15 years ago

the start

I'm not sure what I'm doing on the sides yet... something like this

here's the top done

Comments (25)

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Nice,

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH Pretty. Another work of art in process.

I like the color combination and all of teh different shapes, especially the star in the middle. Are those BB"s in between the diamonds??? Question , if they are BB"s or ball chain, do you put them on before you grout or afterwards?? Looks like before for your box, but just wondering.

Can't wait to see how you finish it!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Ohhh, another nice box! Gotta love the BBs, I just scored some at a garage sale! Nice glass tiles!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, NT, I LOVE that box. The design is really nice, as well as your color combo, and hey, did you get the morton or Beetle system? LOOKEY at those diamond shapes. This is definitely a "jewel" of a box.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mermaid, I put everything on before grouting as I feel being in the grout strengthens the pieces.

Jane, your scored boxes or BBs? someone just gave me a carton of copper bbs! these are actually ball chain cut up cause thats what I had.

Thanks Slow, nope still no cutting system here. Those are my unprecise un measured eyeballed diamonds!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize you were cutting those diamonds free-hand! Impressive!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What great colors!
    You do a great job cutting those diamonds.
    They give me fits!
    Great work.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

OH My goodhness NT, however did you make those perfect cuts by hand??? I haven't even got the nerve to try and cut them with my beetle bits yet. actually i was playing around and got some diamonds i wasn't trying for. Hmmm

thanks for the info on grouting AFTER the bb's ball chain etc. That's what I'll do.

Such a pretty box.. can't wait to see it finished.

• redcrowarts
    15 years ago

looking nice and I like the colors. Great diamond cuts

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks everybody!

here's what I've done on the front so far

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Lookin' good NT!!! I'm on the look out for such a box, 1 for me, and 1 for Klinger to do.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Ooooooooooo - I see some clay tiles in there too. Boy, oh boy, you're making those brown glass tile fit beautifully, and I love how you sprinkle the ball chain about. That brown glass looks very textured. What kind is it? Who is this box for?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This has always been my jewelry box so it will be back on my dresser when done. The brown tiles are a thick glass tile that Linlee used on her bathroom walls and donated some extras for a 3rd place prize of the art contests we had at Carl's. I just love making those clay tiles, it amazes me how pretty they turn out! lol

• redcrowarts
    15 years ago

looking great and so nice to re purpose your own box and make it new again. Very nice

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Glad you are making something for yourself. You deserve it. It's lovely. You have really perfected the clay technique.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here it is ready for grout, I just haven't decided on color yet

this is what I did on both sides

here's the back

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Now grout that puppy!!! I'm living vicariously thru you!!lol!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Gorgeous - looks like a Linlee-inspired box. Truly beautiful. Anxious to see what color you decide for grout. I LOVE this box.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slow, you are right my inspirationm was the one Linelee made for Rosmarythyme in the holiday exchange. I've been box hunting ever since and finally decided to remake my own jewelry box.

here it is

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Absolutely breath taking!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!!!!!! I missed this yesterday. NT - what can we say except this is just too beautiful for words. Not to take anything away from Linlee's box, but ahem - I like yours better, and I'm NOT telling why. I know you must be super proud of this one. How I'd love to have one of those sitting on my dresser.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Oh Nice, this is gorgeous!!! Good job! You'll love using it now!!! Eye Candy for your Eye Candy!!!

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Love this...some of my favorite colors!!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

So pretty....saving this for future. would love to make
    something like that.....lovely work.

• angs_pool
    13 years ago

This is SO PRETTY!!!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz