'm signed up for my first class at the Chicago Botanical Arboretum starting in July. What I want to do is a fountain like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzetteh/202512139/in/set-72157594148190029

or this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbrucemontgomery/4587127124/

I've been doing a lot of reading here and other sites. I bought a 10" beach ball, the kind in the cages at Wal-Mart. Not a blow-up one. I think from what I've read I'm going to use Rigid Wrap and then a layer of Fiberglass mesh with Mapei UltraFlex II. I saw where someone had "primed" their ball first, but with what I'm not sure. Some kind of spray it looked like. Anyway... then let it dry and then more Mapei to adhere the tiles, then use as grout also. I'm not sure if I should remove the rubber ball? Also wondering how to do the plumbing? I'm thinking after the sphere has cured to drill a hole and use a PVC pipe? Like a said I'm a newbie and have no clue what I'm doing, but that's never stopped me in the past. If you have other ideas or suggestions please chime in! I sure would appreciate some advice. :)))

Thanks much and hope to hear from some of you.

Marcia

Comments (96)

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've scouted lots of Burdock plants (weeds) out in the country, but I believe the teacher supplies the leaves. My neighbor would kill me if I took one of her Rhubarb leaves... they never get very big though b/c she makes pies and cakes all season. Yummmm!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Yum, maybe she'll share the leaves with you after you learn the process. I'd probably use Philodendrum Selloum which does grow big here and is similar in shape though not quite as pretty.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Loribee2, maybe you would like to try and cover your table in the winter, keeping it from getting wet and freezing? I love that leaf tutorial too!

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm making progress... I got my garage cleaned out. May not sound like much, but it was a huge job and that's where I intend on making my sphere. I'm really ready to get going now... have the mortar, the FG mesh arrived, the ball, rubber gloves, mixing bowl! Now to take the plunge!

I did want to share this bit of info... I am really psyched. I found these tiles online and located a dealer. I spoke to them today and all I need is to order a minimum of $45.00! I don't have to order by the case. The 4" x 4" is $2.36. 12x12 is $5.29. More than HD, but look at the colors!!! The dealer is about 1-1/2 hr. away, but I want to see the colors in person and ORDER!!! I am really excited!

Hopefully I'll get started with the mortaring tomorrow!

Here is a link that might be useful: McIntyre Classic Porcelain Tiles

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness - what wonderful colors - sorta expensive, I think. Shipping???? W/you go pick them up instead of paying the shipping?

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I think so too... right up there with Wits Ends 4x4 tiles, but those colors!!! I'm going to have to limit myself to those that I can't find cheaper. I want some pinks, purples, turquoise.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

My biggest concern about the porcelain tiles would be the thickness. Porcelain is HARD. I had trouble cutting very thin porcelain tiles. I got some thicker ones on sample that I would never be able to cut if my life depended on it. So unless you're using a wet saw, see if you can get a sample of a porcelain tile before buying any quantity.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lori! I forgot about that. I plan on going there tomorrow. I know they have some in stock so I'm going to bring both my nippers and my tile saw... buy a few tiles, take them outside, and give it a try. That would be horrible to spend some $$$ and not to be able to cut it! Yikes! Thanks again for the warning!

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Well, I'm very much hoping you can work with them. I'm always looking for suppliers that will sell quantities under a case. Can't wait to see what you find out!

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a follow up on the tiles... I did make it to the tile store in LaGrange, IL and had a wonderful time... a really neat little store in a charming suburb of Chicago. I took my nippers with me and was able to cut the tile. They had some small 2x2 so I practiced on them. It did seem a bit harder, but I went ahead and ordered some 6x6 in Crimson and Emerald. Also ordered some Crossville Color by Numbers WT11 & WT12. Probably won't get those for several weeks. Also ordered some American Olean brights in Antique Rose, Peacock Blue, and Grape Soda. Hopefully I can get those b/c Lowe's said they've been discontinued. They also carry all of the TREND tiles that Wits End Mosiacs carries. It was fun seeing them in person. Some of the tiles will be mailed to me directly, but I'll have to drive back in a few weeks to pick up the Classic Porcelain tiles. I'm really excited about finding this source! Not cheap however!

