Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Calamity Left Her Heart in Texas

texaswild
12 years ago

I made the heart from diamond metal lath/mortar a few years back. During CALAMITY's visit my neighbors - J and D sat in my swing as we discussed my upcoming experience in composting - CALAM insisted I give it a try. J admired the cone-shaped planter as we sat there, and CALAM didn't miss it. Later, she asked if she could have the heart to mosaic as a gift for J. Of course. She did a fabulous job. We presented the gift last evening, and J loved it. CALAMITY's work is exceptional - wish I could do that. This was one of the many things we enjoyed during her visit. I miss her very much today.

Calamity's Heart

Comments (23)

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Love the picture and love the heart! Thanks much for posting it. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Its a beauty for sure. I'm eager to see more pics of things you two did during her visit.
    Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Very pretty heart, beautifully done and a great gift.

The album is amazing too. Lots of great inspiration pieces. I don't think we've seen those before.

Love the subject line.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    12 years ago

Slow..I just sent an email to calamity and moments ago, got a reply back from her...
    I've been so far distant from all of this, I had no idea that y'all were even connecting..
    I've missed sooooo much and miss all of you soooo much more.

it's great to see that you guys all still stay so close.
    I can't even begin to say how much I've missed, these past few months..
    great photos....always....strawberry

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well hey, there STRAWBERRY. Miss you. Wish you'd join the fun and stay connected. I still love this forum. CALAM and I crammed so much into the week she was here, you wouldn't believe it. We thoroughly enjoyed every day of her visit. She was the easiest house guest I've ever had.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Hey Ya'll! WHAT A TIME!!!! That Lady can wear a person out!!!!lol! We crammed about 2weeks worth of fun into just one week!!!ha! The Hostess with the Mostess!! Hope this works:posting a few pics, will get the album posted soon...you have to realize...this is me in 104degrees!!! (I'd have to crawl in my oven to feel that warm in Nanaimo!!!ha! A few pics:Betty grouting her heart for her wall, a pic of the wall after grouted, the cone planter that inspired the heart I did(just copied Slow's design)..

• aka_strawberrygoat
    12 years ago

a whole week?....omg....really?...when was it? and no doubt, I can imagine how much fun you both had. I'm in the process of restructuring my entire self and life now.

all has been put on hold, for the past number of months..and now, emerging again, as the memamorphosis continues.

but been doing the porcelain painting and continue with pen and inks. Pen and ink seems to be the one medium that can take me away to places more tranquil.

I'm thrilled that you two got to have a great time, at your own queendom....it's on my 'tour' list...lol

Becky

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Those are absolutely fantastic pieces! Great work, really inspiring for this newbie.

Looks like the flowers were made from cups and you used the inside curve for them. I'm guessing that to do that I would need to find cups with color/texture on the inside.

Thanks so much for posting this.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ROCK: I used cups and bowls. The curves can be your friend lots of times. Mugs from the $ store are cheap when you can't find whole sets of dishes. Right now, Walmart is carrying four wonderful colors in place settings for four - yellow, lime green, orange and oh, good grief, CALAM - remind me of the other color. They're $25. for the set. Next time I go to WM, I'm buying all four sets. That's what I used on the red planters - dishes from a red set I found at WM at Christmas time. It's a great buy - cheaper than tiles. Thanks, CALAM, for posting such great pictures.

• loribee2
    12 years ago

LOVE the pictures! That wall is an amazing piece of artwork, and I love the heart. How creative to let the flower stick out like that. I would never have thought of something like that. Wonderful, wonderful! So jealous you two get to meet and craft like that. What great fun!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The flower and heart were to cover the rebar stakes. Still have one more to cover - a giant butterfly. I have the body done, but I want to start on my next project I'm planning. CALAM bought me a concrete statue - 2 ft. tall - of the Lady of Guadalupe, and I am going to build a grotto to house her. Need to finish the wall project so I won't have that hanging above my head. BTW - why is the GW doing this w/a red screen, or is it just my computer. I don't like it, whatever - makes it hard to read.

• wackyweeder
    12 years ago

A grotto? Oh goody goody! I was just talking with some others the other day about them. You guys are the speed sisters! awesome stuff and I love seeing it!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Made a little progress on the grotto yesterday. I can already tell it's not gonna end up in the same design as CALAM and I envisioned - making it up as I go. BTW CALAM, I clicked on one of your photos and went through the whole album. Thanks for making the album. I made a new album on my Photobucket albums of my gardens, if anyone is interesting in checking it out. ROCK mentioned that y'all hadn't seen the ones in the "Gifts" album. If y'all don't know how to navigate Photobucket, you can click on the person's name, and get the list of all albums. I have several other albums, but mostly post out of "My Queendom". Thanks again, CALAM for your photography.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

Boy, you guys are simply amazing!!! What beautiful pieces you have done!! I love the grotto idea and I will be watching it's progress. Thanks for being so helpful and encouraging to a, so far, one time wonder!! LOL

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

hey hey hey!!!! Calam in Texas, no wthat must have been awesome. How the heck are you Jane? great pic, love that the flower was 3D on that heart.

Like Strawberry, I have been away from the art for a while... looking to regain my work/fun balance... but came across Slow on flickr and she tells of your trip and... gosh I miss you two sooooo much.

so dish, who's stash is bigger? Calamity or Slow? mmm inquiring minds want to know! lol

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bless my soul - looky who's here who has been AWOL for soooooooo long. I can't tell you, NT, how wonderful it is to see you show up here. I've thought of you so often, and many times thought about emailing, but didn't take the time to sit long enough. Hope this won't be the last time you post here. Show us what you're working on.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

LOL, I have been AWOL from art all together for a while.. but I'm trying to dip my feet in again! I have really mssed you and Janey here and I will make an effort to post a WIP soon, I have just decided that there will be some mosaic on my sculpture so I'll make a post on her soon.

• stjohnsgypsy
    12 years ago

I am blown away!!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I was just showing all my pics of my trip to Slow's to my hubby, and the one thing I said to him was "I only have a 1/4 the "stash" Slow does!!! He just shook his head in wonder/horror(neat freak has to contend with Jane the Hoarder!lol!) I maybe have closer to the same amount Slow...but You have cooler stuff!!!ha! It was so bad when I was there....I was going around her studio and opening everydrawer and looking at everything...like a kid in a candy store!ha! I did stop myself from taking pics of her "Stash" HA! Plus we went to HobbyLobby...WAAAH, We don't have that awesome store here in Canada. :-(

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

lol, I would too Jane, I would too

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Slow's stash does look very interesting from the pics so not surprised at all you were looking at it all.

Hobby Lobby is amazing isn't it? They have everything and plenty of it. Their sales are great, you can wait for prices to drop down to 90% off on seasonal stuff.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, y'all. There were no hidden secrets w/Janeybo in the house. She found out that even though on the surface everything is neat and orderly, and nothing out of place (decorator freak here), that underneath is total chaos - absolutely NOTHING orderly. In fact, it's downright disgraceful - my cupboards/drawers etc. Can you come for another week, Janey, and clean it all up. My daughter said she'd do it for me, but she knew that a month later, it'd all be back to the same shape. :(

• emtnest
    12 years ago

Oh you had so much fun!!! I've been on a 3 1/2 month vacation. So now am back, hope to get house and yard in order so I can get back to art. Feel the need to create! Love your hearts, they are so pretty!!!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks