Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Varying thicknesses of tiles

loribee2
13 years ago

I apologize if this has been asked a zillion times. I've been on the internet for hours watching videos and searching sites and just don't have the energy to keep looking! ;-)

I just covered my first stepping stone with mosaic tiles using thinset. The tiles I used were varying thickness, so I didn't even think about it--I simply slathered on more thinset to "build up" the thinner tiles so they roughly matched the thickness of the others. After going back to the computer to see how people generally grout, I ran into something that said not to do that--that thinset is intended to be thin and it will never ever dry if I put too much on.

I'm guessing my thickest layer of thinset wasn't more than 1/4". Should I worry?

Also, when watching all the videos, I noticed most people cleaned off their grout with a dry towel. I'd always seen grout being cleaned from tiles with a damp sponge. Which do you use?

Thanks in advance for your help! I typically hang out at the Garden Junk forum and never realized this one existed. Can't wait to start searching your photos. I LOVE checking out the pictures!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022