HD called and the tiles I ordered arrived! That was quick! Picked them up and I really, really like them! Ordered a few more colors! Well, I should have enough tile for a while. Just need to get that sphere made!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crossville Color by Numbers

• texaswild
    12 years ago

WOW - you should have enough to make several projects. Beautiful colors. Also, have you thought of using glass tiles? I didn't see any pricing on their website. REALLY anxious to see your first pictures of your WIP.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yay! I finally started. My first experience with thinset and I learned a lot! My biggest fear was getting it mixed... wasn't sure of the proportions, but I think I got it right. Seemed right anyway. I used 3:1. I will do a few things differently when it dries enough to finish the first layer..

1. This stuff is sticky!

2. Use a larger stand. I didn't think about the weight getting unequal as I applied the mortar and had a hard time balancing it until I could get it evened out. Last thing I needed was it to fall over.

3. I need to come up with a better tool to spread. I tried my hands, but I don't like that. My hands were so glopped that I was having a hard time picking up the mesh or anything else without a huge mess! Tried a spatula and didn't like that either. What do you use?

4. Got my lazy susan out... this will help!

5. Cover my work surface! I'm using my old dog grooming table. It works out just perfect so I want it to last!

More later...

Here is a link that might be useful: It's a start!

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Congrats on getting started! It looks great so far!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Congrats on a great start. In order to get your thinset smooth, remember - I suggested you use a wet paint brush. I also use gloves that I use for dishwashing - Playtex - to spread it w/my hands - then the wet paint brush. Don't use your bare hands - that stuff w/ruin your skin. Gonna be interesting to watch this project. Aren't you excited???

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lori!

Thanks Slow... I was wearing gloves, but it was just so sticky, I did go to the store this afternoon and came across a great spatula for mixing and small plastic putty type knife for spreading the thinset. I finished the other half and the new tools worked out great. After I had the mortar spread and the FG set in I used my gloved hands to add more in areas that needed it and smooth. After that I did like you said and used the damp paint brush. I did remember you saying that, but I thought it was just for the last layer. It worked like a charm... very slick! Wish I would have done it for the first half, but now I know.

A few questions... How long should I wait before I put on the second layer. It should be dry by morning... can I do it then??? Or should I wait for a few days?

About how thick a layer of thinset do you strive for you when you spread it? I think my first layer ended up a bit thick.

A silly question... I decided to use Mapei UltraFlex II... does anyone else love the smell of it? I know... weird! lol!

• klinger
    12 years ago

Hi, you are doing great.I think the pic you showed as a first coat was about what you might expect. Think of this first coat as just the base. To get a good product that is going to stand up you'll need to build up to an even thickness or as close as you can through out the whole sphere, You can add subsequent coasts to it as soon as it has hardened up enough to accept the additional weight and still keep its shape. Concrete actually cures, It's a chemical reaction occuring where the portland bonds together the aggregate. At the one week stage, it will be at around 90 percent of how hard it ever will be. The first few days it will be pretty fragile, so if it starts to slump, or crack, just walk away and let it cure some more before you play with it anymore.You should always try and keep it wet while it cures for the first few days at least. That helps slow down the curing and it will be stronger.When you add any more coats make sure to only apply them to a wet surface, just spray it down with water or acrylic admix if you've got any.You'll get a much stronger bond that way.Get your base coat on before you need to worry much about how smooth it is,the wet brush trick will give you the smooth result you want when you are at your final coat. You may get hooked on playing with concrete and glass, it is tons of fun,so many possibiltes, too little time.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Klinger! Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice! I found a great little tutorial and after reading your reply as much as I want to do more I think I'm going to be patient and wait a few days before the next layer. I'll have to be sure and remember to mist it down before I apply the next coat. Great tip... thanks!

