Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
d3bbi

Morton Portable Glass Shop - Slow and Others

d3bbi
16 years ago

I'm THINKING about buying the Morton Portable Glass shop that Slow keeps reminding us how much she loves. I believe whatever Slow tells me and her advice is always right on. : ) My question is what size Morton grid do I need? I have the small size and am wondering if I need to buy another one. I'd be glad to spend my money on glass if I don't need it.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Hey Debbie, I'm right there with ya. I'd love to hear more about this item also. I use a lot of squares, diamonds, triangles. I remember Slow saying how fast it was to cut them with this.
    Thanks for bringing this up!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Hey, y'all. Just thought I'd do a quick check of the board before heading off to bed. To tired to respond to them all tonight, but since my name is in the title of this one, I'm hanging in to respond. Get the large grid, by all means. It is WONDERFUL, even if you don't get the MGP, but it is necessary for the system to work at its best. Y'all w/LOVE that system. I haven't made anything but the squares, rectangles and diamonds, but LOVE it.

• d3bbi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Slow. I'm going to a glass shop next week so think I will make this purchase. I have the small grid but will buy another one to glue them together.

On Stained Glass Warehouse website, he gives you all the argument to justify this purchase. He says when you buy glass tiles, you are paying about $20 up per square foot but when you buy the glass you can pay about $6-9 a square foot. So I think I'll buy some the Portable Glass Shop and Van Gogh sheets to make my own tiles. I just needed to know if I needed the large grid so I will purchase that too.
    THANKS!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

EXACTLY why I started cutting my own tiles. I looked at those few tiles they sell in pkgs, figured the cost, counted how many tiles I get from a sheet of glass, and WOW - what a difference in cost. AND, w/cutting the sheet into grids, you can snap out that whole sheet very quickly. I won't EVER buy ready-cuts again.

• crystal01
    16 years ago

My first glass purchase was on 12/26/06 (Merry Christmas to me!) 42.00 worth of glass and $169.00 for the Morton Small Surface and Portable Glass Shop, cutting Oil and Fletcher Gold Tip Pistol. THE BEST BUY I COULD EVER MAKE! I recently bought the Morton Safety Break System. How did I live without that! I can score a tiny piece and cleanly split it w/ the safety break. AWESOME!

Here is a link that might be useful: Morton Glass

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Slow led me to it also...so easy to cut those little squares..haven't tried triangles yet...Love it best thing i ever did for myself!

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

Hi, did you all learn how to use it (the Morton System) using the audio instructions?
    I'm thinking of buying one, but it looks confusing, when you read the manual.
    Thanks,
    Bianchi

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Bianchi you'll love it! The audio instructions were worthless to me. I learn better by doing so I just jumped right in. It took me a while to figure our how to do the diamonds but once I got the hang of it was like a "DUH!" moment.

• gibsona
    16 years ago

You ladies are dangerous!! I've been pondering getting one but today decided that I just had to have one. I have listened to Slow sing it's praises too much. :) So, since I've been Mom and Dad for 14 years, I'll just consider it a "Special Dad" present to myself.
    Have a good one!
    Ann

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I should get a commission from some of these companies. LOL.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

so Crystal, the safety break is worth it? cause there's a start up kit that includes it with the cutting system, along with the maxi grid.

so the question is... what prices are you all finding and where?

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Nice I didn't think I need the safety break but now it's my favorite tool. I bought mine at my local SG store.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

O.K> mine did not come with video so how do you cut the diamonds? I got the squares but thats all so far..Thanks Annie

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Annie,

Cut a strip (for this example lets say a 1" wide strip.)

Set your bar at a 60 degree angle. (I'm right handed so my bar is going to the left)

Score and remove a small scrap from the strip.

Using the scrap and the orange Cutter Gauge set the yellow Glass Stop at the end of the scrap.

Move the glass strip to the yellow Glass Stop.
    Score and remove the 1st diamond.

After making the 1st diamond, check your accuracy by rotating the diamond to the strip as shown. The diamond, in this position, must be the same width as the strip. If the diamond is not the same width, adjust the Glass Stop.
    If you made adjustments to the yellow Glass Stop, recheck the 2nd diamond.

Photos and instructions on page 20 of the instruction book.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Thanks Crystal I'll give it a try ...I can't follow book instructions I just wing it....annie

• d3bbi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bought mine today and lots of glass! Need to open the box now and read; hope to try it out tomorrow. : )