Here's a pic of the completed first layer. You can't really see it in this pic, but I'm leaving the top open. More pics on my Flickr page and my new favorite tools. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: great little tutorial

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh oh oh!!! It looks great, girlie. Isn't it exciting to be creating something like that? As SOON as I can find a stopping place, I'm gonna try that. You have first class advice from KLINGER. She's the pro on concrete for sure. Wish I could take a class from her. It's her little fragment bowl that got me all inspired to try this ball stuff.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pheeee-wy it's hot here... 99 degrees this afternnoon! The heat really zaps me, but I did stash my new haul of dishes from the TSA & GW and deflated the ball... it didn't have a valve so I just jabbed it with a knife and it was easily removed.

I think the next step is how I'm going to do the plumbing. I do have some ideas so I went out and bought what I think I'll be needing. After the plumbing is in I'm going to do at least one more layer of thinset and mesh. I'm having so much fun with this... just wish it weren't so darn hot. I'm anxious to get the structure done so I can get to designing, nipping, and mosaicing!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

You've done a fabulous job on this. Now you're a pro, and can teach!!! Very interested in seeing your next steps, and of course we'll be anxiously awaiting the color step. Ohhhhh I want to do this so bad, but I have tons more to do on the shrine, so can't start another project b/f finishing.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm a little bummed... the PVC pipe has really been displaced with the expanding and shrinking (photos on Flickr)... and is now no where near the middle. I'm a perfectionist and don't think I'll be happy with that and I can't move it. I'm thinking about starting over. Do the same only fill the ball with the foam, let it cure for a few days and then drill a hole down the middle for the pipe. It's so easy to cut I think it would be pretty easy to drill through, don't you? Trick would be to drill the hole straight and not end up at an angle. Think I'd rather start over than put the time and money into the mosaicing and not be happy. Think I'll practice drilling straight with this one. Am I crazy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Sphere Set

• texaswild
    12 years ago

If the ball is perfectly round, couldn't you make where the pipe comes out the new middle? Cut your ball hole around the pipe, instead of worrying w/the relationship of the pipe and middle. Then cover over the old hole w/tape/thinset - just work around where your pipe is instead of in relation to the existing hole. Hope I'm being clear. That's a very nice tutorial.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brilliant!!! What a great idea, Slow! I think it's pretty round, but I still have at least one more layer to even it out. I'm gonna try it! Thanks so much!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wonderful! Great tutorial.
    What is the purpose of the foam? Could you skip it, or use newspaper or packing peanuts (the old indestructable kind?)
    Kathy

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    I'm following the tutorial that's linked below. She did it to make the sphere stronger to support the mosaics and I thought it was a good idea although her sphere is much larger. What do you think? Do you think it would be strong enough with 3 layers of thinset and fg mesh to skip the foam?

Here is a link that might be useful: Yoga Ball Sphere for Mosaics

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I don't know cuz I've never done it. Perhaps fiberglass isn't as strong as the mesh people use here to make hollow statues. Hopefully one of them will weigh in.
    Kathy

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are you talking about the diamond lathe? That would definitely be stronger than the fiberglass mesh. Before I filled it with foam I had 2 layers of mesh and ts and it seemed quite strong. Plus I plan on adding at least one more layer, but since I have no experience I decided to go with someone who had. I'd hate to go to all the time and expense of mocaicing and have it collapse. I wish I knew for sure...

• klinger
    12 years ago

The wire mesh is by far stronger, however if you have made a good strong mix and let it cure properly it will have no problem holding the mosaics. The larger sphere I made is really strong and I wouldn't hesitate to mosaic on it. I also added acrylic admix and fibres to my mix, and cured it damp for a week,even the temps and humidity can make a difference in how strong your project will end up.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks klinger! I used UltraFlexII that has the fiber already in it, but next time I'd like to try your mix. Could you post your cement recipe. Also... to "cure it damp" do I just mist each layer, wrap it in plastic for a few days, and then do the same for the next layer? Appreciate your help!

• klinger
    12 years ago

When you keep a cement piece damp it slows the cure and makes the end project stronger. For something like a sphere I would wet towels or old rags etc and just drape them over the top and hose it down periodically. If you have a large enough tub you could plunk the whole thing into it and submerge it in water. especially with it being hot out. I use a lot of different mixes. I used three parts sand to one part portland, added fibres, used half and half acrylic admix and water. I also used a product called silica fume,but you really need to do a lot of cement work to be bothered buying something like that.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow, you've made a lot of great progress on this! And how nice of you to photograph and upload the steps to Flickr. It's always helpful to see the process, in the event I might get daring enough to try something similar. Looking forward to the next steps!

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks klinger... appreciate the info!

Hi Lori! I'm afraid I haven't made much progress lately. It's been so hot and we've had so much rain here I've been taking advantage of the soft ground and weeding! I was spending so much time on my sphere/tiles/dishes and neglecting everything else. I'm also trying to get my basement cleaned out to make room for my mosiacs studio. :) I've hauled all kinds of stuff to the Salvation Army and while there, have found all kinds of fun old dishes in so many cool colors and designs. Also had my Leaf Casting class Wed. night. It was so hot and humid that night, but 5 of us showed up and we got them cast. Will write more after I pick it up on Wed. evening. Can hardly wait to see what it looks like when turned over.

I hope to get going on the sphere again soon! What have you been up to?

• loribee2
    12 years ago

I hear you on the weeding. We live on clay, so weeding and planting are always done after rains, LOL. So cool that you've got a basement you can turn into a studio! I work in a shed outside, and while we don't get extremes here in California, I do use a fan when it gets hot, and I got a great space heater for cheap at Lowes. It blows air and reciprocates (? moves around I mean). I'm LOLing that you took stuff to the SA and came home with dishes.

I don't know if this works for you, but I tend to do my concrete work when the weather is mild. Was it Slow who said above that concrete cures best when it's wet? I also find it does better on cloudy days when it's neither too cold or too hot. I make a lot of stuff (stepping stones, bird baths, mushrooms, butterflies, etc.) on those days, then go back and mosaic them later, since that's more forgiving when it comes to weather. Plus it serves my ADD by having lots going on at once, LOL

As for me, I haven't been doing much art work. I went to a reunion out of state and brought my guitar to play for the family. Thus, I spent the weeks before practicing so I wouldn't embarrass myself! But while I was there, my brother gave me a ton of beautiful blue tiles. I'm salivating over them but am forcing myself to finish some things I started before starting something new. That's how it happens though! You'll get half way through something and get distracted by new pretty tiles or plates you just found and before you know it, you've got six things at the half way stage. LOL

I keep forgetting to ask you. You mentioned ordering tiles from HD. Do you know what brand and line you ordered? I've gone to my HD twice and both times, I get someone who barely knows what they're doing. They get all their catalogs out and go, "I think it's this" (think??) I've been afraid to order a case of something when they aren't instilling much confidence with me. Maybe if I can point to something specific, I'll have a better chance. Were they porcelain or ceramic?

I'm really enjoying watching your progress. LOVE the flowers you've drawn out on the sphere. I think after all the figuring and agonizing, you're going to end up with something really beautiful in the end!

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was just about ready to go to bed when this came in so I'll write more later, but follow the link below and it will take you to a set where I have the HD tile info.

I did receive them within a week and I love the colors I bought. I haven't cut any of the special order colors, but I did try out the in-stock colors and they cut/nip fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot tiles

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is so cool that you play the guitar! With regret I never learned to play an instrument. Maybe one of these days... you're never too old, right? I suppose you can sing too? I couldn't to save my soul, but I can lip sync real good! LOL!!

Here's another link below where I've ordered tile... I haven't mentioned it before b/c I haven't received them yet and probably won't for 2-3 more weeks, but I'm pretty excited. I saw these in the Lowe's catalog, but when I asked about ordering they said that all the "brights" had been discontinued, but actually they're made to order. I ordered several colors... expensive, yes, but the place that I drove into and ordered those McIntyre tiles from charged $191.25/carton so even with the shipping much less expensive and I'll have enough tiles for forever! LOL! Probably not once I really get going mosaicing. BTW I'm not getting those tiles from McIntyre... at least not for now, the factory burned down about 2 weeks ago. They hope to rebuild and be back in operation in about 4 mos. They're in CA so you might have heard? So sad!

That's a good idea about when to do the cement work. My time is pretty much my own so I can pick and choose when I want to do things. We do have beautiful Falls here that can run into Nov. which I am really looking forward to. I've had enough of 90+ degrees! I had to chuckle to myself as I was typing that statement about the SA and buying dishes, but that's me... and I know I'm not alone. hehehe!!!

I am really excited about getting the studio set-up. It will be nice and cool in the summer and there's a heat vent for winter. I used to have it set-up as my craftroom where I did decorative painting many years ago so the basics are there. There's still so much to do... in fact that's what I need to do is get downstairs and pack things up for the SA!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Olean Brights

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Congratulations on the studio set up.
    It sounds wonderful. I'm eager to see more of the mosaic sphere!
    Kathy

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tile information! That's really helpful. And yes, McIntyre tile is in Healdsburg, which is just north of me. I didn't realize their studio had burned down. How awful. I had heard that once a year they put on a big sale and sell off all their remnants, but I'd never gotten a chance to check it out.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I've made a bit of progress lately. I'm going to let it rest for a day or so and then add the final layer of thinset to try and even/smooth everything out. I think at this time I've done the best I can to correct the aligment of the pipe... besides it's getting heavy. 23.1 lbs.

Hopefully the rest of my tiles will arrive soon cause it's almost time to mosaic!!!

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Wow, it's even nice looking as just a big terra cotta ball!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

WONDERFUL JOB! Love all the pics!

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The top 2/3rds are done. I did add another layer of mesh to the top and then just thinset. Will wait a few days and add another layer to the bottom third. A bit on the lumpy side and not the perfect sphere I was hoping for, but am just going to chalk it up to my first attempt. I've learned a lot from this one and will do things a bit differently next time...

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Calamity!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Looks terrific to me. I'm so anxious to see this finished and placed in its home. Can you show us a picture of where you plan to put it?

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Yes, do show us where it will go in the garden.
    Kathy

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the location, but right now it's covered in Zinnias!... it's a little nook by the stairs to my deck. I've always planted annuals there b/c I've wanted to do a pond for years and just never have. I have the basin, pump, and outlet ready, but am just hoping to get the mosaicing done by the end of summer/fall. I'll probably wait til next season to actually set it up as a fountain otherwise I'd end up having to take it right out again for the winter... besides the zinnias will bloom til frost and I just can't dig them out... they are so beautiful!

If you look at my garden pictures... the picture of the white clematis is what's behind the zinnias which is now done blooming. In anticipation of this fountain I planted 2 new ornamental grasses, but they're so small right now you can barely see them behind the zinnias.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Oh wow! What a beautiful garden!

Your fountain will be just right there or anywhere.

It almost makes me want to move, but I'll get over that feeling by January when I'm sitting outside reading and enjoying all the birds that winter over here. Each place has it's own good points.

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rock!

"It almost makes me want to move, but I'll get over that feeling by January when I'm sitting outside reading and enjoying all the birds that winter over here. Each place has it's own good points."

LOL!!! That's the truth! Come January I'll be begging to come down there for a visit! :) The winters do get long here, but when it's in the 90s the summers do too. I want it all... high of 70, low humidity, and overcast skies. lol!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

That's one of the most beautiful flower gardens I've ever seen. You must spend most of your time working outside in that lovely place. Your fountain w/be at home anywhere in it. Where do you live?

• Imsunflwr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! I'm up in northern Illinois near the Wisconsin border.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! The fountainw ill be the icing on the cake. or maybe the icing is there already and it will be the second tier!

beautiful beautiful combinations of plants.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz